Hardware accelerated: No

annisman
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

annisman

Streaming From my server on my home network using Roku... During playback the information screen says hardware accelerated: No

There is definitely transcoding going on because my temporary transcoding folder on my server begins to fill up during playback.

So is my hardware not being used at all to transcode ? I have a GTX 1060 that I've selected to do all my transcoding.

The play method is 'remux' stream type HLS

Transcoding reason: audio format not supported.

Please give me some insight thx!

• Solution

Hi, when it's remuxing there is no video transcoding, therefore no hardware acceleration. This display should be changed to not show it at all rather than saying No. You're saying this is in the Roku app?

• Like 1

Yeah I'll grab a screenshot

Thanks but you don't need to.  We can adjust this in the app.

annisman

Oh alright. So if my video WAS using hardware transcoding what would it say during playback ?

Oh alright. So if my video WAS using hardware transcoding what would it say during playback ?

Not quite. It would not say simply "YES" if it was.

It would say "Encode" or "Decode" or "Encode + Decode".

@@Luke

What exactly is incorrect? During a remux there is no hardware used. It is (Direct) on the video stream. It becomes impossible for it to work with hardware acceleration since that requires modify a video stream. So users may think it is on. This tells them no. It isn't. We should not remove this. It is accurate. 

Audio decoding and encoding is ALWAYS cpu dependent. Is this the misconception users have is hardware acceleration should work for Audio too?

The Roku stats for nerds is the most accurate stats for nerds of any client. On purpose. We need this precision to know what is going on.

Please give an indication why we should remove "hardware acceleartion: NO" when remux? This is a fact and honest. There is none used. If there is a misconception to users then we can correct that but the app should not be removing pertinent information from the stats for nerds display that can be used to trouble shoot with.

Edited by speechles

annisman

For me the misunderstanding was not knowing that audio decoding is done only by the CPU. I guess it's a little confusing because the CPU is not being considered 'hardware'.

For me the misunderstanding was not knowing that audio decoding is done only by the CPU. I guess it's a little confusing because the CPU is not being considered 'hardware'.

I want users on Roku to know as much as possible to be their best detective. You are the closest to the case. The best investigator. Giving you the proper tools to proceed with your investigation is what the stats for nerds is doing. I do not want to remove things that may help users but at the same time I do not want confusion or misconception to give users the wrong idea. We want you happy.

But when things go sideways at the same time we want you able to get to the root of it without having to "scream into space" which is what posting on the forum is like. We hear those screams and are happy to come to your rescue but in this case I think it is more our bad for not explain that Audio decoding/encoding requires a CPU to normalize and reduce. I do not think the GPU can handle wave graphs and field separation. This is something we can do better at. I apologize we had you running in circles chasing your tail. We will do better in the future. Thanks. 

Instead of "Hardware Accelerated" how about we use "(GPU) Hardware accelerated" ?

@@Luke it might be possible to shove the string (GPU) on the front of the translation for "Hardware accelerated"? In this way we won't need that (GPU) part translated since GPU is the same acronym all over the planet isn't it? Let me know what you think. We need to correct the misconception.

Edited by speechles

Speechles - I've already addressed this.

For now, we simply do not show transcoding information unless the item is actually transcoding.  I think this is the best way to avoid confusion and mis-information on the part of the users.  This was a perfect case - the user was convinced his item was transcoding even though all the displays said otherwise.  This was due to the existence of all of that "Trasncoding" detail that was displayed in the stats.

Now, the one thing we might want to restore from what I removed is the "Reason" for a direct stream or remux.  But we really need to come up with a different label for it other than "Transcode Reason" when there is no transcoding going on.

We can attack that when we reformat the screen as planned.

Thx.

Speechles - I've already addressed this.

For now, we simply do not show transcoding information unless the item is actually transcoding.  I think this is the best way to avoid confusion and mis-information on the part of the users.  This was a perfect case - the user was convinced his item was transcoding even though all the displays said otherwise.  This was due to the existence of all of that "Trasncoding" detail that was displayed in the stats.

Now, the one thing we might want to restore from what I removed is the "Reason" for a direct stream or remux.  But we really need to come up with a different label for it other than "Transcode Reason" when there is no transcoding going on.

We can attack that when we reformat the screen as planned.

Thx.

There is something special about the "Transcode reason" on Roku that you may not have noticed in earlier server versions. The latest BETA server versions have restored this ability. You can have multiple transcode reasons. This is why the transcode reason is all the way at the bottom of its section. It would be rather trivial to change that to "New container reason" instead of "Transcode reason" when direct stream or remux. Is this what we want?

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

There is something special about the "Transcode reason" on Roku that you may not have noticed in earlier server versions. The latest BETA server versions have restored this ability. You can have multiple transcode reasons. This is why the transcode reason is all the way at the bottom of its section. It would be rather trivial to change that to "New container reason" instead of "Transcode reason" when direct stream or remux. Is this what we want?

Just copy what the web app is doing. Thanks.

The web app stats for nerds doesn't currently show a reason for remux/direct stream.

The web app stats for nerds doesn't currently show a reason for remux/direct stream.

But click the little (i) it shows it on the dashboard active devices.

Should not the stats for nerds alleviate the need to press the (i) on the server? In which case this is why perhaps the server should give the reason in stats for nerds?

Since (i) is not alleviated unless it does. The (i) and the stats for nerds would disagree on the web app. It is lying to itself. I don't like machines to lie to other machines. Especially lying to humans or users I dislike. I love honesty along with transparency and the end user completely aware what is going on without renaming terms or dumbing anything down. No watering down of language or changing anything. All verbatim. I love that. I love the fact I got to do that on Roku. I love Emby.

Hence should we give the reason since it is a new container? Why?

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1