Changing Emby server cache folder

annisman

annisman

Hi guys, picked up an M2 drive for transcoding purposes and there's plenty of room leftover. Would it be wise to move the server cache location here and if so should I cut/paste from my current cache location or just change it over and let Emby populate it ? Thx

annisman

Does anybody know what will happen ? I want to move my cache folder but all hesitant if it's going to screw everything up

Hi, you can change this without having to worry about copying the existing files over, although you can do that if you want. It doesn't really matter.

As far as whether or not it will improve performance, I guess that largely depends on the I/O performance of the cache drive vs. the drive that emby server is installed on. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

darkassassin07

You can move/delete your cache folder anytime you like without any real issues.

Somethings may take a little longer to load while that cache is re-populated, but subsequent loads will be back to normal.

It's not super nessesary to keep the old contents when moving it, but it wont hurt either way.

/edit @@Luke jinx lol

Edited by darkassassin07

annisman

What is the exact process to repopulate an empty server cache folder ? Just a library scan ?

annisman

Okay so it's very possible when I change my server cache folder my library is going to look pretty spotty for a while until it repopulates with all the correct images etc

annisman

If I change server cache location will the old location delete itself over time or will I have to do it ?

annisman

Ok, is the default location something like: C:Users\HTPC\Appdata\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata ??

It can be found on the front page of the emby server dashboard, if you haven't already customized it. if you have then it is most likely the cache sub-folder under the folder you just mentioned.