Autoplay Next Episode Not Working in Roku App

Shikago Shogun

I also am having the issue of shuffling shows or playing from start that the Roku will just crash. I also use it at night to go to sleep and when I wake up in the middle of the night it's on the screen saver at the main Roku screen. I had been using a htpc for years running emby theater with no issues like this.

Can you provide a server log after one of these crashes? That should give enough context to see where the server notices the Emby Roku app has disappeared. Right before that should give some clues as to what happened.

Also.. if you let the app go idle(playing nothing at all) and your Roku checks(it does this once every 24 hours) for an application update to the Emby app and finds one the Roku will fall back to the Roku home screen to get the update and update the app. It does this in order to update the Emby Roku app. This is normal behavior if you were not playing items and on the Emby home screen when it goes back to the main Roku home screen automatically over night. It is annoying but if we prevent this "auto update" they can block the Emby app from being published on the Roku store. We have to play by their rules on their playground.

Edited by speechles

2020-05-16 00:02:22.809 Info MediaProbeManager: ProcessRun 'ffprobe' Execute: C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\ffprobe.exe -i file:"Z:\TV\Two and a Half Men\Season 10\Two and a Half Men - S10E07 - Avoid the Chinese Mustard.mkv" -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_chapters -show_format -show_data
2020-05-16 00:02:22.921 Info MediaProbeManager: ProcessRun 'ffprobe' Process exited with code 1
2020-05-16 00:02:22.921 Error App: Error in ffprobe
*** Error Report ***
Version: 4.4.2.0
Command line: C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: True
User Interactive: True
Runtime: file:///C:/Users/Tim/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
System.Environment.Version: 3.1.3
Processor count: 8
Program data path: C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
Application directory: C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
System.Exception: System.Exception: ffprobe failed for file:"Z:\TV\Two and a Half Men\Season 10\Two and a Half Men - S10E07 - Avoid the Chinese Mustard.mkv" - streams and format are both null: 
{

}

ffprobe version 4.3.0-emby_2020_02_24-g5abbb1430d+4891 Copyright (c) 2007-2019 the FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC
  built with gcc 9.2.0 (Rev2, Built by MSYS2 project)
[matroska,webm @ 000001d0428b0980] Format matroska,webm detected only with low score of 1, misdetection possible!
[matroska,webm @ 000001d0428b0980] 0x00 at pos 0 (0x0) invalid as first byte of an EBML number
[matroska,webm @ 000001d0428b0980] EBML header parsing failed
file:Z:\TV\Two and a Half Men\Season 10\Two and a Half Men - S10E07 - Avoid the Chinese Mustard.mkv: Invalid data found when processing input

at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Probing.MediaProbeManager.GetMediaInfoInternal(String inputPath, String primaryPath, MediaProtocol protocol, Boolean extractChapters, String probeSizeArgument, Boolean isAudio, Boolean forceEnableLogging, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MediaBrowser.Providers.MediaInfo.FFProbeVideoInfo.ProbeVideo[T](T item, MetadataRefreshOptions options, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.RunCustomProvider(ICustomMetadataProvider`1 provider, TItemType item, String logName, MetadataRefreshOptions options, RefreshResult refreshResult, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Source: Emby.Server.MediaEncoding
TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

Is this the file causing you problems on the Roku?

"Z:\TV\Two and a Half Men\Season 10\Two and a Half Men - S10E07 - Avoid the Chinese Mustard.mkv"

The Roku trusts the header 100% of the file given. If this isn't actually an MKV but an TS container then it would possibly crash the Roku. You may be able to fix this with MKVToolNix GUI and its header repair function. The Roku will always trust the header of all files and may occasionally run into a corrupt file that will crash it. Ffprobe does not like the file above either.

If you search your logs for the keyword "misdetection" you will find more possibly like this. Those may not be MKV or might have the front part of the file damaged where the header resides. If the header section is damaged the Roku could crash. Once again, MKVToolNix GUI may be able to fix these.

It looks like this might be the cause of your crashing. The Roku is a very trusting device. It trusts you do not rename AVI to MKV and etc. If you do it will try to play the AVI like an MKV and unpredictable results happen.. 9 times out of 10 the Roku crashes. 1 time out of 10 you get a black screen with a hung player. You would rather it crashed.

If you were playing on shuffle that series above "Two and a Half Men" most certainly this caused the crash.

Let us know if you find this isn't the case and we can dig deeper. We are here to help you. :)

Edited by speechles

tdwilli1

No, it is the King of Queens.

Just started another "Play All" and it stopped in less than an hour.

Here is that log.

I had been playing that series on the HTPC with 

theater with no issues. Ripped myself right to a MKV.

embyserver.txt

Edited by tdwilli1

Does the stats for nerds on the Roku app show these files as DirectPlay?

I am guessing here that it is either DirectStream, Remux, or Transcode shown.

