Auto Quality not adjusting for Slower Networks -Just Spins

tekfranz
Go to solution Solved by tekfranz,

tekfranz

Hello we really like EMBY Server. We recently switch to a very inexpensive Sprint plan so our streaming bandwidth is probably lower.

When we leave our home WiFi network, Emby will spin and stutter trying to play a higher bandwidth until we manually lower the bandwidth to a lower setting.

How does the Auto Quality feature work? It doesn't seem to be doing anything to resolve the stuttering unless for example we kill and restart the App and restart the stream several times.

Our solution is to manually limit the network to 720-1 Mbps. (BTW what's the visual difference between 720-1Mbps and say 720-3Mbps?)

Is there any sort of of "Automatic Quality switching while in Stream Based on Network conditions" planned since it seems to be very limited right now adjusting the stream once per app session or less.

Edited by tekfranz

Hi there, did you start playing on your home network and then transition? Or was it off network the whole time?

tekfranz

Yes I also wondered about switching from the WiFi internal network to the Cellular Network while streaming.

However, I do not believe the issue is only the network switch.

I can reproduce the issue on Cellular Only as well if I restart the App with WiFi turned off and Cellular On and set Playback --> Internet to Auto. It plays about about 1-2 seconds in 1080p and stops and keeps starting and stopping.  The starting and stopping never resolves. It plays 1-2 Seconds and then stops. I would have expected it to drop quality until EBMY found a quality setting that worked. (In my case 720p-1Mbps).

Edited by tekfranz

• 1 month later...
  • Solution
tekfranz

Since the last update Auto Playback Mode on Cellular is much improved.

I am now seeing the playback progress forward rather than freeze and spin.

Thanks for your hard work on this!

Edited by tekfranz
  • Like 1