MakeMKV vs. DVDfab vs. ByteCopy vs. HandBrake

Guest ApexPredator

Best MKV Software?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What MKV software do you recommend?

steelman1991

Previously chose MakeMKV as my weapon of choice. However having just stumbled across a thread over at AVS forums, I may have to change my mind and opt for Handbrake. Using Intel Quick Sync (and a nightly build of Handbrake), I've just encoded a fully 1:1 ripped episode of Band Of Brothers from a 20.2 GB file to a 5.62 GB file (with full DTS-MA audio track), in 9 minutes and I really cannot find fault with the quality (one of my bug bears and the reason why I chose full 1:1 rips in the past).

For anyone with an i series CPU and limited budget to throw money at HDD's, I think encoding is now a no-brainer

• Like 1

Spaceboy

With the low price of hard disk storage I would respectfully disagree. I never encode, everything is ripped in full quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

steelman1991

Until this morning I would have heartily agreed, but what I have just seen with my own eyes is nothing short of remarkable- on a 65" plasma (Panasonic 65VT30). Seriously, even if only out of curiosity (because that's what I was) if you have an 'i' series chip - test it for yourself, it will only take about 10-15 minutes.

You clearly don't have a limited budget, but for those who have (even though storage is relatively cheap) its a no-brainer.

I don't encode either - everything is in 1:1 rips - though I may just change my mind on the basis of this little experiment.

Edited by steelman1991

Where did you find the instructions to do it with Quick Sync?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

steelman1991

Where did you find the instructions to do it with Quick Sync?

Use a nightly build - think they are the only ones to support it - then on the video tab choose H.264 (Intel QSV). I left everything at default levels with the exception of changing to HD Audio passthrough, from aac downmix.

Spaceboy

I have tried encoding in the past, with handbrake. But I was always disappointed with the results, handbrake has always been very confusing with specific settings required for almost all source types.

It sounds like they've hit on a better setup from what you are saying but I think I'm always going to prioritise quality and ease over what is a relatively small saving. You've cut the file by 15gb, well a 4tb hard disk costs £130 in the uk, so that means you've saved 50p by encoding the file. Call that $0.75 in the US. Plus if you've splashed out on a i chip then it doesn't suggest you're strapped for cash either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steelman1991

Thankfully I am lucky enough not to be strapped for cash, but for those who are, and already have an 'i' series chip then the improvement would be worth considering. Oh and on the basis of 50p per file saving mirrored over the rest of the disc the saving suddenly becomes £75.00. Not a bad return in anyone's book - even yours.

Spaceboy

Even for a £75 saving then I still offset my time and quality against that.

I agree your argument stacks up though, just not for me

roberthleeii

Previously chose MakeMKV as my weapon of choice. However having just stumbled across a thread over at AVS forums, I may have to change my mind and opt for Handbrake. Using Intel Quick Sync (and a nightly build of Handbrake), I've just encoded a fully 1:1 ripped episode of Band Of Brothers from a 20.2 GB file to a 5.62 GB file (with full DTS-MA audio track), in 9 minutes and I really cannot find fault with the quality (one of my bug bears and the reason why I chose full 1:1 rips in the past).

For anyone with an i series CPU and limited budget to throw money at HDD's, I think encoding is now a no-brainer

You don't see any quality difference with the quick sync?  And sorry for my ignorance what is a 1:1 rip??

Spaceboy

1:1 - full copy of the disc. Could be DVD format or can be put into mkv container

steelman1991

You don't see any quality difference with the quick sync?  And sorry for my ignorance what is a 1:1 rip??

None whatsoever. I'm not advocating this is suitable for everyone, clearly its a personal choice, but I only posted on the basis of my own findings and how surprised I was at how far the process had come in a few short years (both in speed and quality). This is probably the first time I've used encoding for about 3-4 years, maybe more and I was really taken by the results.

1:1 full copy of disc or main movie/individual episode without any compression.

CrossCech

... from a 20.2 GB file to a 5.62 GB file (with full DTS-MA audio track), in 9 minutes

I realize this is my first post and will probably make a fast enemy right off the bat, but I think I'm going to have to call B.S. on the time it took to create your re-encode.  Not knocking that you got a nice quality encode from Handbrake (I use it all the time myself), but re-encoding a 50 minute episode of Band of Brothers at 20 GB down to 5.6 gb in 9 minutes?!?  **cough my ass cough**  More like it took you 30 minutes or more. 

I've been testing the latest nightly build using Intel QSV with my i7 3770 with a movie ripped from MakeMKV at 16 gb (Fool's Gold ironically). Since it's a movie with a duration about double an episode of Band of Brothers I generously figured it should only take me about 30 minutes to complete an encode.  Using high profile with all filters off and QSV preset set to Best Speed and it's still taking nearly an hour to encode.  

