No Access to Dashboard after Update to 4.2.0

lonnieb554

lonnieb554

Updated to version 4.2.0 today (08.03.19|18:45 CST)

After the 4.2.0 updated completed and the server reloaded, there were several plugins requiring update and a message to reboot server for updates to be installed.

After reboot to allow updating to plugins server loaded but  I no longer have access to the server dashboard.

I am logged in as an Administrative user and have tried all available links from the home page to no

avail.

I don't see anything obvious here. What happens if you open up a web browser on the server  machine to this address:

http://localhost:8096

lonnieb554

Exact same thing - still no access to Dashboard.

I remember having this happen once before about a year ago but like you indicate I was still able to access Dashboard from the server, just not remotely.  This time I cannot access it locally either.

When you responded I was about to experiment with restoring the system.old to system and rebooting to see if it would attempt the upgrade again.  Maybe something was missed but not indicated in the logs.

Will this work?

You could try restoring i suppose. But back to my question earlier when you try putting this into a browser:

http://localhost:8096

What does the browser say? Are you sure that Emby Server is running at the time you tried this?

Happy2Play

Exact same thing - still no access to Dashboard.

I remember having this happen once before about a year ago but like you indicate I was still able to access Dashboard from the server, just not remotely.  This time I cannot access it locally either.

When you responded I was about to experiment with restoring the system.old to system and rebooting to see if it would attempt the upgrade again.  Maybe something was missed but not indicated in the logs.

Will this work?

A old server version (system.old) should have nothing to do with a users admin ability.

Since it is your server I would check the users policy.xml to see if it is still listed as a Administrator.

Login as your users and click your user icon top right, then click Display.  You will see your userid in the url.

Now navigate to your server installation "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\config\users\"YOUR USERID" policy.xml and look at the "isAdministrator" value.

But there does appear to be a policy issue for this user.

2019-08-03 18:36:22.556 Error UserManager: Error reading policy file: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\config\users\d134a9d24d894e5998ab5e383f2117ca\policy.xml
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.2.0.40
	Command line: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Runtime: file:///C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.InvalidOperationException: System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (0, 0). ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
	   at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
	   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderUserPolicy.Read7_UserPolicy()
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Serialization.MyXmlSerializer.DeserializeFromStream(Type type, Stream stream)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Serialization.MyXmlSerializer.DeserializeFromFile(Type type, String file)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.UserManager.GetUserPolicy(User user)
	Source: System.Private.Xml
	TargetSite: System.Object Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader, System.String, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents)
	InnerException: System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
	Source: System.Private.Xml
	TargetSite: Void Throw(System.Exception)
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
	   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
	   at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
	   at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderUserPolicy.Read7_UserPolicy()

lonnieb554

OK

First of all Thanks for your help. 

You were correct the administrator value had been changed to false for that userid.  I evidently was looking at the incorrect userid (sorry).  I selected the userid that had the oldest creation date, since that was the first user I created and since I created no other administrators.  Somehow there is a userid that has an older creation date than the first one and it is an administrator as well -will have to identify that one. The original userid had the administrator value reset after the update.  I manually edited the file and restarted Emby server.  All appears to be WELL now.

AGAIN many THANKS!!!!!

Happy2Play

OK

First of all Thanks for your help. 

You were correct the administrator value had been changed to false for that userid.  I evidently was looking at the incorrect userid (sorry).  I selected the userid that had the oldest creation date, since that was the first user I created and since I created no other administrators.  Somehow there is a userid that has an older creation date than the first one and it is an administrator as well -will have to identify that one. The original userid had the administrator value reset after the update.  I manually edited the file and restarted Emby server.  All appears to be WELL now.

AGAIN many THANKS!!!!!

If you go to Dashboard-Users on the server and select each user you can see their userid.  

It looks like you had a corrupted user policy file and that caused all policy options for that user to revert to default. You may want to run a disk check to scan the hard drive for possible errors.