MakeMKV vs. DVDfab vs. ByteCopy vs. HandBrake

Guest ApexPredator

Best MKV Software?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What MKV software do you recommend?

buddyweiser

I only have a 4th Gen Intel pentium, and I don't think it supports quick sync, but I do have a Cuda gpu, does handbrake support Cuda acceleration?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

steelman1991

It does look worth trying this again. The problem I always had was determining what settings to use in handbrake, there are a myriad of options and very little explanation for the layman. I just wanted a "best" setting but you seem to have to fiddle with it for every source type. This seems to have gone now from your reports

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 'myriad' of options remain and its up to each individual to decide how much they need or want to use them. I don't have issues with the default settings, using 'high profile', as I said earlier, the only changes I make is to include 'forced subtitles' where necessary, or to change the 'audio' options (note there is no TrueHD passthrough - the options are downmix to DD, or re-encode to FLAC - in mkv container only). Changes like that can add time to the encode, so it seems does encoding VC1 streams, though nothing excessive.

Just a quick FYI - this is purely for 'i' series encoding - apparently AMD and Nvidia cards have their own hardware encoder but they don't offer them for free so Handbrake can't use them

Edited by steelman1991

steelman1991

No - most are MPEG-4 AVC only the occasional one is VC-1 (standard based on Microsoft's Windows Media Video (WMV) technology)

Wow, it is really fast and the resulting file is very good.  Took about an hour for mine (i5) but I wasn't sitting there watching it so +- 15 minutes is possible.  I used AC3 Passthrough and AAC Dolby Pro Logic II and they play fine on my extenders.  it is my understanding that this is the highest quality audio on can get on an extender compatible format but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

buddyweiser

Looks like I'm going to have to admit that I'm wrong. I've been known to make mistakes every once in a while. :)  I figured out why my encodes were still taking over an hour even while I had Intel QSV selected. 

Let me start off by telling you my setup in regards to video cards. I've got two ATI 6850 cards SLI and Intel HD graphics onboard. Initially Handbrake didn't see my Intel graphic chip because my BIOS had it disabled. So I enabled it and viola Handbrake gave me the H.264 Intel QSV option.  So I figured I was done with configuring my hardware. Apparently I wasn't.

After attempting several encodes, after fiddling with Handbrake trying to figure out how to speed things up. and after the name calling of those claiming fast encode times previously in this thread, I did a little more research on how to utilize Intel QuickSync within Handbrake.  Found out that there was a little more I needed to do with my hardware before I'd start to have success. By following this quick guide that ensured that Intel QuickSync was enabled ... particularly steps 5-9, I now have Handbrake using Intel QuickSync to encode Fool's Gold from 1920x1080 to 1280x720p with 4000 kpbs and it's taking just a little over 30 minutes.

Humble pie has been served, and it doesn't taste too horrible, since I figured it out on my own.  I apologize for jumping the gun on saying that encoding with QSV lessened encode times as B.S. 

After using this very helpful guide, I have verified that my Pentium G3220 does support QSV and I have it enabled in bios and under the screen resolution, however I am not seeing the option to encode with QSV using handbrake. Are there any steps I am missing?

buddyweiser

Captain Obvious here, but did you download a nightly build of Handbrake?

No, I didn't think I needed it, I read a forum that stated Intel QSV was in most current builds of handbrake. It also doesn't work in DVDFAB either...

Edited by buddyweiser

The only thing I read is that it was in the beta versions, but I don't really know.  I downloaded the nightly and it was significantly different than the older version (not very old) that I had.  The interface and options were slightly different.  I'd give that a go if you did the little tutorial already.  I got it done and I'm an idiot.

buddyweiser

The only thing I read is that it was in the beta versions, but I don't really know.  I downloaded the nightly and it was significantly different than the older version (not very old) that I had.  The interface and options were slightly different.  I'd give that a go if you did the little tutorial already.  I got it done and I'm an idiot.

Nightly build seems to have done it! Encoding is now almost 10 times faster than previously! :D Though, I don't know why it doesnt let me use QSV in dvdfab still :unsure: Well it looks like I won't be using it anymore anyway lol.

Spaceboy

The 'myriad' of options remain and its up to each individual to decide how much they need or want to use them. I don't have issues with the default settings, using 'high profile', as I said earlier, the only changes I make is to include 'forced subtitles' where necessary, or to change the 'audio' options (note there is no TrueHD passthrough - the options are downmix to DD, or re-encode to FLAC - in mkv container only). Changes like that can add time to the encode, so it seems does encoding VC1 streams, though nothing excessive.

Just a quick FYI - this is purely for 'i' series encoding - apparently AMD and Nvidia cards have their own hardware encoder but they don't offer them for free so Handbrake can't use them

Doesn't seem to be any support for dts audio either. I'm not down mixing anything and I don't like the sound of re encoding to flac either. Taking the full rip means I have everything, all audio tracks and subtitles.

steelman1991

Sure there is - see the dropdown below.

