Covers for Music Videos .175 - Bug?

unisoft

unisoft

On Roku Streaming stick, Emby v175, I think Ive found a bug.

1. If I launch Emby on the Roku and go straight into MUSIC VIDEO library (type Music Videos), the cover art is displayed on parent folder and sub folders correctly (each Folder.jpg 200x100 96 dpi). Shown as landscape images but not within portrait "cards" (inline with other Emby apps and as expected).
  2. If I launch Emby and go into TV Library (type TV) FIRST, then go into Music Video library, the pictures are sized too small when I go into any folder one level deep. Instead of the one level deep being the same size as the parent folder above it (as expected as all the same image size) it all get resized with a 'card' display for each sub-folder. The image is shown as small landscape within a portrait dvd style "card".

Exit Emby and do option1  again and pictures all correct size. The images are 200x100 96 dpi (all the same) and were this size as came from Windows Media center library originally. All all other Emby apps, the images are displayed correctly regardless of whether you have been in another library beforehand.

Emby Server = Synology v4.2.0.40

Edited by unisoft

Yes, this kind of behavior was reported elsewhere recently... perhaps by @@denz?

I think there is some sort of weird "hangover" value problem between the different screens.  @speechless, can you please make this a priority to look into?

Thanks.

Is this on the grid? If so I am in the process of iron that grid out and find the "leaks" where these issues come through.

This is just a minor thing, but yes, it damages the brand.

I am on it as we speak. I should be able to have something to fix all this up very shortly. I am working on the grid as we speak making this all spot on.

@@unisoft This is on the grid screen, correct? Does this occur on any other screen in regards to music videos? Folder view on the grid or just normal grid presentation?

@@ebr usually it is a difference in how listContentTask calls the json parser "parseResponseAsListNodes" which sets the card frame. Then the image fetcher fetches images on top according to type. If the two screens/calls use different LoadModeId to call listContentTask this is defintely why and can cause that issue. I can fix this. I will make the poster grid shine with perhaps some "familiar" spotlight dropshadows with solar flares or something too. While I am there...lol... It needs to match the detail screen. Jaw dropping... I have those Emby green "bouncy arrows" on the bottom of the grid to show when scrolling up/down is possible. Maybe that can make it too. I will go ridiculously over-the-top astounding. ^_^

Edited by speechles

@@ebr usually it is a difference in how listContentTask calls the json parser "parseResponseAsListNodes" which sets the card frame. Then the image fetcher fetches images on top according to type. If the two screens/calls use different LoadModeId to call listContentTask this is defintely why and can cause that issue. I can fix this. ^_~

That would not explain the same screen producing different image sizes on subsequent calls...

That would not explain the same screen producing different image sizes on subsequent calls...

Yeah it must be losing loadtypeid and just using loadmodeid which would throw it off. Since type could be "" and isn't being set somewhere. I can find where it is. At the moment I am correct a few other areas. So this should fix every (all?) grid-screen issue with content after I finish. I am going to throw all types at it with "show more" on top for good measure. The "show more" may be the culprit here. It does misbehave on some content with no known type. Like "latest" and "continue watching" with "show more". I can fix those. I planned on doing this today when I noticed it yesterday I was just into creative mode on our detail screen. Hopefully you've seen the advancements in that detail screen area I keep sharing. It isn't ready yet for production purposes(users eyes yet) but it is magical. There is more to the carnival/attractions it is going to offer once users land on that detail screen. I will tie it all into every screen and make it so awesome that we just look amazing. Because Emby is amazing. :)

@@ebr food for thought. Why doesn't Emby have a mascot? We need a mascot. A little figure or creature or something that embodies Emby. I can use that mascot in some animations and really give you something that touches hearts. We need a cute, greenish mascot. Maybe a frog. Emby as a frog. That can work. Have you ever thought about an Emby mascot? You can probably see where I am going with the mascot idea. This is the same exact idea I was going to do Blue Neon Night 2.0 with and I can do for you. If only Emby had a logo _and_ a cute mascot character ... LOL ^_^

If Emby mascot was a frog the sound frogs make could easily be used as navigation effects to tie into the entire thing. This could work and give that Disney feel. Just sayin'...

