4.2.0.40 do not delete Files

Jogi1986

Jogi1986

Today I have made the update to the version 4.2.0.40 under MacOS.

Since then Emby does not delete any more movies if I want to delete them. Instead, Emby shifts her into the trash.
This was not the case with the old versions and I thought that was just fine. Is there somewhere to put it a way that Emby deletes the movies directly?
  • Like 1

Options are always possible for the future, but we think this is the best default behavior. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
K22R8CT

Today I have made the update to the version 4.2.0.40 under MacOS.

Since then Emby does not delete any more movies if I want to delete them. Instead, Emby shifts her into the trash.
This was not the case with the old versions and I thought that was just fine. Is there somewhere to put it a way that Emby deletes the movies directly?

For me (with my media on a network drive) delete in the latest version only removes the file from emby's library, it remains on disk I assume because remote files don't go into Trash. I figured this was a bug that'd be fixed. If it's intended that's inconvenient – Emby's interface was great for pruning my collection.

Edited by Anon28109

If it can't be sent to the recycle bin then it will use the same delete function as before.

K22R8CT

If it can't be sent to the recycle bin then it will use the same delete function as before.

Hmm. Delete entry in Emby's log but nothing on the NAS, no permission errors either. 

Info HttpServer: HTTP DELETE http://mini:8096/emby/Items/20314. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/12.1.2 Safari/605.1.15

Deleting manually on the Mac where Emby runs works fine.

Jogi1986

I will deleting Home Videos on my Apple TV. When I go on the Apple TV to the delete Button, it do nothing.

When I go, by normal Videos on the Delete Button on Apple TV, the Video ist deleting from the Library 

K22R8CT

A movie, with the "Delete" button on the movie's item page, e.g.  

http://mini:8096/web/index.html#!/item/item.html?id=...
Edited by Anon28109

K22R8CT

Here's a fuller excerpt of the log file if it's helpful:

2019-08-13 14:43:37.419 Info App: Removing item from database, Type: Movie, Name: My Movie, Path: /Volumes/Download/Movies/My Movie (2018)/My Movie (2018).mkv, Id: 12345
2019-08-13 14:43:37.419 Info App: Deleting path /Users/default/.config/emby-server/metadata/library/dc/dc8c99d5981f9e57fab653992678e1b
2019-08-13 14:43:37.445 Info App: Deleting path /Volumes/Download/Movies/My Movie (2018)

K22R8CT

Some more info:

I have Emby convert mkv's to mp4s (replacing the original file.) That process successfully deletes the mkv when complete (although it's a file not a directory as in the failing case.) 

This works:

2019-08-14 08:47:34.979 Info App: Emby Media Converter copying file from /Users/default/.config/emby-server/sync/18/418/0b714512-1d75-4cee-9b23-315ae2b024.mp4 to /Volumes/Download/Movies/My Movie (2018).mp4
2019-08-14 08:54:52.238 Info App: Emby Media Converter deleting /Volumes/Download/Movies/My Movie (2018)/My Movie (2018).mkv

K22R8CT

Not sure. Is there a feature in the interface that lets me test that with video files?

(Subtitle deletion has always been a buggy on my system which I chalked up to a sync issue with .config cache)

Not sure. Is there a feature in the interface that lets me test that with video files?

You could setup a movie folder with just one video inside. Then the movie owns the whole folder, and the delete function will delete the folder.

K22R8CT

You could setup a movie folder with just one video inside. Then the movie owns the whole folder, and the delete function will delete the folder.

Tested on a movie directory with 3 files:

1. MP4 (movie)
  2. NFO
  3. VTT (subtitle)

– I deleted NFO and VTT, leaving only MP4

– I did NOT rescan (because I assumed Emby would recreate the NFO)

– Clicked DELETE on the item's detail page

– Movie removed from Emby's catalogue

– Folder and MP4 untouched

• 4 months later...

Has the trash vs delete been sorted out yet?  I had an issue where my live TV recording started failing since the disk was full.  I had deleted a bunch of recordings through the emby GUI but they all were still showing in the trash can taking up space.

Has the trash vs delete been sorted out yet?  I had an issue where my live TV recording started failing since the disk was full.  I had deleted a bunch of recordings through the emby GUI but they all were still showing in the trash can taking up space.

Hi, it's not an issue, we started moving them to the trash can so that you could recover them if needed. does that answer your question?

I have a different scenario that I don't think you have addressed.  It caused me to miss a bunch of DVR recordings when I was on vacation.

1. Disk full so delete recordings through emby GUI
  2. Recordings move to trash can
  3. Disk is still "full" so any new recordings fail

• 3 weeks later...

I copied a file from my Camera's MicroSD card onto my computer and I now have an updated file I want to replace it with. My issue is I can not delete/move/rename the old file it tells me that I need administrator permission. I am logged in as the administrator but can not modify the file even though I'm the one that put it there. This has happened before and I just use a new filename but these files I can't delete are starting to add up on my limited disk space.I can open it in Windows Explorer and use Shift+Delete and the file will disappear but as soon as I refresh the folder the file shows back up.

Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1

Edited by Arsoty

I copied a file from my Camera's MicroSD card onto my computer and I now have an updated file I want to replace it with. My issue is I can not delete/move/rename the old file it tells me that I need administrator permission. I am logged in as the administrator but can not modify the file even though I'm the one that put it there. This has happened before and I just use a new filename but these files I can't delete are starting to add up on my limited disk space.I can open it in Windows Explorer and use Shift+Delete and the file will disappear but as soon as I refresh the folder the file shows back up.

Hi, this is not an emby specific question, correct?