TV episodes not showing

Taffer
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Taffer

I recently updated Emby to 4.2.0.40 from a much older version and after tweaking a couple of settings everything was running sweet ... almost. I am currently having an issue with some TV shows not showing any episodes. When I go into my TV folder I can see all the shows I have available and on some there is a number on the top right corner telling me how many episodes are in that shows folder.

5d4041cd6c23e_scrn1.jpg

If I go into a show that has the number in the top corner I can either play an episode or scroll through available episodes and select one to play etc.. however if I go into a show that does not have the number in the top corner I have no option to play any episodes and none are listed just the actors and artwork etc

I decided to check the folder structure and names etc to see if there was any difference between the shows

I found that in the shows that I could watch there was a system file called "season" in each of the Season folders but in the shows that I could not watch this file was missing !

What is this file ?

Can I manually add it to the season folder or is it generated by Emby or MCM or something like that

Hi.  That number is the number of unwatched episodes in that series.  If you cannot see any content in the other ones, this is probably a file structure problem.

Is this setup as a mixed content library?  Do the problem shows have proper season folders?

Taffer

The folder is setup as TV Shows and there is no mixed content in the folder or even on the drive

I went through the file structure with a fine tooth comb to find any differences but they are both the same

N:\TV SHOWS\The big bang theory\Season 1\s01e01

N:\TV SHOWS\Babylon 5\Season 1\s01e01

The only thing that I could find different between the two shows is the System file called "season" in the Babylon 5 folder

or is it generated by Emby or MCM or something like that

Are you using both an external metadata manager (MCM) and Emby metadata management?  Choosing one or the other (I suggest just using ours) could help clear a lot of this up.

Taffer

I initially used MCM years ago but possibly when I update Emby something caused a glitch there

Is the season file inside the Season folderpart of Emby ?

I think i will remove the whole folder out and refresh / restart Emby then make a new folder and move just the media back in

That way any metadata should be just Emby generated

Ill let you know what happens

Taffer

Still no luck with this

I took the entire folder off the drive then refreshed the library then shut down and restarted emby, looked inside to make sure nothing was still showing

Shut down emby again and just incase I manually entered the N:\TV SHOWS\Babylon 5\Season 1\s01e01 etc then copied just the video_ts folder across for each episode, restarted emby and left it alone for an hour then refreshed the whole library, emby downloaded all the metadata and banners and posters etc

When I go into the folder to play I can see the posters and such as well as all the actors and movies like this but I still can not play anything

I have one option to PLAY ALL but that just says no compatible playback streams

If I go into the big bang theory I can play next or play all and I can scroll down to the Next Up or Seasons however these options do not appear in the Babylon 5 folder. Another thing I have noticed is that the shows that I can not watch have the played tick showing in red when I hover the mouse over them, if i change the tick to white then go into the folder the tick goes back to red again. When I go into the folder to try to play the tick is white even if the first layer tick is red

I tried select the folder and ticked the mark as unplayed option but none of these actions seem to stick

Getting more confused as time goes by

then copied just the video_ts folder across for each episode, 

Wait, that's new information... These are DVD folder rips?  Are the ones not working all folder rips and the ones that are working not?

That is an additional wrinkle that doesn't get much testing anymore.

Taffer

Both folders are exactly the same format, dvd rips using the same settings

They used to work in the earlier version without any problems but when I updated to the latest emby the problem started

Hi.  Can you please put it in "Details" view and be sure and show extensions and hidden files?

Thanks.

Taffer

I did large tile view that shows all the details as well as show hidden folders

5d44c03412b72_scrn5.jpg

Happy2Play

The images to me would suggest a metadata issue as on has metadata and the other does not.

Taffer

What do you mean no metadata in one ? I can see a metadata folder in both shows season folders

The main difference that I can see is all the system files that are in the big bang folder

Happy2Play

What do you mean no metadata in one ? I can see a metadata folder in both shows season folders

The main difference that I can see is all the system files that are in the big bang folder

Emby does not use the Series metadata folder, unless your are using the xml metadata plugin as I assume the metadata in that folder is from MCM correct?  As all of your TBBT has nfo metadata and Babylon 5 does not.

I guess technically Emby can uses the series metadata folder with a hidden switch in the system.xml set to Legacy instead of Compatible for images.

Edited by Happy2Play

For the affected series, can you try moving them out of your library, running a full scan to flush them out of the database, and then adding them back?

Taffer

So I moved everything out went into the library tab and selected Scan all libraries and waited for that to finish

I then restarted emby

Once running again I put just the folder /season/series/vob files and made sure there was no images or metadata o anything like that

I then did the same scan all libraries and once again waited but still no good

So while in the libraries tab clicked on the three dots in the tv folder and selected scan library and selected scan for new and updated files and waited again

This time when i went in to the babylon 5 folder it showed 8 unviewed but only had the season 0 series listed

I tried the scan library  again this time selecting missing metadata but still just the season 0 folder is working

I did notice that the season 0 folder now has the nfo files in it but the other seasons do not

5d45940197eab_scrn8.jpg

Edited by Taffer

Taffer

I think i might have found a solution

I went back to basics and renamed the folder Babylon 5 (1993)

Putting the date on the end has fixed that folder so im now going to try that with the other ones that are not working

Ill let you know tomorrow how it went