Latest AppleTV app - Sort issues

Hoochee
Go to solution Solved by corey,

Hoochee

The latest Emby app version updated yesterday on my Apple TV 4K running iOS 12.4.  I'm happy to see the option to sort by Date Played; however, it's not working. I can select to Sort by Date Played, then by Ascending or Descending, but those don't  have the expected outcome. I can;t tell what order is being used but selecting Ascending vs Descending does change the display order.

Also, when I select either Ascending or Descending and the screen refreshes with whatever order is being used, I'm put at the bottom of all the media titles. I swipe UP to get to the top but the screen doesn't scroll, that is until I swipe DOWN once then the screen scrolls up. To be clear, I can't scroll up until I swipe down once then the screen scrolls up as though I just swiped up.

I also had some initial issues with playback but after an app and Apple TV reboot that seems to have worked itself out.

Hoochee

Within Libraries - I have 5 and it functions the same within them all.

Edited by Hoochee

corey

Within Libraries - I have 5 and it functions the same within them all.

As far as sorting is concerned I tested sorting by date played ascending and descending without issue in my movies library.

The only way I can likely troubleshoot this is to have access to your server. Is that something you’d be willing to grant?

Hoochee

@@Luke - Interesting thing with the web app. While I waited for the functionality in Apple TV I had occasionally checked the web app and Date Played sort seemed to be correct. However, after you asked I wanted to verify and saw it's not correct, so I marked a couple of files as Played and they moved to the "front" of the media thumbnails (Sort by Date Played>Descending).

I re-checked the Apple TV sort results and was apparently being dense when trying to figure out what order it's using because I now realize it's using alpha of either A-Z (Ascending) or Z-A (Descending), despite Sort by being set as Date Played. Looks like Name and Date Added sort correctly. I didn't check the other options.

Seemingly related - I set up a Roku Ultra this morning and find a very similar issue there, the difference is that when I select Date Played and Ascending or Descending there is no change in the media order, it always sorts alpha A-Z.

@@corey to access the server you would need the Remote (WAN) access URL? I have a couple other questions so may be best to take those to PM?

Edited by Hoochee

corey

@@corey to access the server you would need the Remote (WAN) access URL? I have a couple other questions so may be best to take those to PM?

A PM is fine. As @@Luke has mentioned above the specific screens you were trying to sort on is critical.

Hoochee

Accept my apologies if I'm missing what you're after...From the Home screen I click on a [Library], in that Library are Play All, Shuffle, and Sort by options, Filter and the ellipses with View by and Show. In the sort menu I select Sort by Date Played, then in the sub menu I select either Ascending or Descending

Edited by Hoochee

corey

Accept my apologies if I'm missing what you're after...From the Home screen I click on a [Library], in that Library are Play All, Shuffle, and Sort by options, Filter and the ellipses with View by and Show. In the sort menu I select Sort by Date Played, then in the sub menu I select either Ascending or Descending

Which library? All libraries? As I mentioned before I tested on the movies library and I wasn't able to repeat this.

Hoochee

@@corey looks like it's happening only within TV shows. It's working correctly within libraries for content type Movies and Music (last played shows in Recently Played row)

corey

@@corey looks like it's happening only within TV shows. It's working correctly within libraries for content type Movies and Music (last played shows in Recently Played row)

Perfect! I think I found the issue there and it'll be fixed in the next release.

• Like 2

Seemingly related - I set up a Roku Ultra this morning and find a very similar issue there, the difference is that when I select Date Played and Ascending or Descending there is no change in the media order, it always sorts alpha A-Z.

This was after going to "genres" and picking a sub genre? If so that will be corrected in the next beta for Roku.

Otherwise can you be more specific where the Roku is misbehave. Can you start a new thread as not to create "noise" in this one? Thanks. :)

Hoochee

@@speechles I will start a new thread under Roku. I noted it here since I was seeing a very similar issue to the Apple TV.

