Cant change audio channel

ramoreno
Go to solution Solved by taxi2k,

ramoreno

hi guys..

can someone explain me how to change the channel of my movie.. it have 2 channels cause i used Rosadin TV to play the same movie and it can change it.. but i my roku tv i cant =[

post-486939-0-40357800-1564531452_thumb.png

The image from the Roku isn't showing runtime. It looks like it isn't actually scanned in completely. That might be why. The runtime length of the item is showing as -:-- which is the placeholder when the runtime isn't known. Something is odd about that title. Did you scan your library after adding that title? You may need to.

I would also assume the title is transcoding since runtime isn't known. This would also throw wrenches into things if this could direct play. 

The Roku is running in "LiveTV mode" it looks like. Where you cannot rewind or fast foward either. This is known as real-time mode on RokuTV and happens when you feed the TS into the IPTV field. Try using the m3u8 instead if that IPTV provider offers it. When using m3u8 it should provide a new container (with a known runtime) and now you should be able to move around with the transport bar and now change audio channels.

Are these IPTV streams or LiveTV or something? Or are these recordings/rips/downloads? I am feeling IPTV, all signs and indications tell me this is IPTV.

Edited by speechles

ramoreno

The image from the Roku isn't showing runtime. It looks like it isn't actually scanned in completely. That might be why. The runtime length of the item is showing as -:-- which is the placeholder when the runtime isn't known. Something is odd about that title. Did you scan your library after adding that title? You may need to.

I would also assume the title is transcoding since runtime isn't known. This would also throw wrenches into things if this could direct play. 

The Roku is running in "LiveTV mode" it looks like. Where you cannot rewind or fast foward either. This is known as real-time mode on RokuTV and happens when you feed the TS into the IPTV field. Try using the m3u8 instead if that IPTV provider offers it. When using m3u8 it should provide a new container (with a known runtime) and now you should be able to move around with the transport bar and now change audio channels.

Are these IPTV streams or LiveTV or something? Or are these recordings/rips/downloads? I am feeling IPTV, all signs and indications tell me this is IPTV.

Yes it is IPTV but look.. i can change it on web app..

5d41f0e88134e_Screenshot_148.png

taxi2k

Hi all,

After ugrading the server to 4.2.0.40 (Raspi) switching audio channels has no effect when playing a movie  in the Roku app (only tested mp4)

I rarely need to switch audio channels for language so I'm not sure when the problem first surfaced.

It appears to output the default audio regardless of which audio channel is selected and displayed.

Problem occurs in both the Emby For Roku and Beta version.

"Play default audio track regardless of language" is NOT checked in user preferences [Playback-->Audio Settings]

The problem does not occur when playing in the webbrowser. 

Thanks for any assistance!

Edited by taxi2k

If this is changing audio with LiveTV I am going to dig into this today. I do not think the multiple tracks and being added. Not sure yet. But will be sure later today as I will figure this out. Stay tuned. :^)

EDIT: okay I see the problem with LiveTV is the transcoding and we aren't passing audio/subtitle let me see what I can do there... lol. If I allow TS to become direct playable I can change audio/subtitle but then I can't seek on the transport bar. So they are in the transport stream and Emby is serving them in the HLS m3u8. But the Roku needs to be told differently how to use these or smth. I can figure this out.

Edited by speechles

If this is changing audio with LiveTV 

Based on his description I don't think it is as he said he could see the audio tracks but changing them simply didn't work.

Hi all,

After ugrading the server to 4.2.0.40 (Raspi) switching audio channels has no effect when playing a movie  in the Roku app (only tested mp4)

I rarely need to switch audio channels for language so I'm not sure when the problem first surfaced.

It appears to output the default audio regardless of which audio channel is selected and displayed.

Problem occurs in both the Emby For Roku and Beta version.

"Play default audio track regardless of language" is NOT checked in user preferences [Playback-->Audio Settings]

The problem does not occur when playing in the webbrowser. 

Thanks for any assistance!

Can you please reproduce this problem and then follow the steps to send a log from the app?

Thanks.

Based on his description I don't think it is as he said he could see the audio tracks but changing them simply didn't work.

There may be some older models that do not support secondary audio besides just Roku 2 and Roku 3. My Roku 2 XD for example won't support and I don't think we catch that fact. I think we just catch it for Roku 2 and 3 models. We might need to add other models to tell the server they don't support secondary audio as well. I betcha that is the issue.

@@ramoreno what model number is your Roku device?

I have:

Roku Express 3900, Roku 2XD 3050, Roku 3 4200, Roku Ultra 4640, Roku Ultra 4660, Roku TV 7130

... and today I am getting the Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 ...

