Autoplay Next Episode Not Working in Roku App

Shikago Shogun

I didn't mean to imply it only happens with hw transcoding, just giving info.

I haven't tested the issue with software transcoding. I'll test tomorrow.

I sent you a direct message with a dropbox link. It's the last file played which experienced the issue when roku finished playing it.

Jumping in on this also.  I am having the same issue with playlists AND next episodes (binge watching).  The first couple will play fine, then at the end of 3rd or fourth the video will go black and the playback stops.  Hitting the down arrow on the Roku remote and manually selecting next > resumes the playback, but then it seems almost every video hangs at the end - sometimes there is a "loading" message, other times just black screen.

Emby Server: 4.3.1.0 on Server 2016 x64 (Hardware transcoding disabled)

Roku 3: 4200x | Software: 9.2.0 Build: 4804-04

Emby Roku App:  3.0.193

Video Formats:  MPEG4 (H.264 and H.265/HEVC) - does it more commonly on H.265 from what I've experienced, but is still present on H.264.

I can be watching a music videos (playlist) or watching a series (non playlist) when this happens (all are being transcoded BTW).  It was first noticed about late summer/fall 2019.  It doesn't appear to affect watching via a web browser, but certainly is happening on all of the Roku devices.

Unrelated to this post, but other noted issues: 

* SOME of the Roku's ignore the 'Are you still watching' prompt - even when disabled, after x amount of time on 'Live TV' the unit will give you a 15 second or so countdown and if no response, kick you off.  Sometimes returning to the Emby main screen, other times exiting completely back to the Roku main screen.  This happens often as Emby is my main source for Live TV, it is used daily.

* Video playlists will allow adding of hundreds of items, but on Roku only 250 appear to be playable when a playlist is loaded.

* The screen saver, even if disabled, seems to keep impacting Emby - if left unattended for a while.  It does not do this with other apps.  The screen saver that activates is the falling words "Roku" screen saver - kind of Halloween looking.  This is not the screen saver for the Roku system (which is set to digital clock). 

* The transcoder folder doesn't do a very good job at cleaning itself up, until the server is restarted.  Often times I find that a transcoder still thinks I am watching a channel from yesterday.  The transcoder shows the channel is still being watched even though it's not.  Once Emby is restarted, the transcoder releases the channel on the HDHomeRuns.

Edited by markg22
  • Like 1

I'll add a data point, besides HEVC transcoding I've also seen it on media like the one attached below. The server transcodes it to H.264(AVC) for my roku tv.

GbOwDVr.png

Edited by josevh

Hi,

i just want to say that i installed yesterday emby server and start playing on roku, what i have noticed is that at the end of the episode (like 2 seconds remaining) will just stop and does not move to the next episode. 

sad to see this problem is from last year and not fixed

kpkimmel1983

Jumping in on this also.  I am having the same issue with playlists AND next episodes (binge watching).  The first couple will play fine, then at the end of 3rd or fourth the video will go black and the playback stops.  Hitting the down arrow on the Roku remote and manually selecting next > resumes the playback, but then it seems almost every video hangs at the end - sometimes there is a "loading" message, other times just black screen.

Video Formats:  MPEG4 (H.264 and H.265/HEVC) - does it more commonly on H.265 from what I've experienced, but is still present on H.264.

I can be watching a music videos (playlist) or watching a series (non playlist) when this happens (all are being transcoded BTW).  It was first noticed about late summer/fall 2019.  It doesn't appear to affect watching via a web browser, but certainly is happening on all of the Roku devices.

* SOME of the Roku's ignore the 'Are you still watching' prompt - even when disabled, after x amount of time on 'Live TV' the unit will give you a 15 second or so countdown and if no response, kick you off.  Sometimes returning to the Emby main screen, other times exiting completely back to the Roku main screen.  This happens often as Emby is my main source for Live TV, it is used daily.

* Video playlists will allow adding of hundreds of items, but on Roku only 250 appear to be playable when a playlist is loaded.

* The screen saver, even if disabled, seems to keep impacting Emby - if left unattended for a while.  It does not do this with other apps.  The screen saver that activates is the falling words "Roku" screen saver - kind of Halloween looking.  This is not the screen saver for the Roku system (which is set to digital clock). 

