Roku stops showing subtitles as soon as I ffd/rwd

ecrispy

ecrispy

I have latest Emby server on Windows 10 pc + client on Roku Tv. All my libs are mapped with UNC paths and direct streaming works fine. The big problem is subtitles.

They will work fine when I start playback and I can change style with Roku subtitle settings. But as soon as I rewind/ffwd they stop. If I then exit out and resume playback from last position, they show again.

This sounds like a serious bug to me and is very annoying.

ecrispy

Hi there, can we please go over an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

@@denz are you able to reproduce?

Sure, I will attach server logs when I am home. Just to be clear, you want me to create a new topic in Emby server forum, or reply here?

denz

I have tried 3 recordings with DVB_Teletext no issue but it is so slow it takes about 30 seconds to resume and tried a movie with SUBSRIP or SUBRIP and no issue it is so much quicker tried backwards and forwards and no issue. 

So the issue is probable with the type of subtitles

@@ecrispy attach the logs here and also attach the ffmpeg-transcode logs something should show up.  

denz

@@ecrispy can you try just fast forwarding without rewinding I was able to reproduce it today on one file but interesting only if I was rewinding fast forwarding couldn't reproduce it. So on one file it is like rewinding turns subs off for this file.

The difference is this file it is direct playing whereas dvb-teletext it has to transcode so it has no issues with subtitles.

Edited by denz

@@ecrispy can you try just fast forwarding without rewinding I was able to reproduce it today on one file but interesting only if I was rewinding 

Do you happen to have your Roku set to show captions on rewind?

denz

Didn't know there was a setting for that. I will look at the settings and report back.

denz

No such setting that I can see. I tried subtitle mode to always but no on rewind turns it off.

Have you checked Roku system settings?

I can reproduce this issue.  It appears to be a syncing problem with our HLS delivery.  We're trying to chase it down but it seems it almost has to be related to the server as it is being seen only when transcoding and in two completely different apps.

Thanks.

ecrispy

I see this when direct playing and no transcoding is happening. Also in Roku there are no options for CC when rewind.

Even though not transcoding audio or video(which is all stats for nerds shows) it might still be using a form of transcoding(and still showing direct play) to side-car the external srt into the stream. Are these external srt subtitles that disable themselves or internal (inside the file)?

Edited by speechles

I can dig into this in a bit. Going to do some stress tests on this new Roku streaming stick+ 3810 and might as well make it the guinea pig to do the rest of the problem areas with. I will use the streaming stick+ as the defacto developer unit for a bit and see if it lives up to what we expect. Then I will compare to the rest of the Roku herd I have. The 4K RokuTV is amazing. I now have 2 50 inch Roku TV 4K side by side and love them both to death. Not to knock the Roku ultra either it is good but when "the Roku" is just "IN" the TV it feels so good. One remote to rule them all kind of good.

( Side note: It is "very" difficult to pair remotes when multiple Roku are in the same area. To pair them you gotta unplug every other one and hope. Hope is key to remote pairing with Roku. )

We will solve the subtitle issue. I will put this at the top of the list and the Roku streaming stick+ 3810 will be the device used. In this way I can hopefully see that OSD shade and/or backdrop shade issue we have on this 3810 model and the subtitle issue at the same time. Kinda kill two birds with one stone. Well kill two with one hand grenade. That is how I want to do to these "bugs". Eradicate them. Scorched Earth style. 

We also apologize for this issue and sorry it is on-going and yadda yadda. But take this serious. We will solve it. It won't be an issue much longer. It is simply a bump in the road. I will soon smash it to pieces. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
ecrispy

I can dig into this in a bit. Going to do some stress tests on this new Roku streaming stick+ 3810 and might as well make it the guinea pig to do the rest of the problem areas with. I will use the streaming stick+ as the defacto developer unit for a bit and see if it lives up to what we expect. Then I will compare to the rest of the Roku herd I have. The 4K RokuTV is amazing. I now have 2 50 inch Roku TV 4K side by side and love them both to death. Not to knock the Roku ultra either it is good but when "the Roku" is just "IN" the TV it feels so good. One remote to rule them all kind of good.

( Side note: It is "very" difficult to pair remotes when multiple Roku are in the same area. To pair them you gotta unplug every other one and hope. Hope is key to remote pairing with Roku. )

We will solve the subtitle issue. I will put this at the top of the list and the Roku streaming stick+ 3810 will be the device used. In this way I can hopefully see that OSD shade and/or backdrop shade issue we have on this 3810 model and the subtitle issue at the same time. Kinda kill two birds with one stone. Well kill two with one hand grenade. That is how I want to do to these "bugs". Eradicate them. Scorched Earth style. 

We also apologize for this issue and sorry it is on-going and yadda yadda. But take this serious. We will solve it. It won't be an issue much longer. It is simply a bump in the road. I will soon smash it to pieces. :)

Sorry for the late reply, life got in the way and I haven't used my server since. Just wanted to say thanks for looking into this and promising a fix. This is why I love Emby !! You don't get this kind of support and direct contact with devs in most products.

• 2 months later...
Napsterbater

Sorry for the late reply, life got in the way and I haven't used my server since. Just wanted to say thanks for looking into this and promising a fix. This is why I love Emby !! You don't get this kind of support and direct contact with devs in most products.

I agree,

Also I just wanted to add I have this issue as well, Windows Server 2019 w/Emby 4.3.0.24 using 2 Roku Sticks 3800x with App Ver 3.0 Build 193 (Stable) and 197 (Beta).

Current workaround is disabling "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly".

I agree,

Also I just wanted to add I have this issue as well, Windows Server 2019 w/Emby 4.3.0.24 using 2 Roku Sticks 3800x with App Ver 3.0 Build 193 (Stable) and 197 (Beta).

Current workaround is disabling "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly".

What type of subtitle are these? If they are SSA/ASS we need to disable those in the Roku profile. Roku will MUNG these. It is remvoing data it thinks its irrelevant such as formatting, styling, etc and stripping it into plain text. Most of the time the Roku is able to display these properly. But I think their MUNG has become more of a problem. They may be removing text too. Sometimes SSA/ASS do not even show up.

If these are SRT it is likely the Roku is not allowing us to set the subtitle because one is already set as default. Make sure there isnt any default subtitles within the container it is trying to use. It is a bug in the new Roku 9.2 firmware. Roku is supposed to be correcting this rendering only default subtitles bug. They have acknowledged it on their forums.

Napsterbater

This particular file was per Emby

Subtitle
Title: Und (Default Forced ASS)
Codec: ASS
Default: Yes
Forced: Yes
External: No

Just the single subtitle track, So 1 Video, 1 Audio, 1 Subtitle 

Edited by Napsterbater

This particular file was per Emby

Subtitle
Title: Und (Default Forced ASS)
Codec: ASS
Default: Yes
Forced: Yes
External: No

Just the single subtitle track, So 1 Video, 1 Audio, 1 Subtitle 

We need an option in the app to allow burning SSA/ASS or sending them as is. It has been discussed before. This issue occurs when the subtitle is both default and SSA/ASS that the Roku may goof up when you fast forward or rewind. Because it then begins in the middle of the stream it no longer can read the subtitle because SSA/ASS subtitles the Roku strips down to pure text and sometimes even removes text. This is why we will have to do something soon about this. Roku is taking a long time to fix this.

Edited by speechles