#1 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • Local time: 12:02 PM

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:06 PM

@ebr @speechles

Just starting up the music videos for the nights activity...  Figured i'd try to shuffle one of my special folders.

Did you really just kind of sneak this in? 

Works PERFECT!

My biggest request has been finished...

THANK YOU!!!!

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138211 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
  • skidmarks likes this

#3 skidmarks OFFLINE  

skidmarks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 01:24 AM

This is awesome!  Just spent 4 1/2 hours in one folder shuffled...  I've got my MTV!!!

Everyone at the casa enjoyed the crap out of emby tonight...

#4 EZEd OFFLINE  

EZEd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Local time: 11:02 AM

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:42 PM

Just wondering if this also works with music and photos simultaneously? Some time ago I asked about the feature but had not heard any announcement about changes or enhancements.  The ideal would be, ability to actuate impromptu photo slideshows based on folder and music organization structure.  Example would be to choose Smooth Jazz genre in music and all photos from say 2019.  Have both play on shuffle simultaneously so that all photos for 2019 are shown in random order while Smooth Jazz music is played in random order behind it.  Ultimate goal would be to have the ability to mix and match all of both (music and pictures) in any combination and random order.

WMC7 was able to do this and I used it a lot to review our pictures while having dinner and when guest came over.  It was always a WOW moment for folks to see that and enjoy.  We were able to do so in WMC7 by picking either "all music" or a specific genre/playlist in music, hitting play and then going to photos menu, choosing a folder or "all photos" and pressing slideshow.  The effect was random playing of music (for that genre/playlist) while simultaneously random playing photos contained in a folder (mine happen to be organized by year/month, with date taken in the filename).  WMC7 could also do the same with music visualizations.  Does Emby have visualizations yet?  If not, can I suggest integrating Soundstream visualizations like G-Force?  They were great.

​This is the last and final piece for me to call Emby "The Champ".  It would finally have completely supplanted WMC7 as the ultimate HTPC, home media server, media player front end ecosystem.

It's possible that it already does this and I either missed the announcement or just haven't tried to reproduce lately since it previously could not.  I'll try when I get home this evening hoping that it will.  If not, I'll continue to patiently wait.  Hopefully it comes soon.  You guys (the developers) are doing a wonderful job. I just can't call you the greatest yet. I sure do want to.

​Thx

EZEd

#5 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138211 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 01:45 PM

Just wondering if this also works with music and photos simultaneously?

Its' something that needs to be improved. 

#6 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47015 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:08 PM

Hi.  You can do this now (mostly).

Simply start playing whatever music you wish - a playlist, an album, shuffle an artist, instant mix, whatever.

Then back out of the music player, navigate to any photo library/folder and hit the "play" button on your Roku remote.

You now have a photo slide show with music playing.

The only thing that is different from what you describe is the fact that the photos will not shuffle and we will be giving you a way to do that in the future.

Thanks.

• skidmarks likes this

#7 EZEd OFFLINE  

EZEd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 02:36 PM

Hi. You can do this now (mostly).

Simply start playing whatever music you wish - a playlist, an album, shuffle an artist, instant mix, whatever.

Then back out of the music player, navigate to any photo library/folder and hit the "play" button on your Roku remote.

You now have a photo slide show with music playing.

The only thing that is different from what you describe is the fact that the photos will not shuffle and we will be giving you a way to do that in the future.

Thanks.

Okay great. Thanks ebr for info. I'll give it a shot when I get home. You guys are great.

EZEd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

#8 EZEd OFFLINE  

EZEd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

Just to provide feedback on this. I tried doing simultaneous music and photos last night with Emby. It worked mostly like how @ebr described on Roku. I was able to start a music playlist then go a photo folder and start the pictures playing. It only worked for one folder at a time (so no nested folders like I have - where there is a top level year folder then 12 nested month folders underneath). I couldn't display all pictures for the year (e.g 2019). I could only do one month's pictures. They also would not random play as @ebr indicated.

The Samsung TV app doesnt do any of it. It will not play music and photos simultaneously in any combination.

I'm running a Plex server as well. It had no problem doing this task on either/both Roku or Samsung. And just a reminder that what Im trying to recreate is from WMC7. So in that regard, I still can't call you guys "The Champs" yet, but I am pulling for you and hoping for the win.

Also in the previous post, I asked about institution of using visualizations in music. Is that part of the future plan for music playback in Emby or is that something that has pretty much been ruled out?

Let us know.

Thx

#9 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47015 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:12 PM

I couldn't display all pictures for the year (e.g 2019). I could only do one month's pictures.

What happened when you tried that?

#10 EZEd OFFLINE  

EZEd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

I can't actually fully recollect, but seems like what it did on the Roku was to merely stop the music from playing. So what I did to get it to work was to start music playing (as a playlist), then go to a pictures sub-folder (in this case, a month), open the first picture to view by pressing the "okay" (center direction) button and then it would play both music and pictures.  If I pressed the "play" button by going to the pictures folder, it interpreted the button press as a pause for the music simultaneous to a play for the pictures.  At the higher folder level (in this case, year) there are no pictures (only monthly sub-folders), the "play" button press was interpreted as a pause for the music but there were no pictures to play so everything stopped.  The behavior was similar to what happens with the Samsung TV app.

In the Samsung case it's definitely an "either/or" proposition.  You can do one or the other but not both.  In the Roku case, I can do both simultaneously but with the caveat of only one unique pictures folder and then only the sorted order of the pictures (looks like A-Z) or in my case date ordered by file name only because all of my picture files have the date taken as the first characters of the filename (e.g. 20190827xxxx).  Pictures with this file name would be stored in location <drive>:\Photos\2019\08\<filename>.  The music plays in random/shuffle order, the pictures do not.