* The transcoder folder doesn't do a very good job at cleaning itself up, until the server is restarted.  Often times I find that a transcoder still thinks I am watching a channel from yesterday.  The transcoder shows the channel is still being watched even though it's not.  Once Emby is restarted, the transcoder releases the channel on the HDHomeRuns.

have all these issues, on roku 4k ultra.  Bought last month.  Newest emby server on windows. 

klrivera

Having the same issue with continuous play and also noticed the screen saver problem mentioned above.  I'm using Emby on a Roku TV.

That is the screen saver because you paused the video player for a long time. We cannot control that screen saver. It will be whatever the default is for that device. RokuSTB differs from RokuTV. Vendor (TCL vs Insignia vs RCA) to vendor differs too. This is the internal video player screen saver you mention and it cannot be changed. My TCL RokuTV shows TCL all over the video player screen saver.

Edited by speechles

• 1 month later...
markg22

Luke,

I see on the current release notes (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases) there has been (possibly) some progress on this issue.  Do you have an ETA of when the current 4.4.0.26-beta will become available for us on the regular production (non beta) channel?  I'm happy to upgrade to test this out but don't really want to move to the beta on my production box.

Luke,

I see on the current release notes (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases) there has been (possibly) some progress on this issue.  Do you have an ETA of when the current 4.4.0.26-beta will become available for us on the regular production (non beta) channel?  I'm happy to upgrade to test this out but don't really want to move to the beta on my production box.

Very soon.

markg22

I have upgraded to the latest version - looks like some nice enhancements have been added.  However, I am still having the 'next episode' issue where after a show or two it hangs on the black 'loading' screen.  This is also present in playlists, sometimes it will play 3-10 videos before it happens, other times it is almost every video it hangs on.  I can provide any additional info you may need to troubleshoot this very annoying issue, just let me know what I can do to help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
oneduality

Issue here as well.. I just stopped reporting issues, but this one is particularly annoying me because I just added tons of tv content and it helps me to get to sleep, with all that's going on it helps me .. but it doesn't work with tv..

It works with playlists .. but it does not with tv shows, it used to ... I have changed nothing from when it worked to when it stopped, I don't know exactly when it stopped because I haven't used it for old tv shows in a long time.. but the only differences have been server upgrades and app upgrades ( Roku app and windows 10 server ) 

Any clue at all what broke this? .. it seems like it's not much of a priority which is a shame.. the first report was July 2019 and now we're rolling into June 2020 soon.. 

Shikago Shogun

I has been a while since this started, has anyone found a work around or a better app to try?

I also use this to help get to sleep so it is very annoying, especially right now. I pretty much had to switch back to using Plex almost full time because there isn't an issue with their playlists, but their episodes also stop after 3 or 4 if you are playing a series and I can't be bothered to throw everything into a playlist before I begin watching it. Any recommendations are appreciated!

oneduality

I know other software that works beautifully, I only use emby for it's multi-user / permissions support.. other than that I've had numerous issues I've posted in the forums that haven't really been solved, I see questions asked all the time .. sometimes they are solved.. I've seen feature requests that go without implementation for a couple of years now.. with the response generally being that it's on the roadmap.. I'm not thrilled with Emby.. but I still like that feature so I can watch along with friends and family.

I feel it would be bad form for me to mention the other software in the Emby forums however so I don't do that.. the other option I use plays without a hitch and is great for single user use, auto playback and organization is a dream.. it also has channel support to add in custom created channels and feeds.. you can pretty much add live tv that way..  you can add your amazon prime, youtube, roku and other accounts in .. there's roku apps, apple apps, android apps... and no it's not free.. you can record your streams from any of those services as well so you have a copy in your local library... IMDB and TVDB integrations ( as well as some others ) .. so it has everything Emby has, it's cleaner..  BUT .. it lacks the multi-user support ..  Emby is the best one out there for that.

If they would be more responsive to bug fixes and feature requests it could be amazing.

Edited by oneduality

tdwilli1

I also am having the issue of shuffling shows or playing from start that the Roku will just crash. I also use it at night to go to sleep and when I wake up in the middle of the night it's on the screen saver at the main Roku screen. I had been using a htpc for years running emby theater with no issues like this.