Coming Soon - New Jump In List

Abobader

chef

Wow! So awesome. "Ctrl J". I gotta add a speech command for this.

"Pull up Jill" or "show jump list" or something.

I'll have to phonetically spell out the letters in the alphabet and add them as commands.

Then put a media centre sendkeys command to the handle and "whammy". Just like anchorman!

Koleckai Silvestri

While MBC isn't my client, these are very nicely done. Great job.

While MBC isn't my client, these are very nicely done. Great job.

Thx.

I've always thought triple-tap was a real pain which makes our nice JIL (Jump In List) functionality in MBC fairly hard to use.

So, for the next release, I've created a much better JIL for use with the remote control.  The functionality is in the core of MBC but it will be up to each theme to implement it because there is no way to know where on the screen is safe for the selector for any given view in any given theme.  Therefore, the themes/views will have to design them into the proper place.

In Chocolate the "blue" button or ctl-J will produce the new JIL selector (where, will depend on the particular view).

53862bbbec5c7_mbcjil1.png

This selector isn't simply an alpha list.  It is tailored to the content of the actual list in view.

53862bed0cbf3_mbcjil2.png

Likewise, it is tailored to the way the particular view is sorted.  So, the options will change based on sort order.

53862c16a7c8c_mbcjil3.png

53862d1fb5d38_mbcjil5.png

I think this will make jumping around with a remote much easier.

• Like 16

Good day,

No matters what we was hoping for another client/s for MB3 server, till today, nothing worth (personal view) for htpc as MBC now days.

This not just to say thanks Ebr, but please keep punting your time and work on this lovely and only client I use.

My best

• Like 1

AdrianW

I installed the dev update a little earlier this evening, and I'm not sure how this is supposed to be quicker, than the triple tap method.

If I bring up the A-Z jump list and want to get to "P" for instance, I have to cursor right 15 times and then hit OK - were with triple tap I just need to press the number 7 once.

Even with key repeat, it's still BLUE + a long press on Cursor Right + OK/Enter - Am I missing something here?

• Like 1

The benefit isn't about being faster it's about being easier. Triple tap is only used if you know it's there. This is 1000 times more valuable than triple tap because it makes things easier for average joe.

Not about average Joe the matters here buddy, what a client that can play any video format by shift that to more powerful external player or use use pc codecs, and no need to convert your media to fit this or that.

Koleckai Silvestri

I installed the dev update a little earlier this evening, and I'm not sure how this is supposed to be quicker, than the triple tap method.

If I bring up the A-Z jump list and want to get to "P" for instance, I have to cursor right 15 times and then hit OK - were with triple tap I just need to press the number 7 once.

Even with key repeat, it's still BLUE + a long press on Cursor Right + OK/Enter - Am I missing something here?

If I was using this, I would probably spend more time figuring out which button to tap, double tap or triple tap on the remote than using this tool.

• Like 1

techywarrior

What about if instead of it being a horizontal list it was a 5x6 rectangle? It would be harder to find a place to fit it but that could be alleviated by making the window/rectangle that appears semi transparent (if desired by the theme dev). This way to open it will still be a simple trigger (ctrl-j/blue btn) but no letter would be more then like 5 button clicks away.

I don't know how your new jump list is handling the ratings and stuff (I know you mentioned it does more then just letters) but as long as there aren't too many options it may fit into this as well. Also, it can still be intelligent by either not showing the values with no results or graying them out (in case of the alphabet). Grayed out values would be skipped by the remote.

• Like 1

AdrianW

I realise this is just the first release and it will evolve over time. Can I suggest one improvement which I think fits within the current design of MBC - allow for page up & page down (channel up/down)) and jump say 6 letters at a time - that would at least make it quicker.

I like the speed of triple tap - but even with a back-lit Harmony, it's difficult to know which key is which letter.

. Also, it can still be intelligent by either not showing the values with no results or graying them out (in case of the alphabet). Grayed out values would be skipped by the remote.

It's already doing this - see the second screenshot in ebr's first post.

Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 1

techywarrior

It's already doing this - see the second screenshot in ebr's first post.

Yea, you missed the point. It was in reference to that second post, and that changing to a 5x6 grid could still allow the intelligence.

I do like the idea of having page up/down jump a bunch at a time. That may make ebr's implementation easier to use.

CBers

I thought page up/down through a list had always been there, via the channel uo/down on the remote?

AdrianW

I thought page up/down through a list had always been there, via the channel uo/down on the remote?

It is there for lists of shows, episodes, seasons, etc - but it isn't implemented (yet) in this new jump list.

Edited by AdrianW

CBers

It is there for lists of shows, episodes, seasons, etc - but it isn't implemented (yet) in this new jump list.

Gotcha.

I toyed with the idea of making it a grid but I like the look of the horizontal list more, the list is dynamic based on content and sort order so a grid doesn't always make sense and, I think it is actually easier to pick out where to go with your eye with the flat horizontal list than with a grid.

When I'm presented with an on-screen grid that is in alpha order, it always takes me a few seconds to find the letter I'm looking for because my mind is not used to the grid presentation of characters.  If it is QWERTY I can find it easier but, again, this is not just alpha characters.

This implementation is very similar to the XBOne, I think.

I'm going to put it out there for use for a while before thinking about changing it.  I can maybe implement the paging though.

The benefit isn't about being faster it's about being easier. Triple tap is only used if you know it's there. This is 1000 times more valuable than triple tap because it makes things easier for average joe.

chef

I think AdrianW's idea of the channel up/down to skip quickly through the alphabet could be looked at more closely.

I think this is a great tool.

If I was using this, I would probably spend more time figuring out which button to tap, double tap or triple tap on the remote than using this tool.

Exactly, totally agree. If you can design it for a roku remote then you've got something that will be easy for everyone to use.

AdrianW

Another idea (don't know how standard/non-standard this is) - would be to use the numeric keypad to jump around the list, so pressing:

1 - jumps to the beginning

5 - jumps to the middle

9 - jumps to the end

Other digits could jump a proportional distance in between the beginning and end.

Maybe - but only if it doesn't interfere with the other triple tap operation (which should still work as well as this).

gthrift

Looks nice, ebr.  One question, how does this work with sort by unwatched?  My wife and I use sort by unwatched so the movies we haven't seen yet are presented first.  The issue is that triple tap doesn't really work because it gets confused by it being kind of alphabetical but not completely alphabetical.