Edited by speechles

unisoft

Is this on the grid? If so I am in the process of iron that grid out and find the "leaks" where these issues come through.

This is just a minor thing, but yes, it damages the brand.

I am on it as we speak. I should be able to have something to fix all this up very shortly. I am working on the grid as we speak making this all spot on.

@@unisoft This is on the grid screen, correct? Does this occur on any other screen in regards to music videos? Folder view on the grid or just normal grid presentation?

@@ebr usually it is a difference in how listContentTask calls the json parser "parseResponseAsListNodes" which sets the card frame. Then the image fetcher fetches images on top according to type. If the two screens/calls use different LoadModeId to call listContentTask this is defintely why and can cause that issue. I can fix this. I will make the poster grid shine with perhaps some "familiar" spotlight dropshadows with solar flares or something too. While I am there...lol... It needs to match the detail screen. Jaw dropping... I have those Emby green "bouncy arrows" on the bottom of the grid to show when scrolling up/down is possible. Maybe that can make it too. I will go ridiculously over-the-top astounding. ^_^

Hi

I'm not sure what is meant by grid? I just have a normal view, sorted by name. I am not using "FOLDERS" top menu item for example.

1. Also, I have ALBUM ARTISTS set as the sticky option for MUSIC library, but when I go into Music it defaults to ALBUMS
  2. Also for TV, I have GENRES set as a sticky option and it goes into SHOWS ignoring it.
  3. For LIVE TV, I have GUIDE as the default screen to show on entry and it doesn't.
  4. The rectangle focus frame on home screen sticks on the left library picture tile. In a library view the focus frame moves as you scroll along, and also the same under Apple TV Emby app (expected behaviour)

Overall, I like the ROKU app and I can see lots of hard work gone into it. I wish the developer would help on the LG TV app if they could, as that currently has a few issues like backdrops not changing when going back to the home screen (i.e. a movie backdrop is left shown on home screen, even though you have a backdrop for each named library) and the LOGO.PNG being far too small whereas ROKU app gets it nailed 100% for size. The TV guide on LG isn't like the ROKU in displaying the TV picture. And the text for top level menu options and section headings above the LG home screen image tiles are too small for 10 foot viewing.

Top marks to whoever does this ROKU app though. I wouldn't copy all the visual theme aspects (like the buttons) to say, the LG App, but they work well for a ROKU device and looks polished.

Edited by unisoft

1. Also, I have ALBUM ARTISTS set as the sticky option for MUSIC library, but when I go into Music it defaults to ALBUMS
  2. Also for TV, I have GENRES set as a sticky option and it goes into SHOWS ignoring it.
  3. For LIVE TV, I have GUIDE as the default screen to show on entry and it doesn't.

Hi.  The Roku app doesn't currently have the ability to respect those choices.  It will in the future.  However, your music library shouldn't be going to an "Albums" view - it should be going to a view with multiple rows like "Latest" and Favorites.

1. The rectangle focus frame on home screen sticks on the left library picture tile. In a library view the focus frame moves as you scroll along, and also the same under Apple TV Emby app (expected behaviour)

This is just the navigation paradigm on this device.  It is called "Fixed Focus".  The reason it behaves differently for your library row is because there are not enough items in it to fill the entire screen.

unisoft

Hi.  The Roku app doesn't currently have the ability to respect those choices.  It will in the future.  However, your music library shouldn't be going to an "Albums" view - it should be going to a view with multiple rows like "Latest" and Favorites.

This is just the navigation paradigm on this device.  It is called "Fixed Focus".  The reason it behaves differently for your library row is because there are not enough items in it to fill the entire screen.

