Is there a full guide for setting up Kodi + Emby

ecrispy

ecrispy

Sorry for the vague title. Of course there are instructions in the various wiki's but I'm looking for a full guide that would cover all of the following -

- picking an advanced Kodi skin 

- setting up all the Emby libs and automatic detection and update (how does Emburary do this, is it coded into the skin?)

- setting up widgets on home page etc

- setting up Kodi properly (e.g. mapping keys to exit playback on back etc)

- setting up smart playlist etc as nodes

I have a really large library, in the past I've tried to do this and ended up getting frustrated, trying different  skins each of which has their own way to config the menu, reset each time etc.

So I'm ok with an opinionated setup which will work well and can use the full power of Emby + Kodi. I know a lot of this is probably related to Kodi itself but any help would be appreciated since I obviously want to use Emby as my server.

(the clients I will be using are Nvidia Shield, Roku Tv and Fire Stick 4K. Since there is no Kodi on Roku I use Emby app for it but I'd like to use the better playback and skins of Kodi in other clients).

Edited by ecrispy

sualfred

Embuary is full of "hacks" and predfined, hardcoded stuff to get the best Emby like experience that is possible. 

Usually you don't have to setup anything for it. Pick Emby for Kodi or EmbyCon and install Embuary. Done. If you want widgets and stuff changed? Easy. Visit the Embuary options in the settings.

If you don't want to use Embuary pick a skin that supports custom widgets and install the Embuary helper script. It has a auto detection for Emby nodes integrated plus a bunch of compatible widgets that can be used as source in any skin, if you are using Emby for Kodi. EmbyCon provides his own possible widget nodes.

For the remote, keymapping, etc -> kodi.tv. There are tons of options, possibilities and more. There is no one rule to fit them all. Each setup, device and personal scenario is different. That's the power of Kodi, but you have to dive into it to learn what's possible and how different skins make things possible.

ecrispy

Embuary is full of "hacks" and predfined, hardcoded stuff to get the best Emby like experience that is possible. 

Usually you don't have to setup anything for it. Pick Emby for Kodi or EmbyCon and install Embuary. Done. If you want widgets and stuff changed? Easy. Visit the Embuary options in the settings.

If you don't want to use Embuary pick a skin that supports custom widgets and install the Embuary helper script. It has a auto detection for Emby nodes integrated plus a bunch of compatible widgets that can be used as source in any skin, if you are using Emby for Kodi. EmbyCon provides his own possible widget nodes.

For the remote, keymapping, etc -> kodi.tv. There are tons of options, possibilities and more. There is no one rule to fit them all. Each setup, device and personal scenario is different. That's the power of Kodi, but you have to dive into it to learn what's possible and how different skins make things possible.

Ok so as I suspected the magic detection of nodes in Embuary is coded into the skin? Is there any way this could be used in other skins, by making it into a common module? I suppose not as each skin seems to have its own config and its not standardized, right?

sualfred

Nope, no way. You have to rework the complete logic of the other skin. And I'm talking about more than just a few hundred lines. In most skins it wouldn't work how I did it, because their base construction logic is incompatible.