Can you show us the media information from the bottom of the web app for one of the items? We can also tell some things from the stats for nerds of the Roku app. Seeing both a picture of the stats for nerds of the Roku app and a screen shot of the media information from the web app will help tremendously in solving your issue. As well as any ffmpeg log created from that session.

Edited by speechles

tdwilli1

It was only a few files in the first season that had the video part not set as default. Remuxed with the video set to default and now it hasn't crashed for a week.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, just wanted to ask if there was any update on this issue.

I am still seeing it with transcoded content on Emby Server (docker) 4.4.3.0 and client Roku 4.0.4.
Besides HEVC => h264, it occurs with MPEG4 => h264.

• 2 weeks later...

Also having this issue with Roku 4.0.4 on Emby server 4.4.3 for several months. Will start paying attention to specific files, but at the moment I'm seeing autoplay issues with H264 files software transcoded. 

On 9/29/2020 at 11:40 AM, James14 said:

Also having this issue with Roku 4.0.4 on Emby server 4.4.3 for several months. Will start paying attention to specific files, but at the moment I'm seeing autoplay issues with H264 files software transcoded. 

Hi.  Have you tested this with Server 4.5.1 yet?

oneduality

I'll test it this weekend, it was happening to me a couple of days ago though.. odd thing is the videos play fine when selected individually in the tv series, but in auto play each one just sits there like it's loading but never plays.. 

Other series' work fine.. but there's several that just don't, I can't imagine it's a codec thing since you can manually select the next one and press play.. My issue has been an open complaint for over a year

Edited by oneduality

markg22

I can confirm the 'loading' prompt or spinner does still appear on the Roku (not fixed).  The server is now on 4.5.1.0.

Edited by markg22

13 hours ago, markg22 said:

I can confirm the 'loading' prompt or spinner does still appear on the Roku (not fixed).  The server is now on 4.5.1.0.

Thanks.

Oh this is promising!

Looking good so far on Emby Server 4.5.1.0 and Roku client 4.0.10.
Gonna test out more files that I know were causing problems before.

TY!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't speak for everyone but the issue appears to be resolved for me with 4.0.10.
I can't reproduce the issue anymore with the same tv series files that normally cause it for me.

Thank you emby team!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, josevh said:

Can't speak for everyone but the issue appears to be resolved for me with 4.0.10.
I can't reproduce the issue anymore with the same tv series files that normally cause it for me.

Thank you emby team!

Thank you for the continued feedback. We are constantly improving the application and without feedback from users we can only assume what we have done will work for everyone. We like to know it does. We need users to respond back in order to improve the various platforms. Thank you for helping create a better experience on Roku.

If you find any other problems do not feel shy about creating a new thread to share your opinion. We use feedback as our compass to navigate through these waters. Anything that interrupts your experience please let us know what we can do to improve. We need the opinions of fresh new users and how it feels to be the new guy. We want that new experience to be as painless as possible. Hopefully that is exactly what you have witnessed. Thanks for choosing green.

• 2 months later...

Update to my Feb 2020 post on this thread:

Loading Prompt:  I am now on Emby 4.5.4.0 and after almost every episode or music video continues to get hung at the 'loading' prompt after the first show/video ends.  This is the same behavior that has been ongoing for some time now.  Sometimes it will play 2 or 3 in a row, but it's rare and this is a super annoying problem as you can't enjoy playlists, etc without manual intervention.  To work around it, when the loading prompt is on the screen, I hit the down arrow on the remote then the right arrow and press OK.  The next video/show will then play normally until it ends and the process repeats.  Most all content is MP4/H264 or H265 / transcoded.  I have tried with both GPU and Non-GPU assisted offloading.  This has been occurring since ~Q3 2019.

Live TV:  When i referenced the system doesn't clean itself up very well and channels were still reporting being watched from days ago.  I have narrowed this down to a sequence issue on the Roku.  IF you exit live TV by using the 'BACK' button on the remote, the stream normally stops and the system stays pretty clean.  If you hit the 'HOME' button and exit the Emby app back to the main Roku menu, this issue occurs almost every time.  When you hit the 'home' button and exit the Emby app without stopping the live TV program with the back button, the HD homerun will keep sending the data and lock up that transcoder like it's still being watched.  The system will eventually run out of transcode disk space and crash if I don't manually restart the Emby services to clear this up.  Restarting the Emby services from the mobile app or server releases all the transcodes and purges the disk and all is good again.

My question:  how much longer until we can get a fix for the 'loading' issue - it seems this shouldn't be too hard to fix??  Fixing the live tv issue on Roku would be an added bonus!

markg22

I now have the beta and production versions running side by side.  The latest beta 4.6.0.10 is exhibiting the same behavior as described in my post above.

3 hours ago, markg22 said:

I now have the beta and production versions running side by side.  The latest beta 4.6.0.10 is exhibiting the same behavior as described in my post above.

Hi, he meant the beta version of the Roku app, not the beta version of the server.