29 replies to this topic

#21 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5459 posts
  • Local time: 01:31 AM

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:22 PM

If you rename the device either on the server or in the Roku device settings, either of those two should work. Renaming on the server will override everything. Can you confirm?

@Happy2Play can you reproduce?

That is just it. You don't rename in the Roku device settings. You login to http://my.roku.com with your username and password that you use for your Roku. Now rename them here on the Roku website. Now check for updates with the Roku you just renamed. It should adopt this new name now inside the Emby Roku app. This is same behavior that Blue Neon Night was doing.

image.png

Edited by speechles, 18 September 2019 - 04:24 PM.

#22 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1043 posts
  • Local time: 06:31 PM

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

I have done this for all my controlled devices, but I have a few remote roku’s I am not in control of. They just name for example “lounge” hence I could have multiple with same names. The rename device in the Emby server is needed therefore but it is just not working right when you run standard and beta. You end up with roku devised name in one and Emby devised name on the other.

#23 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 15726 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:13 PM

I have done this for all my controlled devices, but I have a few remote roku’s I am not in control of. They just name for example “lounge” hence I could have multiple with same names. The rename device in the Emby server is needed therefore but it is just not working right when you run standard and beta. You end up with roku devised name in one and Emby devised name on the other.

Standard and Beta what apps? Servers?  I know I haven't been able to replicate what you are seeing.

Edited by Happy2Play, 18 September 2019 - 08:18 PM.

#24 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1043 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:29 PM

I’m not at home now, but I believe I may have posted this above, inc scan shots, showing the Emby releases, I assume later is the beta. I have now removed all device renames. I have emailed the remote Emby roku users to rename their devices to a name of my choosing or I will delete their Emby user - hence an incentive to do it!!!!. I Spent too much time on this thing that is really a non issue for me as I reported above, Emby is an amazing thing, speechless’s tirelessness in the roku support/enhancements is fantastic and this little thing that may or may not be affecting only me is a waste of their resources when they can be better utilised elsewhere.

#25 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5459 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

I’m not at home now, but I believe I may have posted this above, inc scan shots, showing the Emby releases, I assume later is the beta. I have now removed all device renames. I have emailed the remote Emby roku users to rename their devices to a name of my choosing or I will delete their Emby user - hence an incentive to do it!!!!. I Spent too much time on this thing that is really a non issue for me as I reported above, Emby is an amazing thing, speechless’s tirelessness in the roku support/enhancements is fantastic and this little thing that may or may not be affecting only me is a waste of their resources when they can be better utilised elsewhere.

The reason we use the Roku device names is because this is what every single other Roku application does. Roku even makes it a point to tell developers to use that name in their application code when needing a friendly name for the device. We used to allow you to alter the name "in application" too. In the same way Blue Neon Night lets you rename either on Roku.com or through the Roku app.

But you would have the same problem you do as now. You are dependent on your users with those Roku to rename their Roku still. 

The fact the server lets you override this "device name" is a convenience. It isn't actually using the name when communicate with the device as you have seen. It still uses the standard device name in some places.

The only real way to get this correct is as you are doing now. Have the users with their Roku name their devices accordingly.

Also.. thanks for the pats on the back. I want everybody happy. I also love Roku and all its great and horrible things it does. It keeps me curious and I love the fact Roku keeps churning out new devices with updated features. They aren't sitting on their laurels happy with the present device platforms they have. They are always continually refreshing their lineup. This means I am going to be getting new toys to play with and they are getting better and better. I love the future. ^_^

Edited by speechles, 19 September 2019 - 10:15 AM.

#26 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138075 posts
  • Local time: 04:31 AM

Posted 20 September 2019 - 01:50 AM

Standard and Beta what apps? Servers?  I know I haven't been able to replicate what you are seeing.

@Happy2Play so you are seeing the Roku customized name in Emby Server?

#27 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 15726 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:56 AM

@Happy2Play so you are seeing the Roku customized name in Emby Server?

Yes, I see the name I set via my Roku account.  If I customize via the Dashboard-Devices I see that customization instead of my Roku name.  So for me it is working as expected.

Only issue is device name with apostrophe directly in the device name don't appear right in Active Devices or Devices as discussed in the other topic.  Devices custom names do correct the issue on those location but that forces users to apply custom name to fix the issue.

#28 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1043 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:33 AM

Last time posting on this - as fed up of running back up and down stairs for what I have said is a non issue for me as I am removing all renamed devices at the emby level. 

I dont know why its working for others and not me. 

I made sure all devices removed, then logged on as one (into the beta app), I then came back downstairs and renamed it, then I removed all references to the devices again, then went up and logged into the normal app, then out and then into the beta app, back downstairs and you can see the two devices shown, and the two active devices also shown below show one of each.

Please see the names below (and note versions) :

5d848dfcef0f8_Capture1.jpg

And below active devices :

5d848e1568448_Capture2.jpg

#29 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5459 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

Try delete the devices in the devices tab on your Emby server. Delete all the Roku ones. Don't worry they all get recreated once a user re-Auths. After that the store and beta apps should start using the same device names hopefully. This is how I solved the same problem with BNN.

Edited by speechles, 20 September 2019 - 11:52 AM.

#30 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138075 posts
  • Local time: 04:31 AM

Posted 20 September 2019 - 01:01 PM

Yes, I see the name I set via my Roku account.  If I customize via the Dashboard-Devices I see that customization instead of my Roku name.  So for me it is working as expected.

Ok yes, this is what should be happening. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users