Any Closer To Record Series Based on Sports Team (NFL Specifically)?

bungee91
Go to solution Solved by bungee91,

bungee91

It's about that time again, so this long requested item is on my mind.

We need to be able to record based on additional schedule data such as the description in order to support this.

Yes, wish list recording, ... is something that will eventually come, however this would be extremely nice to have sooner than later.

I can find the previous threads/requests for this if/as needed. I'm just curious when this may be on the radar? I'm kind of thinking not so much for this NFL season (which hasn't even started yet), but am hopeful and thought I'd ask.

This has worked with HDHR DVR for quite some time now, and I don't believe they have full blown wishlist recording (I could be wrong, haven't used it in a while now).

Thanks. 

I still feel like we need better conflict management before we can expand the recording features like this because features like this will create enough conflicts that you will simply have to have a way to manage them.   All of that is in our plans.  

Spaceboy

I still feel like we need better conflict management before we can expand the recording features like this because features like this will create enough conflicts that you will simply have to have a way to manage them. All of that is in our plans.

i disagree. Conflict management can be very complicated and it seems to me that we would be accepting a significant delay to the implementation of this request if you are making this a prerequisite.

Some of us have enough tuners and common sense that implementing manual and keyword based recordings should be prioritised

• Like 1

bungee91

I still feel like we need better conflict management before we can expand the recording features like this because features like this will create enough conflicts that you will simply have to have a way to manage them.   All of that is in our plans.  

Understand, and I suppose it makes sense regarding the effort to support individuals who will have issues with tuner availability once implemented.

Also agree it isn't much of a concern for people with more than enough tuners (myself included) to have this feature sooner than later.

It sounds as if it won't happen prior to the end of this NFL season, which is pretty disappointing (I could be wrong though, would love to be actually).

Not because of NFL per say, but updates to the DVR portion of Emby is the area where I'd like to see the most improvement in the short-term.

I know you're working as fast as you can (and the ability to start a recording from the EPG recently is a step in the right direction!) just hoping it gets a somewhat higher priority than other planned features.

• 1 year later...
bungee91

Bumping this old topic to find out if we're any closer (or already at the point of) this being an actual feature.

There have been recent improvements in guide data, grouping, sorting, channel management, etc. However my guess at this time (can't test, not football season) is an NFL team is going to be the program name of "NFL Football" (as it was previously) and a series recording by team is still not possible.

If not... Can we get some priority to complete this prior to the football year kickoff in September (its the only reason I keep HDHR DVR hanging around at this point).

• Agree 1

This is still something we remain interested in for future updates. thanks.

• Thanks 1

BillOatman
On 5/28/2021 at 2:37 PM, bungee91 said:

Bumping this old topic to find out if we're any closer (or already at the point of) this being an actual feature.

There have been recent improvements in guide data, grouping, sorting, channel management, etc. However my guess at this time (can't test, not football season) is an NFL team is going to be the program name of "NFL Football" (as it was previously) and a series recording by team is still not possible.

If not... Can we get some priority to complete this prior to the football year kickoff in September (its the only reason I keep HDHR DVR hanging around at this point).

I can see this being useful for NFL team season recording, and as a matter of fact I have it setup to do so with Emby and my IPTV providers team channels so it can record then strip commercials (HUGE time saver, no commercials in NFL games).  But one game a week for (I guess now) 17 weeks, it's not the end of the world scheduling the recording.  Now if you are trying to do this for all the teams instead of 1 or 2 it becomes much more painful :)

• Like 1

I'm an American football nut and this is definitely something that I want as well as well.
From NFL to NCAA to basically any sport this is needed.

Guessing here, but my gut says this will most likely be in the next version of Live TV recording when that rolls out along with manual recording and recording based on titles.

• Agree 1

bungee91
5 hours ago, cayars said:

...but my gut says this will most likely be in the next version of Live TV recording when that rolls out along with manual recording and recording based on titles.

🙄🤤🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...
richlee91

Any update here?   Tivo did it great, Plex has a drop down within the Program of "College Football" to choose a team.  Anyway to make this happen?

Thanks!

BillOatman
3 hours ago, richlee91 said:

Any update here?   Tivo did it great, Plex has a drop down within the Program of "College Football" to choose a team.  Anyway to make this happen?

Thanks!

For Plex your IPTV provider needs to have dd_progid provided for the games in the xmltv fiile.

Emby I believe needs xmltv_ns provided.  Then the option to record the series should be available. But a Emby dev can verify.

Edited by BillOatman

1 hour ago, BillOatman said:

For Plex your IPTV provider needs to have dd_progid provided for the games in the xmltv fiile.

Emby I believe needs xmltv_ns provided.  Then the option to record the series should be available. But a Emby dev can verify.

We already support reading this value, however, that's not going to create the sports-specific feature that he's looking for.

But @richlee91can you do this with keyword recordings? Does the name of the team appear in either the episode title or description? If yes then keyword recordings should do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
bungee91

Using the Keyword Type "Episode Title" works for me in support of the Chicago Bears (I use the full name) as an example.

I have one set for Title and Overview as well, however that records commentary and random other shows that mention them and should not be used for this use case. 

Two things here @Luke:

1) Keyword recording most don't know about because it seems to only be in the web client with no shared future for implementing into the apps (I've even recently asked for this in the new WMC app/theme; yes WMC itself did this very well) No idea if/when this is coming to the primary Android App.

2) We should have the option to pick one or more types for this to search the keyword for (Episode Title, Title, and Overview) instead of having 3 separate keyword related search queries (I asked for this when you released this feature in that related thread and it to was met with... crickets).

It will get into all apps.

2) We should have the option to pick one or more types for this to search the keyword for (Episode Title, Title, and Overview) instead of having 3 separate keyword related search queries (I asked for this when you released this feature in that related thread and it to was met with... crickets).

And yes this is certainly possible. 

• Thanks 1

richlee91

I need to be able to stack the criteria.  If I use the Episode Title as Penn State.  I get Penn State Football and VolleyBall, etc  all of the Penn State sports, I just want football.  I could do this if I could also add a title criteria of College Football.

Here is what I am trying to get

image.thumb.png.d7e0b6cdd0a0421edfd8558197791aa7.png

Here is what I am getting,  any ideas?

image.thumb.png.167195ee9414f1c0560403e80f2ff3a3.png

2 hours ago, richlee91 said:

I need to be able to stack the criteria.  If I use the Episode Title as Penn State.  I get Penn State Football and VolleyBall, etc  all of the Penn State sports, I just want football.  I could do this if I could also add a title criteria of College Football.

Here is what I am trying to get

image.thumb.png.d7e0b6cdd0a0421edfd8558197791aa7.png

Here is what I am getting,  any ideas?

image.thumb.png.167195ee9414f1c0560403e80f2ff3a3.png

HI, yes, stacked criteria is certainly possible for future updates.

richlee91

Thanks for the reply.  Just to be make sure we've been clear.  I want a show only to record when Penn State is in the Episode title AND College Football in the Title.  The use case bungie91 talks about is more of an OR case (Chicago Bears is in Title or Episode TItle).

Thanks for taking the request.

On 10/10/2023 at 9:29 AM, richlee91 said:

Thanks for the reply.  Just to be make sure we've been clear.  I want a show only to record when Penn State is in the Episode title AND College Football in the Title.  The use case bungie91 talks about is more of an OR case (Chicago Bears is in Title or Episode TItle).

Thanks for taking the request.

HI, yes more improvements to this are certainly possible. Thanks.