Force Aspect Ratio (persistent User Playback setting)

OmniiOMEGA

crusher11

I actually am right, though. It's literally objectively correct to watch things in their intended aspect ratio and literally objectively incorrect to watch them in any other ratio.

Bottles51

I agree and have requested this in the past as well. A setting to auto stretch or auto zoom 4.3 content would be nice. And for everyone who would like to watch there show as intended, it is a setting you don't have to use.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
aaronsomek

Going to bump this thread to add my +1. Having a toggle to set the Aspect Ratio would be fantastic. I'm constantly having to change the aspect ratio for the tv shows that I watch.

My suggestion would be to have the setting as a toggle per library as well as per series/movie, so I can set it for my whole TV shows library and also be able to toggle it off if needed from within each shows landing page.

Please add this feature, it would be fantastic. (For Windows Theatre)

Edited by aaronsomek
  • Thanks 1

OmniiOMEGA
33 minutes ago, aaronsomek said:

Going to bump this thread to add my +1. Having a toggle to set the Aspect Ratio would be fantastic. I'm constantly having to change the aspect ratio for the tv shows that I watch.

My suggestion would be to have the setting as a toggle per library as well as per series/movie, so I can set it for my whole TV shows library and also be able to toggle it off if needed from within each shows landing page.

Please add this feature, it would be fantastic. (For Windows Theatre)

Good to see more people are requesting this feature, now a matter of time for @Luke & @ebr to make it happen

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
genfuzuki

+1 please. I have moved to an iPhone XS Max and everytime I start emby i have to change the playback from normal to strech so it fills the screen. It would be nice if i could set this as a default...

Thanks

Edited by genfuzuki
spelling mistake

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
3 minutes ago, Generalfuzuki said:

If this is not an option, how about double click or pinch expand to stretch (like Plex/Netflix/Disney/Appletv) ?

Hi, I would say the saving as well as quick shortcuts are both possible.

visproduction

I work in post production and anything we do, the Aspect Ratio has to be original.  I understand that some users, who have a large TV, like to have the screen filled and they maybe don't notice any aspect ratio stretching.  There is some lessor known history of this debate.

Cable companies can build into their boxes flip aspect ratio.  They used to have that available on the remote.  They have taken it off in 2016 because they got too many support calls from users who can't remember how to flip it back.

Software players like VLC has a built in zoom function that flips to other Aspect ratios.  Ironically it's probably mostly used to correct Aspect ratio problems, rather than fill the screen.

Browser video playback supposidly can take video content and stretch or squash it with CSS styles.  I never found a video codec that let me do that. All my style change tweaking just changed the overall video size. What's interesting here, is I have never seen this done online.  Has anyone in the forum, found this option working anywhere online?

TV manufacturers just don't bother offering this option at all.  A zoom function would need to rescan and blur some pixels into larger or smaller pixel groups.  The quality of the focus, details in blacks, color edges would all drop dramatically.  If any TV was running with zoom turned on in a store, their sales for that model would drop, because any TV next to it, that ran the correct size, would look much better.

TV manufacturers believe if a user wants to see widescreen movies at a particular size and height, they can just buy a larger TV.  It's rather easy, although a blow to your budget, to get 85" diagonal.  Exactly how big do you want that movie to be on your wall?

Having been paid to get video content perfect,  I personally cannot watch anything with a wrong Aspect Ratio.  I can spot if it is off by a couple of pixels.  It's like fingernails on the chalkboard for me.  I also cannot listen to music on 2" speakers or watch anything that is not color balanced or at an incorrect speed.  My soundmeister and editing training forces me to only buy expensive quality gear or don't bother.  It's tough and tends to ding my wallet.

It's fine if the feature to change Aspect Ratio is turned on, if it can work.  It could be nice for myself, if I want to fix a incorrect AR.  I bet you will get many more support requests how to turn the damn thing off!

Edited by visproduction
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
Darius

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\mpv\

If you go in this folder, create a file named mpv.conf and add this line:

keepaspect=no

then it should automatically stretch for all content, you can also create instead a file named input.conf and assign a key to aspect ratio switching if you prefer that, more info in mpv docs.

• Thanks 2

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
aquiveal

I don't have a monitor or TV near my workspace, but I enjoy watching content while I work. My 14-inch laptop screen isn't ideal, so I use a stand for my Samsung Z Flip 4 phone. Unfortunately, due its 22:9 aspect ratio, I still get black bars on all sides of the videos, literally even the top and bottom. Manually changing the aspect ratio for each episode is frustrating. It would be great to set an aspect ratio per device or even have a pinch-to-zoom feature.

Screenshot_20240224_063400_Emby.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...