Shield Experience 8.0 (Android 9 PIE)

CBers

vdatanet

I tested my Back to the Future BlueRay rip which is encoded in VC-1, and no video at all.  The audio plays, but only a black screen.  It is Direct Playing.  So, yes, this Nvidia update, killed the Emby VC-1 playback.

Edit: played my BlueRay rip of the "Dirty Dozen", encoded with VC-1 and same thing, audio and black screen.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76020-last-nvidia-shield-update-has-broken-vc1-direct-play-playback/

BillOatman

I've updated 4 thus far with no issues.. Hopefully that stays the same.

Going to update my other two in a bit, no issues all last night while I was dealing with insomnia!

Did you guys try taking a screenshot?

Coxeroni

Playback stop is fixed.

It really is fixed, happy happy here :D

Glad I neither have cropped HDR nor VC1 files...

Guest asrequested

Well, my shield is pretty much useless, now. I can't play anything without it pausing every few seconds. What a piece of shite. It was mediocre before, and now it's just plain junk! Great work Nvidia! You guys are really 'special'. 

Turns out it''s only when HDR is being used. If I play a 4K SDR movie (or anything else), no pausing (at least during the short tests that I did). But every time HDR is activated, it pauses every few seconds. Bizarre! 

Edited by Doofus

vdatanet

Well, my shield is pretty much useless, now. I can't play anything without it pausing every few seconds. What a piece of shite. It was mediocre before, and now it's just plain junk! Great work Nvidia! You guys are really 'special'. 

Turns out it''s only when HDR is being used. If I play a 4K SDR movie (or anything else), no pausing (at least during the short tests that I did). But every time HDR is activated, it pauses every few seconds. Bizarre! 

I've tested some of my 4K HDR movies (remux) and there are no problems watching them. HDR is enabled and there's no pause. The only problems for me are:

- well known issue with cropped hdr movies

- VC1 playback

CBers

Yes, very bizarre.

Like @@vdatanet says, I don't have any issues with HDR playback on my Shield -  I don't have any cropped or VC-1 content.

Have you tried a factory reset @ ?

Spaceboy

No issues at all here. To be honest the update seems to be a complete non event to me. Some of the transitions between home screen and apps seems smoother but I couldn’t tell you of any significant changes as far as I can see.

BillOatman

I'll try a factory reset. If that doesn't work, I'll try explosives.

There is not a single problem that cannot be solved with the correct application of high explosives.

• Like 1

vdatanet

There is not a single problem that cannot be solved with the correct application of high explosives.

If the explosive is powerful enough, surely the problem is solved!

• Like 1

ToyContinuum

I scanned through the comments and do not see this issue:

Anyone else not able to select letters and have movies display that start with that letter now? I have tried on all of my shields and all are the latest version of Emby and Android TV.

vdatanet

I scanned through the comments and do not see this issue:

Anyone else not able to select letters and have movies display that start with that letter now? I have tried on all of my shields and all are the latest version of Emby and Android TV.

When I get home I'll take a look.

CBers

Seems to be working here.

Probably best to start a new thread.

jachin99

I don't critique mine too much and it's still new to me but my update went pretty well. I'm still on 1080p though.

vdatanet

After a factory reset.... HDR stuff still pausing. Bring on the TNT!

Wifi or Lan? Some users have reported slower wifi performance after update.

Guest asrequested

Wifi or Lan? Some users have reported slower wifi performance after update.

Wifi, but the bandwidth difference between 4K SDR and 4K HDR is negligible. But I was intending to hardwired it tomorrow and test it.