3d Movie Aspect Ratio Wrong

kmed27

kmed27

Hi,

I have a few 3D movies that play play in minature on the TV.

Having looked into a bit more, I found that Emby thinks the Aspect Ratio is 32:9 instead of 16:9.

This is the info from mediainfo:

Duration : 2 h 1 min Bit rate : 15.5 Mb/s Width : 1 920 pixels Height : 1 080 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9

This is from Emby:

Title     1080p H264
Codec  H264
AVC     Yes
Profile  High
Level   41
Resolution    1920x1080
Aspect ratio   32:9
Anamorphic   No
Interlaced      No

It appears as if it is taking the side by side and thinking it is 3840 by 1080.

Is there a way to correct this?

Thanks

What Emby app are you playing with? I see gstreamer in the log which is nothing of ours.

Anyway this is direct playing, which means there might not be much we can do and the problem is in the video player of the app that you're using.

kmed27

It is the Samsung App, I don't use any third party stuff only emby.

So not sure what gstreamer is?

Samsung app version 1.0.62

Emby ver 4.1.1.0 on synology.

Is there anyway to alter it on screen? When emby app is playing Samsung greys out the picture size options.

SamES

If it’s a side by side 3D file then this is exactly what will happen. It is actually 3840 x 1080 and a 3D TV would know that it needs to spilt it in half and overlay the images to create the 3D effect. Any other TV will just display what you see.

You can try setting the quality setting during playback to a lower 1080 bitrate (<15) to force it to transcode and see what happens.

@@Luke, if we force this/3D titles to transcode, what output do we get? Will it be 1920x1080?

Edited by SamES

@@Luke, if we force this/3D titles to transcode, what output do we get? Will it be 1920x1080?

It would be based on other factors not related to this. Like the video quality setting. Just as if it were transcoding for any other reason, such as burning in subtitles.

SamES

It would be based on other factors not related to this. Like the video quality setting. Just as if it were transcoding for any other reason, such as burning in subtitles.

That's what I suspected.  Thanks

kmed27

@@Luke,

Not sure if it a co-incidence or not but after posting my emby log (it only shows one download... but?)

a russian 92.37.220.74 tried to hack into my synology nas.

Just thought I would mention it.

I downloaded the log. I would suggest making sure your server users have passwords. There are people out there who are constantly looking for open emby, plex servers, etc.

dansblackcat

This is what happens to me if  I rip my 3D Blu-ray in Full-SBS rather than Half-SBS format.

• Like 1

kmed27

This is what happens to me if  I rip my 3D Blu-ray in Full-SBS rather than Half-SBS format.

Thanks,

I havn't noticed an option for full-sbs but I'll try again and check all settings.

• 2 months later...
kmed27

Hi @@Luke,

I have done more new 3D movies, all in the same way.

Out of 5, 2 show in the wrong size on screen.

I have been pulling my hair out trying to spot anything different but cannot.

I decided to re-install Plex on my synology and TV  to see if it is the way I created them or somthing BUT found that they all play correctly (as well as the ones that I originally had the problem with) at the proper size and they auto switch the TV to 3D as well.

Is there anything that can be done to find out why it doesn't work on Emby?

I used direct play on everything.

SamES

@@SamES It's a Samsung: EU65HU8500 running Tizen 1.0.66

Ok, so I expect you have a Samsung Evolution kit installed to run the Tizen apps, correct?

And your expectation is to play 3D movies in 3D, or to play them as a 2D movie with the correct aspect ratio (for 2D), correct?

kmed27

Hi SamES,

Yes it's playing 3D movies in 3D.

I have "sort of" got used to having to manually switch 3D as you previously said that you cannot get it to work, even after contacting Samsung.

But to have the size wrong as well is making it unusable/unwatchable.

There is no way in Emby to change the size / aspect to allow me to manually correct it either.

Also when playing through Emby, the options on Samsung menu for size etc are greyed out, so cannot do it there.

I don't see how Plex can handle both of these (switching and size) with no problem at all yet Emby struggles with both.

SamES

Hi, good to hear that switching manually is working. We should definitely be able to fix the aspect ratio issue. Can you please send me the media info from the details screen for one 3D movie with the wrong aspect ratio, and one that plays with the correct ratio.

A photo of each showing how it appears on screen would also be perfect.

kmed27

Hi

I have tried investigating more and noticed that some 3D movies that used to be fine are no longer showing correctly.

I think I may have found the problem???? not sure though!

I believe Emby is decoding the information incorrectly.

I found that the ones that were showing wrong had the side-by-side flag set and Emby for some reason is doubling the aspect ratio.

Here's some media info from one of my older movies picked at random that has the flag set, the aspect ratio is 1.905 or 40/21.

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
MultiView_Count : 2
MultiView_Layout : Side by Side (left eye first)
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 2 h 34 min
Bit rate : 11.5 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 008 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 1.905
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.248
Stream size : 12.4 GiB (95%)
Writing library : x264 core 152 r2851 ba24899
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=24 / lookahead_threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=11504 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / frame-packing=3 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=3:0.80
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

This is the media info from Emby:

Video
Title 1080p H264
Codec H264
AVC Yes
Profile High
Level 41
Resolution 1920x1008
Aspect ratio 80:21
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.976
Bitrate 12,143 kbps
Colour space bt709
Bit depth 8 bit
Pixel format yuv420p
Ref frames 1
NAL 4

As you can see the aspect ratio in Emby is twice what it should be! 80/21 not 40/21.

I then remove the flag from the video and Emby then shows the aspect ratio correctly:

Video
Title 1080p H264
Codec H264
AVC Yes
Profile High
Level 41
Resolution 1920x1008
Aspect ratio 40:21
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.976
Bitrate 12,143 kbps
Colour space bt709
Bit depth 8 bit
Pixel format yuv420p
Ref frames 1
NAL 4

So, it looks like Emby is miss-interpreting the information and doubling it if the flag is set and setting the wrong aspect ratio causing it to display at half the correct size.

SamES

OK, thanks I think you might be on to it.  Give me a few days to confirm the best way to resolve this in the client.

SamES

Can you please try refreshing all metadata for both items (correct and incorrect aspect ratio) as this will force the server to redetect the aspect ratio, just in case the server method has changed since these items were added. You can do this from the ‘...’ menu on the details page. Then try them both again and let me know if it changes either of them