multple copies of recorded shows

wangbo

wangbo

I have recorded several shows/series as well as movies and have set the record feature to not record ones that i already have the ones that are already recorded are in .mkv format and the emby dvr for some reason doesn't recognize that i already have them and records a new copy in.ts format is there a setting somewhere that i'm missing that will correct this as to change all the originals over to .ts format would take months due to the quantity already recorded most were recorded back when emby would record and change to.mkv format as well as others i had converted .mkv (my preferred format) the results end up taking huge lot of wasted storage space and a lot of extra steps to correct. Also would be nice if a setting that allows to designate a desired recording format whether .mpg, .mp4. .ts, .mkv etc would be a nice addition to the dvr settings and might alleviate the aforementioned problem i'm having. Thanks in advance

Edited by wangbo

new copy in.ts format 

Hi there, recordings are saved in the format of the original source. The original source is mpegts so that is why you get .ts files. If you prefer mkv, we do have a feature that can help you convert them after recordings have completed:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-423-emby-server-34-released/

As far as the duplicates go, can you please go over an example? Thanks.

wangbo

ok i have a file named p allen smith - garden style   (s01e01) - Living spaces.mkv and when the show is rebroadcast at a later date  it is recorded as p allen smith - garden style S01E01 - Living spaces.ts  I had orginaly named the file and recordings according to the naming conventions outlined in the instructions posted on the setting up files wiki

What is the name of your existing series in emby server? it needs to exactly match the name of the series in the program guide data.

wangbo

it does with the exception of the file format and the S02e01 versus (s01e01) naming conventions everything else is the same

wangbo

the only thing i have noticed different is that between the series episode number and the show title the new recordings no longer have dash between them

There is no file format to compare in the program guide data. It's not about comparing the completed files, it's about comparing exist files to the programs in the guide data.

Can you please capture the server log the next time a new one is recorded like this? Thanks.

wangbo

will do - might be a couple of days though as the predominant one that it affects the most doesn't broadcast until Saturday

Are the existing episodes in mpg format tagged with season and episode numbers in the emby metadata editor?

wangbo

that is what is kind of weird as some of the tv shows i have that are not being recorded as they are not being broadcast anymore show up season and episode numbers but some that i have set to record that are being broadcast currently i have the original versions i have recorded with season episode numbers as demonstrated are not being recognized so cant see them in the editor so whatever is causing this i suspect maybe the culprit if you look at the screenshot all the original versions of the recordings in .mpg format don't show up in my emby but the new ones do. But on shows that the recordings are only available in the .mpg format do show up for the other shows that i have already recorded.

They probably got merged together after the recording, so if you go to the detail screen, i think you'll see a version selection box where you can pick between the two versions.

wangbo

most of them did but ones that are not in a .ts on some shows are not showing but ones that did have both do show up also still doesn't explain why its recording ones that are selected to not record ones already in my libraries

still doesn't explain why its recording ones that are selected to not record ones already in my libraries

Yes it does, because if they're not tagged with season and episode numbers in Emby Server, then the recording process will not know that you already have the episode in your library.

wangbo

all my files are tagged as to season /episode shown in the screenshot of the sample directory look closely and you can see that. The directory i screenshotted is one of numerous tv shows that i have recorded. and all are in the same format except for the recent ones that have been recorded as they don't have the parenthesis around the season episode number like my originals do. but still delineate the season episode number and are in their respective folders according to show and season. So again I say why is it recognizing most but not all to wit about 35% of my shows as being in my library.

all my files are tagged as to season /episode shown in the screenshot of the sample directory look closely and you can see that

What I'm asking though is how they are tagged in the emby metadata editor.

wangbo

When your referring to the tagging in the metadata editor are you talking actual tagging or are you referring to the file naming format? if file format then it is what you see in my previous illustrations,but if actual tagging then i don't have an anything tagged at all as per the entry down toward the bottom of the editor page for every show labeled tagging

• 3 weeks later...

When your referring to the tagging in the metadata editor are you talking actual tagging or are you referring to the file naming format? if file format then it is what you see in my previous illustrations,but if actual tagging then i don't have an anything tagged at all as per the entry down toward the bottom of the editor page for every show labeled tagging

@@wangbo, if you use the 3-dot menu, then click edit metadata, what does it show for season and episode numbers for these episodes? Are they correct? I'm talking about the dedicated fields for season and episode number, not the title. Thanks.