I'm sure fixed focus as you call it, USED to scroll the frame across even if there was only enough libraries to fill the screen a few Emby ROKU versions ago? The APPLE TV app still does it and it looks good in this respect.

Anyway, do we know if the image sizing issue inside a "card" display when it shouldn't be for Music Videos will be fixed? It's rather an odd issue in that it sometimes displays as expected (without the "cards") and other times incorrectly landscape image inside a portrait card making landscape image too small to see.

Edited by unisoft

Anyway, do we know if the image sizing issue inside a "card" display when it shouldn't be for Music Videos will be fixed? It's rather an odd issue in that it sometimes displays as expected (without the "cards") and other times incorrectly landscape image inside a portrait card making landscape image too small to see.

We are working on it.

Thanks.

I'm sure fixed focus as you call it, USED to scroll the frame across even if there was only enough libraries to fill the screen a few Emby ROKU versions ago? The APPLE TV app still does it and it looks good in this respect.

This app is the only one that does this because it is also the only one that allows the content to "wrap around" from beginning to end.  For the sake of consistency (and avoiding this confusion) we may change that in the future.

The wrapping is supposed to be a feature of the Roku to prove it is easier to use than other platforms. Roku expects (read as demands) all efforts be made to reduce button presses. Emby simply embraced this philosophy when they made the app. Why is this a bad thing? Please give feedback. Thanks. :)

Note: Removing the ability to wrap rows (front->back and back->front) while navigating may cause rejection of certification. Roku expects this behavior. Need to have a really good reason ready for them when taking this away.

Edited by speechles

Roku expects this behavior. Need to have a really good reason ready for them when taking this away.

Why do you think that?  There are two valid methods of handling focus on a row list - one with wrapping and one without.

unisoft

The wrapping is supposed to be a feature of the Roku to prove it is easier to use than other platforms. Roku expects (read as demands) all efforts be made to reduce button presses. Emby simply embraced this philosophy when they made the app. Why is this a bad thing? Please give feedback. Thanks. :)

Note: Removing the ability to wrap rows (front->back and back->front) while navigating may cause rejection of certification. Roku expects this behavior. Need to have a really good reason ready for them when taking this away.

About the focus frame; I'm talking about the library image tiles - where the first library has the rectangle around it to show it has focus. Normal user expectation is the focus frame would move left and right as you scroll. It could stop on the last library and go no further or then wrap round to the first library again (this bit can be whatever).

At the moment, ONLY library image tile 1 has the focus frame rectangle/square around it and any of the other library image tiles move to tile 1 position as you scroll. I'm sure a few versions ago, the ROKU was correct and the current Apple TV app does get this UI movement as one would expect. You' expect the focus frame to move left or right along the tiles depending on the key left or key right movements made on remote.

Edited by unisoft

I'm talking about the library image tiles - where the first library has the rectangle around it to show it has focus. Normal user expectation is the focus frame would move left and right as you scroll. It could stop on the last library and go no further or then wrap round to the first library again (this bit can be whatever).

At the moment, ONLY library image tile 1 has the focus frame rectangle/square around it and any of the other library image tiles move to tile 1 position as you scroll. I'm sure a few versions ago, the ROKU was correct and the current Apple TV app does get this UI movement as one would expect. You' expect the focus frame to move left or right along the tiles depending on the key left or key right movements made on remote.

Again, this is simply the style of navigation in use on this device.  It is unique to this device.

unisoft

Again, this is simply the style of navigation in use on this device.  It is unique to this device.

Yeah but how is it unique? I'm pretty sure it used to operate the same on ROKU app as the Apple TV app still does? Why did it have to change, it just looks odd now as tile 1 on home screen is always the focus frame only. Media Center always scrolled around its tiles too for example. It didn't stay fixated at tile number one on a row of menu tiles.