@@corey I also noticed that in both the TV shows and Movies content type libraries the Show Year doesn't add the Year to the media thumbnails. Steps: Home>[library]>ellipses>Show Title>Save Settings (or just go back to the library screen). I can see extra space added between the thumbnails but the Year isn't visible. This doesn't fit with my original topic title so I can start a new thread, if needed.

corey

@@corey I also noticed that in both the TV shows and Movies content type libraries the Show Year doesn't add the Year to the media thumbnails. Steps: Home>[library]>ellipses>Show Title>Save Settings (or just go back to the library screen). I can see extra space added between the thumbnails but the Year isn't visible. This doesn't fit with my original topic title so I can start a new thread, if needed.

I'll double check this and get back to you.

corey

@@Hoochee -- I double checked both the Movies and TV libraries on tvOS 12.2 and 13 and I wasn't able to replicate this in my setup. I was able to show and hide the year successfully. There's a chance that there's missing metadata in your setup that would prevent this from displaying on Apple TV. How does it compare to the web app?

Hoochee

@@Hoochee -- I double checked both the Movies and TV libraries on tvOS 12.2 and 13 and I wasn't able to replicate this in my setup. I was able to show and hide the year successfully. There's a chance that there's missing metadata in your setup that would prevent this from displaying on Apple TV. How does it compare to the web app?

web app shows dates but I refreshed all meta data for one of the libraries, but still no dates in the Home screen of TV or Movie libraries. You tested 12.2 and 13 but I was running 12.3 at the time. I enrolled one of my Apple TVs in the beta program so now on 13 but same result - no dates. I've also reset the settings, and unchecked and re-checked the Show Dates option, but no change with either of those actions.

Senna

I was able to show and hide the year successfully.

This seems to be Emby Server revision related @@Luke.

See different results with different Emby Server revisions regarding year shown in Movies tab (listing not detail view). Latest beta server (4.2.0.33) does NOT show years, older one does show years, but ALSO shows rating.

Web app always shows ONLY years with both Emby Servers revisions.

Didn't we had a setting in Apple TV app to SHOW or NOT SHOW the ratings in Movies tab (listing not detail view) in the past ?

Can't find it anymore or did it always do ratings next to year on the Apple TV @@ebr ?

Didn't we had a setting in Apple TV app to SHOW or NOT SHOW the ratings in Movies tab (listing not detail view) in the past ?

Can't find it anymore or did it always do ratings next to year on the Apple TV @@ebr ?

We've always shown the ratings.

This seems to be Emby Server revision related @@Luke.

See different results with different Emby Server revisions regarding year shown in Movies tab (listing not detail view). Latest beta server (4.2.0.33) does NOT show years, older one does show years, but ALSO shows rating.

Web app always shows ONLY years with both Emby Servers revisions.

Corey - sounds like the query is missing the new optional fields of ProductionYear (and perhaps PremiereDate).

corey

Corey - sounds like the query is missing the new optional fields of ProductionYear (and perhaps PremiereDate).

That might explain it then. I’ll take a look.

• Solution
corey

@@Hoochee --

We released an update this morning that should resolve the Year display issues as well as the sorting issues you reported here.

• Like 1

Senna

We released an update this morning that should resolve the Year display issues

Still issues with Year/Rating not shown with for example, the following titles:

• Secrets in the Sky: The Untold Story of Skunk Works (TheMovieDb Id:607847)
  • Ice on Fire (TheMovieDb Id:599379)

Is it because of the app language settings combined with the preferred metadata provider language/country settings, which for above titles, is downloaded in an other language, than the language that is set as preferred ?

Or has the above nothing to do with it ?

corey
Is it because of the app language settings combined with the preferred metadata provider language/country settings, which for above titles, is downloaded in an other language, than the language that is set as preferred ?

Or has the above nothing to do with it ?

That's certainly a possibility.

Senna

That's certainly a possibility.

But it isn’t I just see. Changed Apple TV language to English and same problem that year/rating isn’t shown for titles mentioned earlier.

Could you check with dummy files for above titles and add those to your library ?