Wifi problems after Shield Experience 8.0 Update

vdatanet
Go to solution Solved by Flibi,

vdatanet

There are known wifi issues after Shield Experiencie 8.0 Update. When playing a high bitrate movie it stops constantly. You can try:

- Use a wired connection
- Disable 2.4 Ghz band on router/ap
- Set different SSDIs for 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands
- Hard reset doesn’t fix the issue

If you find another workaround, post it here.

Those who still have problems with Wi-Fi post router model here, this can help identify the issue and we will report it to Nvidia.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

My shield is experiencing this problem. How do u fix it.

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for Nvidia to fix the problem. Here I just try to collect information to see what is common in those users who have wifi issues and report it to Nvidia.

BillOatman

I had a similar problem when I first got the shield.  I was on the phone with their tech support people and the solution was to remove the 2,4ghz band profile from being used all together on the shield.  He said the shield was flipping back and forth between the 2 profiles as the signal strength changed on them both, causing the interruptions,  It worked immediately and has not been a problem since.  

I didn't need to change my router, just told the shield it could only use the 5ghz band.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but worth a try!

Edited by BillOatman

vdatanet

I tried that still no good.

Most users report that setting 2.4 or 5 Ghz band on the shield doesn't work, try to disable 2.4 Ghz band on your router.

vdatanet

I have a Google router. It's mesh. Can't do it.

I've never used that router, can you indicate different SSIDs for each band? Several devices, not only the shield, make a mess with the same SSID for different bands.

Something similar to:

5d51a0b3cd8fa_unnamed.png

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

I had a similar problem when I first got the shield.  I was on the phone with their tech support people and the solution was to remove the 2,4ghz band profile from being used all together on the shield.  He said the shield was flipping back and forth between the 2 profiles as the signal strength changed on them both, causing the interruptions,  It worked immediately and has not been a problem since.  

I didn't need to change my router, just told the shield it could only use the 5ghz band.

Not sure if this will help anyone, but worth a try!

This has worked in some users and in others it doesn't, I think it's better to have different SSIDs for each band.

miniz98

I think I'm going to return it. My mibox was more stable. So crazy such a expensive box and after 8.0 they never fixed the problem.

vdatanet

I think I'm going to return it. My mibox was more stable. So crazy such a expensive box and after 8.0 they never fixed the problem.

Nvidia Shield is a good box, but update 8.0 is full of issues. For me the biggest one is the Wifi. And the worst part is that I think they don't know what happens and I don't think it will be fixed soon. I think a public beta was missing before launching the final version, and because of this, it is full of bugs.

This is a symptom of low quality software, too many issues in a final version.

Edited by vdatanet

miniz98

WiFi has always been a issue with this box. I purchased it a year ago and sold it because of this. I repurchased 2 days ago and it still has issues. What good is a 180.00 Android box with sh*** WiFi.

miniz98

Ok so I told the shield to connect to 2.4 disabled 5ghz and turned off ip6 and seems to be stable. I'll keep you posted. Didn't change anything on router.

I have the same issue with my WIFI 5GHZ since the last update. I get the buffering message with big video files (4k videos). Turning off the WIFI 2.4ghz don't help.

vdatanet

I have the same issue with my WIFI 5GHZ since the last update. I get the buffering message with big video files (4k videos). Turning off the WIFI 2.4ghz don't help.

What router model do you have? I will try to make a list of problematic routers and I'll post them in the new horrible nvidia forum. Now we have:

ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware Virsion: 3.0.0.4.382_51640-g679a7e3
Google Router Mesh
NB6VAC
Unifi AP AC LR, USG Pro 4

I'll update this with your feedback. I hope it helps but I doubt it.  :(
Edited by vdatanet

What router model do you have? I will try to make a list of problematic routers and I'll post them in the new horrible nvidia forum. Now we have:

ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware Virsion: 3.0.0.4.382_51640-g679a7e3
Google Router Mesh

I'll update this with your feedback. I hope it helps but I doubt it.  :(

I use my ISP modem : NB6VAC.

vdatanet

I see what you mean @@vdatanet, they're horrible.

Horrible and useless, you can't search on the forums, not even see your own posts. I try to see posts related to problems with Wi-Fi and it is impossible. After the update of the Nvidia Shield, bad time to change the forums.

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

It is the same method Plex used when the were having their worst problems:

Change the forum style to something much harder to use and generally worse and you reduce the apparent problems users are having.

The harder it is to use your forums the fewer problems you actually see and the less interaction you need to have with disgruntled users.

It is quite simple: "It's not a problem if you do not see it or hear about it."

• Like 1

Tell it to only connect to 2.4 GHz. Mine has been stable. I also turned off ipv6

2.4GHZ is not powerful enough to stream videos with very high bitrate.

vdatanet

Bad news, nothing to address wifi issues in the next hotfix (Second Hotfix):

Quick update. Hoping to share the second HotFIx image tomorrow with these issues addressed:

- Multiple Streaming apps failing to play for small number of users, netflix errors 116/115.
- The match content color space displaying incorrect format. 
- Can't set the default launcher. 
- VC1 playback not working.
- Volume UI with android P too bright, takes too long to disappear.
- Some controllers joysticks snap back to the center at the end of joystick travel. (Was in First HotFIx image)
- IR volume control not working when anything is turned on in accessibility
- When using Adoped storage, sdcard/InternalStorage not accessible.
- SHIELD Remote App connection issues & d-pad not working
- SHIELD Controller 2017 fails OTA with "accessory disconnected" error.

If you are interested in this hotfix:

Edited by vdatanet