And the latest content wrapping - if it had a sizeable space between end of a line and repeating back at the start it would be cool, but it doesn't.

Edited by unisoft

Yeah but how is it unique? I'm pretty sure it used to operate the same on ROKU app as the Apple TV app still does? Why did it have to change, it just looks odd now as tile 1 on home screen is always the focus frame only. Media Center always scrolled around its tiles too for example. It didn't stay fixated at tile number one on a row of menu tiles.

And the latest content wrapping - if it had a sizeable space between end of a line and repeating back at the start it would be cool, but it doesn't.

It has been this way for quite a long time actually.  The reason you may just now be seeing it may be that you increased the number of libraries you have visible.

Starting right now, I would be inclined to not use this feature on this platform due to the confusion it is causing you and the fact it is only available on this platform.  However, I know from experience that, if we remove it, we're going to hear a lot of people say "Hey - what happened to my row wrapping on Roku!"

Why do you think that?  There are two valid methods of handling focus on a row list - one with wrapping and one without.

Because they will notice the paradigm shift and question the change.

I know they have twp methods of focus (built in - we could make a 3rd or 4th or 17th). We wrap either focus method (...and do) in the popup selector. It makes use of both focus methods. So wrapping is a Roku thing IMO.

The style of focus wraps natively with one method (fixedfocus) and the other(floatingfocus) requires a little hand-holding to get the wrap but both easily wrap.

The popup selector on the detail page for example.

With less then 5 items it can show these without the need to show the --------- line it uses to show when it wraps from top to bottom. So you can move the focus down into the selections. It is a floating focus.

With more than 5 items it shows these as fixed focus and adds that -------- line to show where the wrap occurs since it isn't obvious because the focus keeps the same place.

So both methods of focus we do wrap on the Roku for a purpose. On Roku it must be simple and must be less button presses. If you have the ability to wrap then take it away from people you will see complaints about why was it taken away. There are two sides to the teeter-totter.

Why is wrapping bad? Can we address that. What about wrapping a row isn't intuitive and obvious?

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48

One thing I found a little bit confusing until I got used to it about the wrapping on screens that have a jump list is that if I am on a row and I press right until I reach the end of the row and then press right one more time I am moved to the first item on the next row  BUT if I do the same thing by pressing left I go to the jump list before moving to the last item of the next row up. I think a special key press. like ff/rw from any position in the grid to go to the jump list would be better but that would, probably, confuse some folks even more. It is too bad, in many ways, that the Roku remote is so limited.

But now it seems the behavior is natural and is what I expect and I believe that were it to behave differently, say by always going to the jump list on a row change, I would find it annoying, at least until I got used to the new behavior.

Basically I like wrapping but I get used to a particular behavior and it is a little confusing whenever the behavior unexpectedly changes.

The bottom line is that us old guys hate change unless it is the exact change we have asked for. It is really more that we hate surprises more than anything else. ;) Actually I have never, even when I was young, liked surprises. If I am surprised then I have a chance to be disappointed and disappointment is what I want to avoid as much as possible or at least draw it out so the effect of the disappointment is lessened.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

One thing I found a little bit confusing until I got used to it about the wrapping on screens that have a jump list is that if I am on a row and I press right until I reach the end of the row and then press right one more time I am moved to the first item on the next row  BUT if I do the same thing by pressing left I go to the jump list before moving to the last item of the next row up. I think a special key press. like ff/rw from any position in the grid to go to the jump list would be better but that would, probably, confuse some folks even more. It is too bad, in many ways, that the Roku remote is so limited.

I had the jump list reachable from both sides. Eric thought it was better that going right moved the grid upward and positioned focus at the next row up.

I had it do the same thing as moving left off the screen. Moving right off the screen moved you to the alpha picker. Moving right from the alpha picker moves you to the left side of the grid. Moving left off the alpha picker moves you to the right side of the grid.

