Android TV Emby app requires Emby Premiere?

rbrown3

rbrown3

I have a Bravia TV, which is an Android smart TV. I put an Emby app on this TV and was pretty impressed by its handling of my somewhat extensive movie collection.

I began to play one of my movies, and a very brief message came up telling me that I was in a "trial perid"and that iin August I would have to get a Premiere account in order to keep using the app.

While Premiere seems to have some nice features, I really do not want it. I do not need its features. I just need something to manage and play my movies.

Are there any alternatives to this pay app for an Android TV? Also: what other Emby clients require you to have Emby Premiere accounts???

Edited by rbrown3

rbrown3

Granted that is what it says on that page (I looked at that page before downloading Emby because I actually considered buying a premiere account when I first learned about Emby). That isn't what the Emby app says. 

The Emby app says it is a trial, and that in a few days I am going to need to buy a premiere account in order to have what it calls "unlimited play".It says this every time I play a movie with it.

What bothers me about it most is that usually when a company gives trial software it usually says that the software is trial on the website where you download it. The Emby app did not identify itself as trial software when I found it on Play.

No... the web page will not answer this question. It contradicts what the app says. I am going to need someone who knows Emby Premiere licensing to answer this one.

• Like 1

Hi.  There is also an unlock app option on the last row of the home screen if you only need playback in this app.

Also, the store description does clearly state the limitations (note the bolded text):

5d35c20dbe7be_storelisting.png

• 1 month later...

I would like some clarifications in regards to app unlock. What features are unlocked  if I purchase the app unlock ? It is obviously not the same as buying a premiere subscription, so what features from the server are lifted and what limitations will still be in effect after app unlock ?

I do not need the Cinema Mode, sync or the trailers, I only need to be able to play my personal audio.video collections using Emby server and app without any limitations on features available in the app. Would I be able to do that or there'll be some features that are provided by the app but will be available only through Premiere subscription but not through app unlock ?

I would like some clarifications in regards to app unlock. What features are unlocked  if I purchase the app unlock ? It is obviously not the same as buying a premiere subscription, so what features from the server are lifted and what limitations will still be in effect after app unlock ?

I do not need the Cinema Mode, sync or the trailers, I only need to be able to play my personal audio.video collections using Emby server and app without any limitations on features available in the app. Would I be able to do that or there'll be some features that are provided by the app but will be available only through Premiere subscription but not through app unlock ?

Hi.  Please see the below for a description of each.

Thanks.

Feature Matrix

• Facepalm 1

Hi.  Please see the below for a description of each.

Thanks.

Feature Matrix

Thanks, I'd already looked at that. It only says Full Playback, that doesn't clarify anything about the features it may or may not unlock. Looks like a lazy chart.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'd already looked at that. It only says Full Playback, that doesn't clarify anything about the features it may or may not unlock. Looks like a lazy chart.

Hi.  Normal playback of media is all the unlock unlocks.  You don't get any of the other features listed under Premiere.

That is OK. I found some freeware for my Android TV that plays my movies without charging me. Consequently I have dumped the Emby application. I have decided that since I am not willing to pay a subscription price for the privilege of playing my own movies, the Emby application is no longer of interest to me.

Be well, all!

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Just a little tip for those who don't want to spend the few dollars on the app unlock. Join the Google Rewards program where they send you simple short surveys and reimburse you with Google Play credits. It is an easy way to gain a few dollars of Google Play credits for a couple minutes of your time.

Dizzy49

If you are only looking at the app, there aren't many features.  It browses and plays.  The chart lists the features and what is unlocked pretty clearly.

As for noting things as TRIAL in the Play store.  I ran into a couple nasty companies that buried the fact that it was a trial, doesn't say for how long, automatically signed you up for a subscription, and then charged you $250 3 days later.  Yup, paid $250 for a FLASHLIGHT APP!  And if I didn't notice that charge, it was a MONTHLY fee!

Google only requires that you state in the description that it is a trial or otherwise limited.  It doesn't have to be bold, it doesn't have to be it's own paragraph, or at the top.  It can be buried in the middle of a sentence, in the middle of a paragraph in the middle of a ridiculously long description.

• Like 1

Dizzy49

That is OK. I found some freeware for my Android TV that plays my movies without charging me. Consequently I have dumped the Emby application. I have decided that since I am not willing to pay a subscription price for the privilege of playing my own movies, the Emby application is no longer of interest to me.

Be well, all!

Yes, there is a lot out there.  But IMO nothing looks nearly as good, and the price is well worth it.

<rant> I think people have become so ridiculously cheap.  No one remembers the days of $60-100 software, PER VERSION!  They all want everything for FREE!  They have gotten used to the $0.99 pricing, but of course that pricing makes sense on a flashlight app, or a simple file manager.  Not something like this. </end rant>

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
sonydude

Emby is a lot more than just to browse and send the videos to your TV. It's an amazing server to keep your collection organized,  cataloged and indexed among other things.  You can also access and set your OTA recordings from your phone,  tablet or TV. That's just to mane a few. If you don't see the value on this server. What can I tell you?  

I find it an excellent value for everything you get. Keep up the excellent work. I love this server application. Well worth the money.

Edited by sonydude
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
Tengujin

Do i need to buy the unlock for all my devices?

I have several android smart TVs (in every bedroom 1) and a few smartphones where i plan to install the emby client

14 hours ago, Tengujin said:

Do i need to buy the unlock for all my devices?

I have several android smart TVs (in every bedroom 1) and a few smartphones where i plan to install the emby client

Hi.  Right now the TV and mobile apps are different apps so, you would need to unlock both of those.  But, any device logged in as the same Google user would be able to restore the unlock for that app.  So, one unlock per app per Google user account.

Or, you could just get Emby Premiere and get it all :).

• 2 years later...
SockHatAbe
On 7/22/2019 at 10:03 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  There is also an unlock app option on the last row of the home screen if you only need playback in this app.

Also, the store description does clearly state the limitations (note the bolded text):

5d35c20dbe7be_storelisting.png

I know that was an old comment but just installed on my Google TV and there was zero mention of trial on the app store page and no warning about starting a trial. Which is a HUGE strike / red flag to most people that are looking to leave Plex.

FrostByte
40 minutes ago, SockHatAbe said:

I know that was an old comment but just installed on my Google TV and there was zero mention of trial on the app store page and no warning about starting a trial. Which is a HUGE strike / red flag to most people that are looking to leave Plex.

It does mention you need to unlock or purchase premium in order to use the app.

1. On the main page it says in app purchases.  Then click more info

image.jpeg.442e968307bf262542ebf90e44e911f9.jpeg

2. Once again it says in-app purchases and since there is a (...) you have to expand the box to see all comments. 

image.thumb.jpeg.24bb5a7c243847c8aa3d2ce395303a32.jpeg

3.  In the second paragraph it mentions the app isn't free for playback.  What it doesn't mention is that you get a free trial before before you have to pay.

image.thumb.jpeg.8b48e02370ad230bf7fbe877abc699cf.jpeg

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 2

FrostByte

Oh, and just to be fair I just looked at Plex in the app store and they also say they have in-app purchases requiring you to expand the notes in order to see what they are.