Photo

What endpoint to update a user's watched position?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142429 posts
  • Local time: 10:24 PM

Posted 07 December 2019 - 06:34 PM

Great, thanks for the feedback.

#22 LongMan OFFLINE  

LongMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Local time: 03:24 AM

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:56 PM

Attached File  KodiSetup-20191208-a062b4df-media_import_rebase_20191003-x64 (2).zip   59.11MB   0 downloadsAttached File  mediaimporter.emby.zip   94.63KB   0 downloads

Here are files from the latest build

#23 LongMan OFFLINE  

LongMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:13 AM

Settings>Addons>Install from Zip file. (It should prompt to enable Unknown sources, enable it and go back to install the zip file, mediaimporter.emby.zip.)

There are no settings for the addon itself so there is nothing to configure there.

• Settings>Media Sources>Media Providers>All Media Providers/Actice Media Providers (Either should work).  You should see your Emby Server here, sign in.
  • Go Back to Settings>Media Sources. Choose Media Imports>By Media Providers. You should see your Media types here.
  • Choose the type of media that you want to import. You call leave all to import all libraries of the media type, or select choose to select which libraries to import.

Importing should start as soon as you are finished.

Hopefully we can get a few testers

Thanks in advance,

LongMan

#24 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142429 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:16 AM

What are the pros and cons vs. just using Emby for Kodi ?

#25 LongMan OFFLINE  

LongMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:59 PM

The benefits and pitfalls are going to differ based on one's vantage point, but here are my thoughts.

• The biggest pro is that the addon will be the Official Kodi Repository.
    • Emby for Kodi writes directly to the database which is not sanctioned, and so it will never be allowed in the Kodi Repo.
    • Yes EmbyCon is there but that is a different approach.
  • Database changes will not adversely affect the addon because MediaImport would be a core function, and would have to considered and adapted whenever changes are made to the database.
    • As it is now, Emby for Kodi has a Decision tree to decide which database is present, and waits until beta before supporting a new version of Kodi. It's crazy to use alpha software, however, beacause of the way PR's to Kodi are handled, even released alpha versions, (not talking nightlys here) are fairly stable. And usually have some nice new features.
  • One is able to start watching as soon as an item has been synced, no need to wait for the sync to complete. Syncing is a background task.
    • It would be slower but one does not have to wait, which I consider a good compromise.
    • I will admit that Emby for Kodi has gotten much better since @Angelblue05 introduced syncing of individual libraries and resumption of incomplete syncs, two features that were not previously present in Emby for Kodi but were in MediaImport. To quote my Area Manager, "You should be looking to steal any good ideas that you come across". Good Jod Angelblue05
  • Another is that it is a new feature, a Greenfield. It will take center stage in Kodi when it is released and we all know that the one who is there first, or very early, is most likely to come out ahead. I suspect the Kodi user-base is larger than that of Emby.

There are other benefits to the user that are not necessarily a benefit to Emby.

• For example, the ability to have more than one MediaImport Source.
    • That would facilitate Family/Friends sharing more seamlessly.
    • It also allows an admin to have a live redundant server.
    • This also allows your Netflix, Prime etc content to exist with your Emby content.
    • Many more possibilities are there.

The biggest con, there will be competition from other servers because it will be easier to write a plugin. There is also a Plex plugin being tested.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for providing the API. I have been fiddling with Media Centers for a long while, since '06 or '07. I think this is a big leap forward.

Hopefully that helps.

Cheers,

LongMan

#26 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 142429 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:32 PM

@LongMan that's great info, thanks for taking the time to write that up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users