Can't get games working

Jazzer

Jazzer
Well, I have followed every possible guide about gaming for emby, but I cant make it work, I don't know if Im doing something wrong.

I have created a media library in my hard drive (E:\Emby games) 

I created a organized folder (E:\Emby games\Windows\Game name\Game iso file)

I downloaded GameBrowser plugin from the plugin catalog

I have setup a Game Sytem (E:\Emby games)

I scanned the folder yet nothing changes

I updated metadata of the folder yet nothing changes

All of that but when I enter in the game folder it is completly empty, I enter Windows and nothing shows.

Can anyone pls help me?

Hi, the game system needs to point to the game system folder, not your games library folder. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

No. The hierarchy should be 

games library -> game system -> game

You need to configure the games library folder in emby library setup. Then in GameBrowser configure the game system sub-folders.

Jazzer

Ok, but the game must be an ISO file or a game folder with data and .exe?

Sorry if it is a dumb question, im new with emby  :(

The gamebrowser plugin is a community addition, and as a result I will not know the answer to all of these questions. But looking at the source code, these appear to be the accepted extensions for windows games:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/GameBrowser/blob/master/GameBrowser/Resolvers/GameResolver.cs#L287

@@shaefurr, @@jachin99, @@eraser8 may have more tips.

jachin99

I haven't looked at this or tried to use it in over a year.  What Emby Client are you using?  Are you using emulators, or are these windows games?  I think gamebrowser itself just passes off command line arguments to various programs.  I only ever tried this with dolphin, and emby had no problem seeing my IOS files but I only ever tried in Emby for Windows Media Center, and I never got it working correctly.  I think you point game browser to your emulator executable, and create a game library in the emby library setup.  

Jazzer

Hi, Im using windows pc games, no emulators, no console games.

Im using the lastest emby client (no emby premiere if that matters)

shaefurr

I believe with windows games they will only work in Emby Classic (windows media center), not Emby Theater. Last time I checked there was a separate configurator for windows games for emby classic. Each game had to have its .exe set up, but I haven''t used that in years so honestly nowadays I don't know.

Getting emulators to work isn't hard, but I don't use it for windows games anymore so I can't really help.

Have you checked the guide here to see if it helps? https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/16380-gamebrowser-guide/

Check the extra setup section

Edited by shaefurr

jachin99

I think gamebrowser requires emby premier. Also try adding a batch script that launches something like notepad and add it as a game in emby just to see if emby will execute the script. If it does then maybe you could add batch scripts for each of your games and launch those. You might even be able to create a mixed content type library with nothing but exe files or batch scripts and skip game browser all together? Something to look into

Jazzer

Well, after a couple of attempts I got Emby to recognize a gbwin file, but obviously it doesn't let the game start, because it's empty.

What can I do now?

Edited by Jazzer

Unfortunately emby theater does not yet support gbwin. It's something that was but specifically for emby for wmc. It's something we can support in the future though.

• 4 years later...
Polypinkh
On 12/30/2023 at 5:45 PM, Polypinkh said:

It looks like you've done everything right so far with creating folders and using the GameBrowser plugin.

However, it's strange that your game folders appear empty. Have you checked if the file extensions for your game files are compatible with Emby? Sometimes, certain formats might not be recognized.
If you ever need a break from the tech troubleshooting, I've recently gotten into what I think are the best apps that win you real money. It's a cool way to mix up your gaming routine and potentially score some extra cash.

Edited by Polypinkh