#81 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 688 posts
  • Local time: 09:19 PM
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

@ebr that same exact fix you used to speed up the loading of the poster grid can be used across the board in other spots to speed up rows loading. Nice trick. I applied it all over to get that boost. I will share too. Just making sure no ill effects from it.

I can get a fully populated homescreen now within 5 seconds. Before this was over 10 seconds. :)

Although I cannot reliably reproduce it I sometimes get a very slow entry into the opening screen when entering Emby on my Rokus. That is the list of libraries will load and show but "Next Up" and "Continue Watching" will not show and if I try to enter a library it takes a long time to open the library and show the content.

I wonder if it is possible that whatever bottleneck my Rokus sometimes encounter will be avoided by the "fix" you have implemented?

The problem is, as I said, both unpredictable and VERY intermittent and the only thing I have verified about it is that it is not directly related to any chronic problems on my server or network. However I cannot say for sure that there is not some very intermittent communication issue on my network but this happens on both my Roku Ultras and it does not ever happen on my Shield or on my Fire TV. All devices are connected wired.

I have not reported this as a bug because it is so intermittent and because I cannot "cause" it to happen. I will monitor for recurrences and, if it does continue and I can narrow it down, I will report more formally.

BTW: The app does seem much "snappier" over each of the last few updates.

I know I seem to complain a lot and I apologize for the continued intrusion but I use the Roku app a lot and depend on it during the times I am unable to get around. Therefore it is important to me and I am sensitive to any perceived faults or flaws.

Lastly: When are you going to actually implement the "Mental interface" where all I have to do is think about what I want to watch and my Roku fetches and plays it? That will eliminate all those pesky and exhaustive remote button presses. Also the "Get me a beer" and "Order Pizza" features still do not work.

#82 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5001 posts
  • Local time: 06:19 PM

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:46 PM

The areas to improve really are the backdrops. If these move they add dramatic movement. The entire backdrop moves. If we get there then we could possibly animate many things. I wondered what it would look like if Emby tried to play with you like a child would. What if it made things like artwork "dance" and play with you. What if the backdrop wasn't so dark and instead was visible edge-to-edge, bounced around, zoomed in and out and basically tried to make you experience movement. Like it was putting on a show for you with all this artwork. A well choreographed display of dancing artwork. It can be amazing. The proof-of-concept DEMO is sweet and a possible future.

This is the major area where I see the app can be improved. It is too dark. We do not make good use of backdrops since the bottom half is so dark you can't even see it. The opacity levels in the app are far too aggressive. We are destroying the color in the backdrops and the life these have.

I am working with the "team" to give them an idea how this can be brighter and more cheerful. Not so much doom and gloom. A lighter shade of opacity and more color. More movement. More life.

I want the app to have a feeling of "fun" when you use it. Not just boring and looks simple.

The problem you mention with "continue watching" and "next up" may be alleviated by the changes I made to speed up row loading. But at the same time they may not. It depends entirely on how quickly the server can pull in your DB and read the fields to dispatch to the Roku. The size of your DB matters as much as the amount of RAM in your server PC. When the DB grows to a size larger than 1GB you may experience that issue as the "pagefile" becomes involved more than likely. That "pagefile" holds the shadow copy of RAM that references the DB. So at times this is what slows mine down. My RAM is having to pull in the page-file when reference the DB and this slows everything down. I simply kill Emby process and restart it. This clears it from using a "pagefile" on disk and gets it all back in RAM. Most issues people have with speed of loading is entirely caused by the memory in their Emby server not being enough.

But we are working to get you a better Roku app in line with every other app. Along the way I want the team to see everything that could be in the cards. This is why the future will be good. You will see amazing things. It is a process. :)

Edited by speechles, 01 August 2019 - 12:54 PM.

#83 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 688 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:06 PM

I want the app to have a feeling of "fun" when you use it. Not just boring and looks simple.

But "fun" is not something I want to introduce into my life at this point. :P ;) :lol: :rolleyes: The idea is so completely alien that it is almost impossible to imagine. It also complicates an otherwise simple existence.

Next thing you know you will have the Roku app restore my ability to do back-flips when excited. And then the sky is the only limit. And the Roku app might drive me mad. Remember...