2b1SwPA.png

What is wrong with FLAC (it's the same track, just in a different container - oh and of course your AV Receiver lights won't light up)

Edited by steelman1991

Deathsquirrel

Did a bit of testing with QSV encoding compared to software h264 in handbrake.  I used a film with a fairly grainy picture.  My usual profile is handbrake high-profile with the constant quality slider set to 20.  In software mode I'll set the x64 tuning dropdown to film or animation as appropriate to the source, and set the x264 preset to Very Slow to shrink the file a bit.  I include the best quality track I can in passthrough and an AAC encoded copy of the same track with the appropriate channel count.  In QSV mode those latter two settings go away so I just used the constant quality slider at 20.

The movie I tested was The War Wagon.  In both cases the resulting file was 11GB.  The picture in both was very good but it was just a tiny bit softer in the QSV encoding if you looked VERY closely when right up near the screen.  I tested on a 32 inch screen at about 2 feet to spot the differences.

The difference that you would really notice in day to day use was the time.  The software encodes run 6-15 hours with these settings.  For an older film like this it's usually at the higher end.  The QSV encode on an i5-3570 took under 45 minutes.

Whether or not the time and space saving is worth the lost quality is up to you but I seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference between the two at normal TV viewing distances.

Spaceboy

Yeah I'm still having trouble. The PC I'm trying to run this on is headless so I'm not sure I can use QSR. it's saying 70 mins to convert a 2hr film. I have an i7 laptop so I'll try on that

The problem wasn't flac it was the word re-encoding. That will mean a loss in quality

Spaceboy

So is it re-encoding or not? Can't get it to work on the laptop either. I think this has had all the time I'm going to give to it

steelman1991

Of course it is - anything that isn't 'passthrough' has to be encoded. But its a bit exact copy, only wrapped up in a different container and produces the exact same output as DTS-HD/True HD.

And can't think why using a 'headless' PC would not allow the use of QSV encoding. Are you choosing the correct video encoding setting from the drop-down menu?

PKuK86H.png

Time to encode is clearly dependant on what settings you are using - lets see what you're actually doing with the encode, rather than just throwing numbers about. Is it a VC-1 encoded file - as I stated previously, they can take considerably longer than an AVC encoded movie.

Edited by steelman1991

• 7 months later...
emma24xia

MP4 cannot hold different subtitles. That is why I use MKV.

Totally agree, and this is why I use ByteCopy, this one is advertised to be able to backup Blu-ray and DVD to MKV without quality loss, and multiple audio and subtitles are preserved so I can freely swith language during playback.

• 3 months later...
FannieJane
Compare: MakeMKV vs. DVDfab vs. ByteCopy vs. HandBrake

MakeMKV and ByteCopy are good for lossless Blu-ray and DVD backup, while DVDfab and HandBrake focuses on Blu-ray trans-coding to portable devices like iPad, iPhone, etc. 

Q: Which Blu-ray ripper keeps Blu-ray movie structure (including chapters)? 

A: MakeMKV and ByteCopy 

Q: Which Blu-ray ripper keeps multiple audio tracks and subtitles? 

A: MakeMKV and ByteCopy 

Q: What about the ripping speed of the three Blu-ray Rippers? 

A: MakeMKV = ByteCopy (lossless copy) > DVDfab > HandBrake

Q: Which en-decodes Blu-ray with NVIDIA’s CUDA support (GPU computing)? 

A: ByteCopy and DVDfab (Tip: CUDA works only when exporting H.264 encoded videos) 

Q: Which does better on Blu-ray hacking/cracking? 

Not a Blu-ray ripper is able to crack all the Blu-ray Discs as decryption always falls behind encryption. So it’s a question of upgrade and tech support. All the three updates their software along with the come up of new BD+ keys. MakeMKV, HandBrake ByteCopy charge free for updates while DVDfab asks you pay extra money for the updates. 

steelman1991

Several things wrong here

MakeMKV does not retain Blu-ray movie structure - it rips to an mkv file - or several mkv files, depending on the users need for anything other than the main movie. (Thought the name might have been quite a giveaway there)

MakeMKV is free while the software remains in beta (though it can be purchased) - activation codes are released on a regular cycle.

Edited by steelman1991

AdrianW

Very first post by FannieJane to a thread that has been dead for four months. Looks like advertising for ByteCopy disguised as an informational post.

• Like 1

CBers

Very first post by FannieJane to a thread that has been dead for four months. Looks like advertising for ByteCopy disguised as an informational post.

Possibly, but no links or anything supplied.

Latchmor

Yeah a quick google for FannieJane and ByteCopy finds various posts on various sites promoting ByteCopy but they are full of lnks, pics etc.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Heh, I guess I wasn't the only one who found it funny that his post was slanted (half truths) and he has only 1 post.

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1