Trouble playing 4k on Synology 718+

ClutchFan

The plot thickens: I'd tried other software to play 4k videos before and had similar results, but today I randomly tried Synology's DS Video app, and to my surprise, it played all videos without a problem. It loaded for 10 - 15 seconds and then played smoothly. Not sure if it was true 4k or 1080p that my TV upscaled to 4k. But in any case, the videos played..

Is that a Roku app?

ClutchFan

@@Luke no, DS Video is a Synology app for Roku, that actually has been discontinued in favor of Roku's "Roku Media Player". I still had it installed though

@@FrostByte & @@Luke, I wasn't able to bring up any on-screen display while using either the Synology app or Roku's app. But I tested Roku's app tonight, and it played perfectly as well. This leads me to believe that neither of these apps is doing any transcoding. So that leaves me to wonder why Emby is transcoding? Why does Emby seem to think that my TV requires transcoding, when that does not appear to be the case?

Obviously I can just use Roku Media Player for home videos and Emby for movies going forward, but I would much rather just use one app for all media payback..