Transcoded film plays for 20 seconds and then quits

lills

Hi,

I am having an issue with transcoded mkv (with mp3,ac3 or aac audio) streamed via dlna. I get perfect audio and video for about 5 seconds. It then plays from the beginning again for 20 seconds with perfect audio and video. It does this exactly the same for any MKV, even low bitrate ones (480p).

I was monitoring what was going on inside the transcoding-temp folder, and I can see the transcoded ts stream appear in there and build up inside. Then all of a sudden it is deleted and this seems to be the reason for the video quitting.

embyserver.txt is showing this:

2019-07-30 17:57:28.221 Info App: Transcoding kill timer stopped for JobId 736d51d7-1857-47c2-83e0-c7f5916ae3d8 PlaySessionId null. Killing transcoding
2019-07-30 17:57:28.231 Debug App: KillTranscodingJob - JobId 736d51d7-1857-47c2-83e0-c7f5916ae3d8 PlaySessionId null. Killing transcoding
2019-07-30 17:57:28.288 Info App: ProcessRun 'StreamTranscode 736d51': Stopping ffmpeg process with q command for /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/transcoding-temp/9dba1f98704849994e34dc0cb2ccf903.ts
2019-07-30 17:57:28.503 Info App: ProcessRun 'StreamTranscode 736d51' Process exited with code 0
2019-07-30 17:57:28.505 Debug App: Disposing stream resources
2019-07-30 17:57:28.505 Info App: FFMpeg exited with code 0
2019-07-30 17:57:28.511 Debug App: ProcessRun 'StreamTranscode 736d51': WaitForExitAsync took 187ms
2019-07-30 17:57:28.516 Info App: Deleting partial stream file(s) /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/transcoding-temp/9dba1f98704849994e34dc0cb2ccf903.ts

Note the following in there:

HttpServer: SocketException
Transcoding kill timer stopped for JobId
KillTranscodingJob 

Any ideas what's causing this? Thanks

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of digging into this and still cannot find a solution. I did find out however that for UMS (which works without issue) the temporary transcoded file is sent to the dlna device directly from memory instead of storing the stream in a temp folder first and then sending it.

Is this a feature Emby could be configured to do?

I've pushed an update to the Dlna plugin. Once you have the update please restart the server and try again. See if this resolves the issue. Thanks.

Hi Luke,

That update has defo made a difference. MKVs now transcode and play, thanks very much for looking into this for me.

Not to sound too cheeky, there is just one more problem I have noticed now. If I start a film and stop it after a couple of minutes, I can see the transcoded ts file building up in the transcoding-temp and it keeps on transcoding many minutes after stopping the film. Therefore the cpu is in the red and I cannot play any other videos without restarting the Emby Server.

Edited by lills

I've recreated the problem again so I could give you clean logs as I had tried a few things since I last posted and the server log got quite large. Here are the 2 latest logs.

Just to confirm. I stopped the film and then immediately switched off the dlna device and 10 mins later transcoding still happening. Thanks.

ffmpeg-transcode-908a6bb6-4903-4cac-9d53-a21f86baf6bb_1.txt

embyserver.txt

Did you actually press stop in the tv video player? Because the tv still had open connections to the video url all the way up until the very end of this log.

Hi,

I can confirm I definitely pressed stop from the TV remote first. Waited a minute or so and then powered off the device to try to close all connections.

I've just repeated that process today and transcoding still continues.

Some further info, Synology NAS DS218Play (Realtek) CPU is at around 90% cos I am using software decoding. Don't know if this is preventing closing the transcoding task? I would have thought 10 mins would have given it time to close it though.

Today's log attached.

embyserver.txt

• 10 months later...
redmi18

No that wouldn't prevent it from closing.

sir i m also having same problem (using https://github.com/MediaBrowser/SamsungSmartTV/releases/download/2.2.6a/Emby_2.2.6a_Europe_20200121.zip)when using iptv plugin to stream m3u8 it only plays 20seconds then stops, but when i played using older official version of 0.122 emby app it plays well.

can you help? want logs?

SamES

sir i m also having same problem (using https://github.com/MediaBrowser/SamsungSmartTV/releases/download/2.2.6a/Emby_2.2.6a_Europe_20200121.zip)when using iptv plugin to stream m3u8 it only plays 20seconds then stops, but when i played using older official version of 0.122 emby app it plays well.

can you help? want logs?

The old community app is not really supported any more and doesn't provide support for all features.  I'm not sure if IPTV streams worked correctly in the past in that app.  If the official app is supported on your model, then this is the recommended approach.  Before we explore further, is there anything that is preventing you from using it?

• 5 months later...
On 6/9/2020 at 4:09 PM, redmi18 said:

can you help? want logs?

Hi, yes please, can we look at an example? Thanks !

• 2 months later...