Autoplay Next Episode Not Working in Roku App

Shikago Shogun

Shikago Shogun

I have a Roku Express and I have this same issue when using the regular and the beta version of the app. When trying to watch a season of a show about 75% of the time  the next episode will not load, the loading screen comes up but the bar stays empty and will never load. I also have the same episodes in a playlist that goes season to season but the same thing happens there too. If I start the playlist from the beginning or put it on shuffle it will play a few episodes without issue but it always eventually gets stuck. I tried restarting both the roku and emby as well as checking for updates but it keeps happening like this for a few days now. The episode played fine on my web browser and and when I cast from my andrioid app to the chromecast it also continues playing with no issues. The log is attached.

ffmpeg-transcode-4fa2ace9-d488-4e49-ab16-a7ee06ae4625_1.txt

Hi, so it won't play when advancing? What about if you just go back into the app and try to play that next episode?

Shikago Shogun

If I start the next episode manually it will play and if I manually advance it to the next episode before the current one ends then the next episode will load and play, that works in both in the playlist and when just choosing an episode in the season.

I can look into this. It may be due to "missing" virtual episodes intermixed. These will/can/do stop the auto-play dead in its tracks. These are seen as the end. As fas it goes. To get beyond this a user must skip these virtual/missing episodes. At the moment it isn't by-pass these if the user enables showing these missing episodes.

In the Blue Neon Night app it did skip these virtual episodes when building a virtual series queue. The BNN app also ran into the next season and did not stop at the end of one season but would carry on at the beginning of the next. It might be better to approach this like BNN does and start the current episode but skip any and all virtuals in between. As you get to the end of one season move to the next. That is exactly how BNN did this trick. This would alleviate the problems and let auto-play do just that and auto-play episodes without asking questions.

Edited by speechles

I can look into this. It may be due to "missing" virtual episodes intermixed. These will/can/do stop the auto-play dead in its tracks.

No, if a virtual episode is encountered, that will just be the end of the queue.  It would not behave as described here.  Not stopping when a missing one is hit would cause someone to inadvertently jump ahead in the series and miss content without even knowing it.  I think that is a bad design (as it has happened to me before).

As you get to the end of one season move to the next. 

This is already taken care of in the beta.

• 2 weeks later...
playloud

This sounds like what is happening to me when viewing TV episodes on Roku TV.  Pretty sure it has happened in stable and Beta.  

Close to the end of episode, or at the end, screen goes to "Loading" and sticks or app crashes back to Roku main page.

Shikago Shogun

Yes, that is it exactly it and it is still going on. I had to switch back to Plex for now because at least there the continuous play works if all the videos are added to a playlist. I hope it is resolved soon by Emby so I can switch back.

This sounds like what is happening to me when viewing TV episodes on Roku TV.  Pretty sure it has happened in stable and Beta.  

Close to the end of episode, or at the end, screen goes to "Loading" and sticks or app crashes back to Roku main page.

Yep I've seen this. I was like WTF cmon... It starts to piss you off, right? I mean really this again? You kick the Roku across the room. Scream at it. Then stomp it for good measure. Then pick her up gently. Set it back. Then rub it. Im sorry Girl. I had to do that you were misbehave. See what you make me do. I know I know. Stop crying Roku. It will be okay as soon as you never do that again... lol

But honestly abuse isn't cool. But imagine the Roku as your wife and beating her is sort of funny. As it is comedy. Beating your wife for real isn't comedy. So there is a line I am not cross. But the point is I have no idea why that happens. It must be the new "go to new season" when playing through as that wasn't there before. That might be doing some funky things. I can chase this but right now there is alot of balls being thrown around I have to catch. So I may let this one stay off the court ATM. At least until the other things I am doing are near completed and in bug testing phases fully. I don't like to have tons of changes thrown in as then you lose track of the main agenda. 

But trust me we are working on this. I am for sure going to because it does piss me off and I am one of the guys help making the thing. So trust me these things will pass. Annoying things with Emby will be dealt with. We don't let annoying things last. They are annoying. :)

Please stay tuned... lol ^_~

Edited by speechles

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
crfloyd0932

For me, it seems to happen more often with HEVC encoded videos, x264 videos will often play through several. HEVC though will almost always go to "loading" after the episode is over. Maybe transcoding related?

For me, it seems to happen more often with HEVC encoded videos, x264 videos will often play through several. HEVC though will almost always go to "loading" after the episode is over. Maybe transcoding related?

Does it get stuck on "loading" and the progress indicator stays at 0%. No purple shows on the bar?

Can you please test this with the current beta version of the app just to see if it is different?

Thanks.

Is the latest beta version 3.0.183 ?

If so, the issue still occurs for me.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to let you know that, unfortunately, I am still seeing the issue with the following versions:

Emby Server (docker) 4.3.0.26

Roku SG 3.0.193

Again, for me, this only happens on the 720p Roku TV for which emby transcodes HEVC.

On my 4K Roku TV, which doesn't require emby to transcode HEVC, this issue does not happen.

Also note, the content I am experiencing this with is not 4K, just happens to be HEVC encoded.

Edited by josevh

Hi Luke,

The playing episode ends.

The screen goes to black then the loading bar for the next episode appears (empty) but the next episode never loads nor does the loading bar show any progress.
It stays like that until I back out. I've waited up to about 5 minutes.
Once backed out, I can select the next episode manually and it plays immediately without errors.

For more context, the server and clients are on the same local network.

I have seen this behavior. Let me add this to our tracker so we can internally investigate. Thanks for spotting the issue. More eyes are never a bad thing. There is never bad feedback. Please report all issues. Thanks again. ^_^

Reference:

Issue #690: [Video Player] Auto play sometimes doesn't play (player becomes stuck) 

• 2 weeks later...
Binokiller666

Hi,  I have the same problem with my roku.   I try with a firestick and the problem doesn't come.  I don't know if it can help.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd point out that this issue still occurs. Although some new behavior has started a few weeks ago. Now on occasion the loading bar will not show and it will hang on a black screen. With the Roku remote I am able to press down and manually cause the next episode to play via the onscreen button.