I am guessing your model I do not have. I might need to get it. Which model do you have?

taxi2k

Can you please reproduce this problem and then follow the steps to send a log from the app?

Thanks.

@@ebr Yes, that is correct. Changing audio tracks has no effect, the default track is always played.

As instructed I have sent the log after reproducing the problem several times within the app.

I changed the default audio channel before playing 2 films in succession including switching the audio channel during playback.

[APOLLO 13.m4v] & [Alexander (2004).mp4]

Result: The default audio channel is played regardless of which audio channel is selected and displayed.

Logged in user: Me

Time of test: 7:11 AM - 7:13 AM

Time of test: 7:11 AM - 7:13 AM

Hi.  How does that translate to EDT?

Thanks.

@@ebr What model number is the problem Roku in the logs? It is probably the "secondary audio support" that model of Roku doesn't support and we aren't catching. If it directstreamed or transcoded to get the second audio stream it would work but the capabilities presently only has logic for roku2/3 to drop secondary audio support. We may need other model numbers to drop secondary audio support for and let transcoding do the job.

Edited by speechles

You can choose "Playback Correction" from the playback settings menu on the Video Player OSD. It does NOT need to be a full video transcode. You just want to make it direct stream and not direct play. Once it does direct stream now change audio track and it WILL stick. Ffmpeg is involved when direct streaming or transcoding. The Playback Correction logic remembers you choice and will not try to direct play when the Playback Correction causes direct streaming. Only moving to a new(prev/next) video item will reset the Playback Correction. You can use Playback Correction in conjunction with bitrate/quality/resolution changes this way and keep the playback correction intact. You might try using Playback Correction to deal with this until we have more time to investigate.

Edited by speechles

taxi2k

You can use Playback Correction in conjunction with bitrate/quality/resolution changes this way and keep the playback correction intact. You might try using Playback Correction to deal with this until we have more time to investigate.

@@speechles Yup, that mostly works, thanks for the workaround! :-) 

However, after selecting playback correction I notice it takes significantly longer wait time before the video starts to play and some videos needed several tries and restarts as well as adjusting the bit rate to prevent buffering. The whole procedure has to be repeated with each subsequent video played which gets tedious.

fyi - My Roku stick is the 3600X. Does the problem only affect older models??    

Edited by taxi2k

fyi - My Roku stick is the 3600X. Does the problem only affect older models??    

Yes. These older models are not capable of supporting "secondary audio streams" and our capabilities has detection for a few model numbers we know that do not support this. I can add your model 3600 to the detection routine to not allow secondary audio streams. This should solve your issue and you will not need to use playback correction after we apply this fix. Thank you for helping make Emby better. :)

Reference: Fix #559: [Capabilities] Secondary audio stream fix (36xx models)

Edited by speechles

taxi2k

Yes. These older models are not capable of supporting "secondary audio streams" and our capabilities has detection for a few model numbers we know that do not support this. I can add your model 3600 to the detection routine to not allow secondary audio streams. This should solve your issue and you will not need to use playback correction after we apply this fix. Thank you for helping make Emby better. :)

Reference: Fix #559: [Capabilities] Secondary audio stream fix (36xx models)

Ahhh, that clears up that mystery. Thanks for all the help!

Guess it may be time to upgrade :rolleyes:

I've seen a few other glitches also with an oldisch FireTV streaming stick and will post those soon.

We are thrilled with Emby! It has been our exclusive media server with rock solid stability for several years.

We take it everywhere using a small-profile portable version (RaspberryPi + SSD) which serves up emby over it's own private WLAN/LAN network. 

Indispensable on cruises and where there is no internet!

We call it EmbyPi.

5d4844b37b9f8_EmbyPi.jpg

I think this was related to our missing lack of secondary audio support on early/legacy Roku models. We may have more work here with differing model numbers as finding some of these venerable older units is a challenge. So we have to rely on users for some part of this to give us clues what model number they have and if we can test that model ourselves. In absense of being able to find this model to purchase we have to "go with our gut". I am trying to find and get us every Roku model that exhibits issues. Emby will not be beaten by these issues. If we have to we will find a way to get that device(price is irrelevant!) and test directly on it ourselves so our users do not have to be our free beta testers. We want to bug/stress test as much as possible ourselves before releases ever hit the Beta. Hopefully in the future people notice this dedication to our goal. :)

Edited by speechles

• 5 months later...
  • Solution

@@Luke @@speechles

Thank you both for the assistance!

The problem I reported back in August was resolved at some point.

I can confirm changing audio tracks in Emby for Roku now functions correctly.

Currently running 4.3.1.0 on Raspi

ROKU Model 3600X 

• Like 1