Selective VPN for Emby

Pseudomax

Pseudomax

Hi

I have an HTPC that drives all the media in my home. It is connected to a QNAP NAS where the media is stored. I try to run most apps behind a VPN for a variety of reasons, but that then causes some problems with streaming for example BBC iPlayer (which does not work if it detects a VPN is switched on).

I have added a second NIC as I thought I might be able to bind the traffic of one app to one and another to the other and then select the IP of the NIC I want to protect via an OpenVPN client on the router.

However, having asked the question on AskUbuntu I did not receive any suitable answer, and therefore I am wondering if there is a way that I can do this within Emby itself?

Suggestions welcome ...

chowbok

Your question is a little unclear. Do you want to bind Emby specifically to the VPN'd IP? That's easy to do, in advanced settings. Or do you want to put in VPN settings directly in Emby? That's not possible, and I wouldn't want to see it added as it's pretty out-of-scope and there's limited developer time. Or am I completely misunderstanding your question?

Pseudomax

Hi

No, I think you covered the questions I had pretty well...

I was wanting to know the best way to secure all network traffic to and from Emby... so whether it is streaming when I travel and connecting remotely, or when using external content sources (that I pay for) to stream locally or remotely?

I am not particularly tech knowledgeable (which should be obvious from the post) but wanting to know what the best way to do this? I assume that if I bind Emby to one IP then all traffic in and out will travel only via that NIC? If that is the case then that would be my solution ... please let me know specifically what setting I would need to change and bind Emby to?

Thanks

chowbok

I assume that if I bind Emby to one IP then all traffic in and out will travel only via that NIC? If that is the case then that would be my solution ... please let me know specifically what setting I would need to change and bind Emby to?

Yes, this is exactly what you want, then. Go in the server settings, under "Expert", and then select "Advanced". Put your VPN'd IP in the box labeled "Bind to local network address", then restart the server. It should then do everything remotely over that VPN, assuming your router is configured correctly.