"Too many errors, giving up" (Amazon Fire TV) or "Playback Error - No compatible streams ..." (Webpage)

austinchief

austinchief

I have upgraded my emby server from 3.6XXX (I can't remember exact version ... but Roku/iPhone Apps stopped working, and Amazon Fire TV complained about incompatible server) to 4.2.0.40 (through 4.1 to beta after beta after beta) by means of FreeBSD 11.1-> 11.2 -> 12.0.   In other words, I have been working on this all week long through multiple beta versions to finally the Latest release 4.2.0.40.   I did not try getting emby server working on FreeBSD 11.2 ... I upgraded to 11.2, then straight to 12.0.

Emby server was originally installed via manual method.    I have worked through all the issues of converting to pkg add method.   

All ports updated.

All pkgs upgraded.

FFMPEG rebuilt with lame per instructions in forum.

BUT ... I am having trouble playing media via webpage or Emby App on Fire TV or Roku.

I get the following error in my log:

ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libx264.so.155" not found, required by "libavcodec.so.58"

Playback is fine (at least so far) using the Emby App on iPhone.

I hope this is obvious and/or simple ... but I am pulling my hair out.   I have scoured the community forum to the best I can.   Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

embyserver - 7.25.2019 - 10.15pm.txt

Hi there, did you run the install instructions for freebsd that are listed on our website?

austinchief

Yes, exactly! I’ve removed package and repeated installation instructions. Rebuilt ffmpeg with lame per instructions in an effort to fix as well.

Edited by austinchief

Did you run the command to install the dependencies? Is your FreeBSD system set for latest or quarterly packages?

austinchief

I'm running latest packages.  All dependencies updated, yes

Edited by austinchief

austinchief

Looks like my libx264.so is pointing to version 1.57 somehow.

lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel        14 Jul  5 18:33 libx264.so -> libx264.so.157

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel   2105408 Jul  5 18:33 libx264.so.157

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
austinchief

I have tried quarterly package and latest.   I then did a complete reinstallation of FreeBSD 12.0.   FFMpeg is expecting to find libx264.so.155 however, version libx264.so.157 is installed.    I cannot plan ANYTHING!!!!

In the interim, I have installed Emby-server on my linux workstation, however, that setup does not allow more than 1 stream to play simultaneously, if at all!    Most all streams need to be transcoded, where they used to direct stream.

MRobi

FFMpeg is expecting to find libx264.so.155 however, version libx264.so.157 is installed.  

This is likely your issue right there. The solution would be to install the older version then run a pkg lock so it doesn't pre-maturely update itself to an unsupported version.

How did you install Emby Server? Because if you install via FreeBSD ports this should never happen. If you install using the downloadable package from the website, then yes this is the nature of the best.

When FreeBSD system packages get updated, that forces us to update our packages. We should have new ones up soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
FreeBSD_Lover

....if you install via FreeBSD ports this should never happen.

I'm not suggesting that is what happened in this case; and while you are 100% correct Luke, some FreeBSD users get themselves into trouble by using both the ports system and the packages system. We call that 'mixing' and it almost always ends up with issues like this.  So you have to use only ports, or only packages, but never both.

The way to get the best of both worlds is to use a packages building system like Synth or Poudrier.  I use Synth.  It lets me customize any port options I want, then does all the dependency verification work, and then it build packages right on your machine; and then installs them.  Its an amazing system, easy to use, and I have had a 100% error free system since.

Just wanted to put that out there.