From - The Invisible Man:

All right, you fools. You've brought it on yourselves! Everything would have come right if you'd only left me alone. You've driven me near madness with your peering through the keyholes and gaping through the curtains. And now you'll suffer for it! You're crazy to know who I am, aren't you? All right! I'll show you! Here's one for you, and one for you. I'll show you who I am and what I am. ”

#84 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5001 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:42 PM

When the sky is the only limit the universe becomes possible. Ever seen a solar flare before? @ebr LOL I love Emby that much.. solar flare..lol (inside joke)

But yes. On the Roku there is no real "upper limit" to how creative anyone can be compared to other devices. Roku embraces the same framework as building for Unity game engine. The OpenGL rendering for the Roku XML is eerily similar so much to building for Unity. I mean DNA close. You would swear they were twins. This is why most of this is so fun and the Roku is quite able. We could be going there big time. But this is just future talk. Nothing today. Don't get worried. The same Emby you know and love isn't going anywhere. There is just several versions of possible futures and I like seeing the possibilities.

There is nothing complicated about the changes. It makes it fun. All it adds is the missing "life" to let you know the app knows you are watching it. I went over the top to prove that Emby can be Pandora, Netflix, Youtube, Spotify, Etc and take the best from all and wrap it up into a package and make it look like a Disney Movie. Present it like a DVD/Bluray menu and let the world drool. That is the inevitable outcome to this. The only possible forward move. Eventually... time will get us there. The future looks bright. No more dark opacity. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles, 01 August 2019 - 02:46 PM.

#85 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5001 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:09 PM

I wonder if it is possible that whatever bottleneck my Rokus sometimes encounter will be avoided by the "fix" you have implemented?

Wonder no longer.. lol

Reference: Fix #558: [BaseRowList] Speed up row loading

Once Eric adds this to the app it will certainly speed up things. If you have tons of items in every row (more than 100) it may not give much of a speed boost but for less than that it will have a significant impact. For most users it will have a significant (100%+) speed boost to how quickly the rows load on each screen since we always limit these to 30 or so with a [show more]. On those rows you will have near immediate responses. The homescreen will load everything all rows in under 5 seconds. Before this was well over 10.

All credit to Eric @ebr for this fix. I simply applied his method of speed-up done to the poster grid to the rows. Now I will find other areas we can improve using this method. Faster is better.

Edited by speechles, 01 August 2019 - 05:34 PM.

• skidmarks likes this

#86 Gilgamesh_48 OFFLINE  

Gilgamesh_48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 688 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

Wonder no longer.. lol

Reference: Fix #558: [BaseRowList] Speed up row loading

Once Eric adds this to the app it will certainly speed up things. If you have tons of items in every row (more than 100) it may not give much of a speed boost but for less than that it will have a significant impact. For most users it will have a significant (100%+) speed boost to how quickly the rows load on each screen.

Good news!

I have no rows with more than 20 or so items in them, and that is"Next up", so I will, I hope, receive maximum benefit from the fix. On my opening screen I have everything except "Libraries," "Next up" and "Continue watching" turned off.

Thanks for the fix.

#87 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5001 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

Good news!

I have no rows with more than 20 or so items in them, and that is"Next up", so I will, I hope, receive maximum benefit from the fix. On my opening screen I have everything except "Libraries," "Next up" and "Continue watching" turned off.

Thanks for the fix.

It should be on the order of 5x (500%) faster for 20 items. The logic before was always creating 100 children. The children not used are blanks and not given nodes but they exist and are created. That creation time for needless children is what was the time waster. So the logic now knows how many children you have in the node and if that is over 100 clips at 100 otherwise requests the exact amount of children be created for the row. No needless children no time waste. I did not realize it was this expensive to create needless nodes. Now that I know this we can go around curbing this just like I have in the BaseRowList and make this speed boost every time we pull children nodes and do it exactly so it isn't an expensive time waste. Once again thanks @ebr. :^)

Edited by speechles, 01 August 2019 - 05:42 PM.

#88 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46041 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:47 AM

Good news!

Thanks for the fix.

I suspect your issue is related to determining Next Up on the server and any changes we've made in the app will have no effect - but I guess we'll see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users