So what you are seeing yes is expected as much as that is how it is designed. We could use the ffwd and rewind buttons to enter on off the alpha picker but that isn't as intuitive and expected as just normally moving there with focus.

I want to avoid change that makes users need to press more buttons. The entire UI for a 10 foot interface should be make the user press as few buttons as possible to get to the desired result. Any button presses saved = time saved. We think alike. I want to keep this line of thinking. ^_~

Edited by speechles

Why is wrapping bad? Can we address that. What about wrapping a row isn't intuitive and obvious?

1) Because it is not very obvious the row is wrapping - that is a Roku interface issue but, more importantly...

2) Because no other Emby app does this and we don't really want them to.

We started out a few years ago with our apps adhering to the interface paradigms of the device they were on very closely in order to gain acceptance for them as new apps.  Now that we are much more established, we are working towards a consistent experience (as much as possible) with our apps across all devices.

1) Because it is not very obvious the row is wrapping - that is a Roku interface issue but, more importantly...

2) Because no other Emby app does this and we don't really want them to.

We started out a few years ago with our apps adhering to the interface paradigms of the device they were on very closely in order to gain acceptance for them as new apps.  Now that we are much more established, we are working towards a consistent experience (as much as possible) with our apps across all devices.

#1 yeah.. Roku natively wraps in one focus but not the other. I found that strange and fixed it so the other focus method did wrap, but conversely can fix the other so it doesn't wrap too. But why Roku made one wrap and the other require manual intervention to wrap is strange. Almost like two different fellows made those interface or two teams at different times. It almost looks clumsy but it has been that way so long to fix it would "irk" developers so I get why they just "leave it this way" with this strangeness. It works. It is a known thing. It is okay. I agree.

#2 Why don't other Emby apps wrap to provide a convenience to get from the back to the front of a row and vice versa? These are helpful "genie" gestures that you wish would be there. I try to add the "genie touch" when I design the navigation trail. I try to think how would a user new to this without any prior experience in anything know this was the right thing to do. Then go find someone to fit that bill and ask them. I design alot with people who are just at my house at the time. They say but I don't know what that is...they have no idea what Emby is.. and I say.. PERFECT! You are just the right eyes for this... then explain a tiny bit to get them to try the controller and move around and tell me where they feel pain. Where does it feel not natural and why? I want to understand how it feels to not be the guy making the thing. But want to see through the eyes of someone freshly discovers it and how they expect it to work and feel. Then I want to know why they expect that and how they became trained to those behaviors they want in the UI. They may say well Netflix does it this way or YouTube. My daughter is my harshest critic she says it feels more native to the device that is better so likes the wrapping. Netflix does it too she says. But then people who grow up younger may not expect wrapping. Older people will. It is a hard one to get right. You fail either way. An option would be best if wrapping was taken away from Roku. Those new who don't even know what it is and when they learn hate it can leave the option disabled. Us who love it can enable. It should come enabled since it has been that way since forever. But we can compromise. People expect their media their way and part of that is.. to wrap or not to wrap?

I understand the push to consistency believe me but at the same time those other apps can become like the Roku and learn to wrap and make their users lives easier with a few less buttons to press. Button mashing is not a desired trait of any media player.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48
@ebr food for thought. Why doesn't Emby have a mascot? We need a mascot. A little figure or creature or something that embodies Emby. I can use that mascot in some animations and really give you something that touches hearts. We need a cute, greenish mascot. Maybe a frog. Emby as a frog. That can work. Have you ever thought about an Emby mascot? You can probably see where I am going with the mascot idea. This is the same exact idea I was going to do Blue Neon Night 2.0 with and I can do for you. If only Emby had a logo _and_ a cute mascot character ... LOL

May I humbly suggest:

5d4363beadf5f_Plat.jpg

It is cute, furry, lays eggs and is one of the very few venomous mammals.

That makes it fascinating, funny, fun and a little dangerous and that would make it a good choice for an Emby mascot.

