Server Name in DLNA

kingy444

kingy444

This may already be possible just wasnt sure.

I want to change the display name that comes up on the DLNA device when browsing. At the moment all devices see the server as 'Media Browser' im pretty sure I saw a setting somewhere to change it per device but I would prefer the change to be server wide. Is this possible?

Dont want to have to edit each profile individually as I woild prefer to ensure they are always updated with server releases (and individual editing gets messy and unreliable)

Any advice much appreciated.

FrostByte

I don't use DLNA, but does it use the friendly server name under the dashboard general settings

kingy444

Na that is already set. Though I would have no issue if thats what it used. Wach profile has an individual setting for the display name

bertbert72

My devices definitely see the "Friendly Sever Name" setting ok.  I don't have anything defined in the specific device profiles.  However I'm running the dev build and I know there have been a lot of changes in DLNA since the last release version, so perhaps this is one.

kingy444

I actually have two servers running. A prod and dev so I can work on plugins without busting my server. Hence the reason I want to vuew them as a certain name. Its hard to choos the right server when they keep showing up as Media Browser for both. Definitely have friendly name different on both servers

bertbert72

I do the same with a server tracking DEV and another running LIVE, each with a different name.  Looking at it a bit closer, I think different clients see different things.  

My Samsung TV sees both servers with the correct friendly name.  My Popcorn Hour and PS3 just see Media Browser. So not sure if this is a server or client problem, but I'd guess server.  At least that is what would have to change no matter which is wrong.

The server must be broadcasting both the default and the friendly name.

kingy444

Funny that your samsung tv sees the friendly name. I have a series 8 and it definitely sees 'Media Browser'. My WDTV is the same. And my phones dlna app actually. Cant think of any other things I have at the moment that can see the dlna server but all see the default name

MrFlibbles

Under DLNA setting on the dashboard, select the profile you are using. Under "info", expand the "server" section.

- Server Settings
These values control how Media Browser will present itself to the device.

Friendly name

Pretty sure that is what you are after.

kingy444

Yea. Aware how to change on a per profile basis. Looking more for a GOD setting that all the others obey unleas set in the manner you said.

So i would expect you set the friendly name on the main page as discussed earlier and all profiles use that unless changed within the devices settings

bertbert72

Funny that your samsung tv sees the friendly name. I have a series 8 and it definitely sees 'Media Browser'. My WDTV is the same. And my phones dlna app actually. Cant think of any other things I have at the moment that can see the dlna server but all see the default name

I'm totally wrong.  I have the friendly name set within my custom profile, which is why the TV is seeing the custom name.  Just happened that I'd changed the default to the same thing.

So in that case I'm seeing the same as you.  Friendly name set within the profile works otherwise it uses "Media Browser".  I note that all the system profiles have this set by default, so I'm guessing that it is being pulled from there rather than the overall server setting.

MrFlibbles

Yea. Aware how to change on a per profile basis. Looking more for a GOD setting that all the others obey unleas set in the manner you said.

So i would expect you set the friendly name on the main page as discussed earlier and all profiles use that unless changed within the devices settings

Ah sorry, mis-understood the question. Move along - nothing to see here ;)