Yeah I have always done it slow as I typically am not in a rush and I don't notice a huge speed difference. I have an I5 and set rf to 16 slow speed... Some time savings but nothing drastic... Not saying you're wrong just putting in my experience

roberthleeii

I realize this is my first post and will probably make a fast enemy right off the bat, but I think I'm going to have to call B.S. on the time it took to create your re-encode.  Not knocking that you got a nice quality encode from Handbrake (I use it all the time myself), but re-encoding a 50 minute episode of Band of Brothers at 20 GB down to 5.6 gb in 9 minutes?!?  **cough my ass cough**  More like it took you 30 minutes or more. 

I've been testing the latest nightly build using Intel QSV with my i7 3770 with a movie ripped from MakeMKV at 16 gb (Fool's Gold ironically). Since it's a movie with a duration about double an episode of Band of Brothers I generously figured it should only take me about 30 minutes to complete an encode.  Using high profile with all filters off and QSV preset set to Best Speed and it's still taking nearly an hour to encode.  

I am not going to say either of you are wrong by I did a full movie around 2 hours blu-ray rip and it was around 20+ minutes. i7 4770k. I did not time it exactly I set it and walked off. that was just biased of estimated time remaining after a few minutes.

Koleckai Silvestri

I usually just queue a bunch of work items in Handbrake and go to bed. It is usually done when I wake up.

flexage

AnyDVD with Handbrake would be a good solution, straight from disc, rip and multi-thread encode in one step.

Fast, efficient, and easy.

Set up a standard set of quality profiles for future use, and off you go... don't need to bother with subtitle encoding since MB3 gets and handles extenal subs very well... plus I never use subs anyway :P

I have several large containers of the original disc for movies and tv shows, my hard drives are smaller and more convenient, and get awesome artwork :D

Set up a standard set of quality profiles for future use, and off you go... don't need to bother with subtitle encoding since MB3 gets and handles extenal subs very well... plus I never use subs anyway :P

This is not true for those of us using XBOX 360 extenders, we must burn in subtitles.  I don't use subtitles either but this is necessary to get "forced subtitles"

flexage

@@Bert - That is true, I moved away from WMC and Xbox 360 quite some time ago, and invested in a bunch of dedicated hardware, so not a problem for me anymore... I used to hate the limited codec support I got back them, but I can see how it could be a problem with MC Extenders.

CrossCech

I would like to know the exact settings per each tab in Handbrake that you're using in order to get your encode times down to what you're claiming they are.

I'd also like to know the original fps of movies you're working on 29.97? 23.97? 59.94?  

I'm running yet another encode of Fool's Gold that's originally 1920x1080 23.976 fps with AC3 audio.  This time though I've removed all audio (because I would prefer to just demux and remux the original audio, plus I can choose to convert to DTS 768 if I want) and removed all subs, and downsized the resolution to 1280x720. Basically I'm just encoding video only.  Currently standing at 10% with 1:02:00 remaining (just over an hour).  All filters are off, H.264 Intel QSV is on,  QSV Preset is on Best Speed, RF at 18.  

Would really like to know how you're configuring your encodes to output results in less than 30 minutes ... let alone 9 minutes. 

CrossCech

Looks like I'm going to have to admit that I'm wrong. I've been known to make mistakes every once in a while. :)  I figured out why my encodes were still taking over an hour even while I had Intel QSV selected. 

Let me start off by telling you my setup in regards to video cards. I've got two ATI 6850 cards SLI and Intel HD graphics onboard. Initially Handbrake didn't see my Intel graphic chip because my BIOS had it disabled. So I enabled it and viola Handbrake gave me the H.264 Intel QSV option.  So I figured I was done with configuring my hardware. Apparently I wasn't.

After attempting several encodes, after fiddling with Handbrake trying to figure out how to speed things up. and after the name calling of those claiming fast encode times previously in this thread, I did a little more research on how to utilize Intel QuickSync within Handbrake.  Found out that there was a little more I needed to do with my hardware before I'd start to have success. By following this quick guide that ensured that Intel QuickSync was enabled ... particularly steps 5-9, I now have Handbrake using Intel QuickSync to encode Fool's Gold from 1920x1080 to 1280x720p with 4000 kpbs and it's taking just a little over 30 minutes.

Humble pie has been served, and it doesn't taste too horrible, since I figured it out on my own.  I apologize for jumping the gun on saying that encoding with QSV lessened encode times as B.S. 

Thanks for sharing, checking it out right now.  A bit confused if it's actually enabled in my bios, but I don't have a video card so it should be.

steelman1991

Yeah not a great start, without some further investigation  :P

But for the avoidance of doubt

mK8Nesr.png

Spaceboy

It does look worth trying this again. The problem I always had was determining what settings to use in handbrake, there are a myriad of options and very little explanation for the layman. I just wanted a "best" setting but you seem to have to fiddle with it for every source type. This seems to have gone now from your reports