It is not green but that can be fixed by a dye job.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

@@Gilgamesh_48 How about a sprite sheet animation in 64x64 form and maybe some high resolution PNG? lol... I would need the sprite sheet to carry out the animations. We would need walking, maybe some idle animation for him a tongue flick out or something. But this is not something high on priorities. It would be cool to do though and I could write it rather quickly as I am very adept at unity. But if this were realized and a mascot was proposed it would need to be something royalty free or one-time-payment-ish and include the sprite sheet for animations along with some high-res PNG and the PSD to generate whatever effects are laid on the PNG to get it there.

... it would also be very low priority. Since it isn't something really integral or WOW factor it would just be fun to do... lol

Maybe have a small zoo of Emby creatures and occasionally parade some around. This is just me being creative.

Edited by speechles

Gilgamesh_48

Because of its uniqueness the platypus has been filmed and photographed by a LOT of scientists and biologists and much of that data is made free to use so getting royalty free content would no be a problem.

Way way back in college I thought I might be interested in exotic animal veterinary medicine and one of the animal types I studied was "single representative" families of which Ornithorhynchidae is one of the few. Because it is native to Eastern Australia I thought it might allow me to visit a lady I fancied at the time. It turned out she was only interested in me for my math skills so I moved into other fields of study pretty quickly.

However I did develop a fondness for the platypus and even helped try to raise a family at the local zoo/aquarium.

Now back to Emby. If the platypus would make a good model for an Emby mascot I would be happy to help chase down any videos or pictures you might want BUT my graphic design and photo manipulation skills are VERY low so I would not be much help beyond acquiring the graphics.

Since you  said this is a very low priority so I will not, unless you want, make any special effort for this.

The mascot idea is silly but ya know mascot is what football teams use. Most professional sports teams have these. Some corporate companies have these mascots. USPS uses that Eagle. So there is value to a mascot but it must illustrate and co-exist with your brand. I love platy because it lives with frog. The two share the same ecosystem. The two are neighbors in the pond.

So while I am with you on the charm of the pond life others may not see frog or platypus as something to love. They go EWWW. And tie Emby to EWW is not likely. So this may not come to fruition and might just be something to laugh about.

But I really could make something with a mascot. If I had a mascot I could do things I have in mind but cannot because Emby lacks a mascot. I could do frame animation just like a video game and walk the little guy out to tell you stuff rather than slide those dialogs out to tell you errors happened. You go damnit not platy again. Yep just got platypus'd again.

People would go what is being platypus'd? You'd say its when an error occurs on this media player and this company uses this little guy to announce errors. Always the platypus gets to be that guy. Then other messages can be a frog announces them and hops on screen. Then a moose announces the main dialogs. It can be a zoo like I said. An Emby zoo of zany mascots. I had this idea for BNN 2.0. Make it like a Dr. Seuss book made love to a Disney movie and had a baby. So zany and fantastical that it makes people question is this a media player or a video game in itself?

That way a childs eyes magically open as wide as saucers when that gift they never imagined(but hoped and wished with all their heart) is under that wrapping on Christmas morning. That moment of discovery that yes this is really happening. I want people to feel that as they discover more and more things it just does when it gets bored. Like it wants to play with your artwork and throw it around. No more dark opacity. It wants color. Have little guys walk on screen to conversate with you and help you know what is happening. If you let it just stay on any screen long enough things will "become alive" bounce around and dance. So it feels less like a machine and more like a heart/friend. The way you feel when you are at Disneyland on the Main Street USA with the Light Parade just in front of you. That is how I want Emby on Roku to feel. Just like the carnival is in town again. You get to be a kid again.

Side-Note: The carnival is in town here tonight Redwood Empire Fair. I am going tommorow. :P

That's a video Google's auto-awesome made of my 2013 trip to the Redwood Empire Fair. It has a certain awesome to it... haw

Edited by speechles