I'll have to check to see what it does on both the web app and Emby Theater.  I didn't try either of those last night.  Will do so tonight and report back.

Thx again

EZEd

#11 EZEd OFFLINE  

EZEd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 08:50 PM

I just checked the functionality in both Web App and Emby Theater.  If I start a music playlist, then go to photos and open a folder with pictures, no matter whether I press play on the folder or try and open an individual picture the picture opens but the music immediately stops.  This behavior is for both use cases.  It is the same behavior as the Samsung TV app. When I close the picture, the music resumes but it advances to the next song in the playlist.  It does not pick up and resume with the song that was playing when the picture opened or played.  So all three of these sources behave the same.

Roku is the only one that allows at least partial functionality as described previously, Roku will play the music playlist and the picture files in a single folder only and only in file list order (A-Z), no randomization.

That's the situation according to my sources and library configuration.  If there is a better way to do it so that it works please pass along any suggestions.

Thx

EZEd

#12 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5480 posts
  • Local time: 09:02 AM

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

I can't actually fully recollect, but seems like what it did on the Roku was to merely stop the music from playing. So what I did to get it to work was to start music playing (as a playlist), then go to a pictures sub-folder (in this case, a month), open the first picture to view by pressing the "okay" (center direction) button and then it would play both music and pictures.  If I pressed the "play" button by going to the pictures folder, it interpreted the button press as a pause for the music simultaneous to a play for the pictures.  At the higher folder level (in this case, year) there are no pictures (only monthly sub-folders), the "play" button press was interpreted as a pause for the music but there were no pictures to play so everything stopped.  The behavior was similar to what happens with the Samsung TV app.

In the Samsung case it's definitely an "either/or" proposition.  You can do one or the other but not both.  In the Roku case, I can do both simultaneously but with the caveat of only one unique pictures folder and then only the sorted order of the pictures (looks like A-Z) or in my case date ordered by file name only because all of my picture files have the date taken as the first characters of the filename (e.g. 20190827xxxx).  Pictures with this file name would be stored in location <drive>:\Photos\2019\08\<filename>.  The music plays in random/shuffle order, the pictures do not.

I'll have to check to see what it does on both the web app and Emby Theater.  I didn't try either of those last night.  Will do so tonight and report back.

Thx again

EZEd

You want the pictures to play randomly in the folder? That was just an oversight on pictures behalf. We mostly tested video and audio against this. Pictures should be random I agree. We can fix this on the Roku side. So that your music and pictures both can play in random order which is what is expected. Let me see what I can do to make this happen sooner than later. ^_~

Edited by speechles, 27 August 2019 - 10:04 PM.

#13 EZEd OFFLINE  

EZEd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:21 AM

Thanks @speechless for the effort. I know you guys have a million things to do on just keeping up with basic functionality. These type efforts go above and beyond but they really do help the user community stay happy. Right now because of this behavior I have to use that competing product to accomplish this task. I want so much for Emby to be the one app that rules them all and takes over from WMC as what it used to do so well. I know there are only so many hours in a day and we the community are just glad you guys are around to spend yours doing these type things to placate us.

Thx again
EZEd

• skidmarks likes this

#14 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47015 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

@speechles - I got this because it ties into other things.  Thanks.

#15 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 47015 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:44 AM

Roku is the only one that allows at least partial functionality as described previously,

Just FYI Android TV has this feature as well.

#16 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5480 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:49 AM

@speechles - I got this because it ties into other things.  Thanks.

Gotcha. Did you see my other question? I am guess the answer to that is C?

#17 EZEd OFFLINE  

EZEd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:04 PM

Just FYI Android TV has this feature as well.

Okay - yeah I don't have any Android devices to check except my phone and who really wants to watch media content on a phone ?!?!?! (hahahaha just kidding).  I probably should get at least one of the other devices (Android, Apple & Fire) to spread the wealth around but had already gotten burned with the Xbox ecosystem earlier and didn't recoup my cost so I had already invested in Roku and decided to continue in that direction. I guess in some ways Samsung Tyzen is sorta like Android but it must be just different enough it can't be handled the same.  Don't you just wish the different manufacturers could just cooperate and standardize?  Ha - fat chance of that.

Thx again

EZEd

#18 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5480 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:27 PM

Don't you just wish the different manufacturers could just cooperate and standardize?  Ha - fat chance of that.

It allows a monopoly that way. Whoever holds the patent holds the future. So to avoid patent trolling, or other such malfeasance they must shop around their ecosystem to keep their price points low and attractive. They might go big and spend large on the panel, the eletronics, and go cheap on the software side. It is a balancing act meant to keep the prices in check as importing affects price point as well. You are in a race with yourself. Mario kart ghost race.

Roku actually allows a second audio stream to play along with the first. So we could actually play music, and let watch random photo slideshows, and have it read an audio book on top of that on Roku. Roku has two independent voice/sound channels and we really only ever use one.. presently.  ;)

This could in theory allow what people want and give the gapless playback too... or even (crossfading) change songs and the song goes quieter as the next song grows louder as the fist song stops playing. It just has to be tried and attempted to see if that is possible. Everything I see so far says it must be.

Edited by speechles, 28 August 2019 - 12:31 PM.

#19 SeanS ONLINE  

SeanS

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 PM

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:03 AM

I am running V1.0.64 on a Tizen TV UA43KU7000. Not sure if this is the correct version ?

Am having trouble with music folder in that when I try play something it brings up GET EMBY premiere or if I try shuffle then it will only shuffle 1 album

#20 SeanS ONLINE  

SeanS

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 PM

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:04 AM

Sorry should have said have just started with EMBY and was on PLEX which I was having major connection problems with

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users