MakeMKV vs. DVDfab vs. ByteCopy vs. HandBrake

Guest ApexPredator

Best MKV Software?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What MKV software do you recommend?

Guest ApexPredator

I am looking for a good MKV software program. I would prefer to convert my Blu-ray movies to lossless, as I am big into surround sound and great picture quality. I wanted to see what others thought and if lossless in necessary? I have seen these programs around and wanted to get some feedback from the community. What MKV software do you recommend?

MakeMKV – Seems to be a solid and very popular program.

http://makemkv.com/

DVDfab – Option rich, but not cheap.

http://www.dvdfab.cn/blu-ray-ripper.htm

ByteCopy – Seems to be fast, but I see a ton of fake websites reviewing the product with links back to their site.

http://www.pavtube.cn/bytecopy/

HandBrake – Open source and very easy to use.

http://handbrake.fr/

MeGUI – Quite a learning curve, but free.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/megui/

Edited by ApexPredator

AdrianW

I think it depends what you're after - MakeMKV is great if you don't mind the large file sizes (as no re-encoding takes place).

But for encoding stuff, I prefer MeGUI - quite a learning curve, but I think it gives much better results than handbrake as you have much greater control over how your video and audio is encoded.

• Like 1

bozrdnag

I've been using MakeMKV for a while now and it's really good except sometimes it misses forced subtitles. I wonder if any of the others handle forced subs better?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Koleckai Silvestri

I just use a combination of MakeMKV and Handbrake. They are complimentary not competing products. Both are currently free and haven't had problems with quality.

• Like 2

Guest ApexPredator

I think it depends what you're after - MakeMKV is great if you don't mind the large file sizes (as no re-encoding takes place).

But for encoding stuff, I prefer MeGUI - quite a learning curve, but I think it gives much better results than handbrake as you have much greater control over how your video and audio is encoded.

Thanks for the tip Adrian, I added it to the poll.

I just use a combination of MakeMKV and Handbrake. They are complimentary not competing products. Both are currently free and haven't had problems with quality.

Are you using MakeMKV for lossless versions and Handbrake for protable device copies?

Koleckai Silvestri

Handbrake allows me to adjust resolution and bit rate after the fact. For instance, I had some episodes at 1080p and don't really need them above 720p. Can save up to 90% in space that way.

With most videos, I just let the server transcode.

Deathsquirrel

I don't do lossless video as I'm very happy with the image quality I get through handbrake when I cut my file size down to around 8-15GB.  I do keep the best audio track in its original format and a converted copy of that same track in whatever appropriate number of channels of AAC.

I rip using MakeMKV and then encode with Handbrake.  I use MP4 container for that as every platform in existence can play it with no extra software loaded, unlike MKV.

chef

Remember the MKVMerge is also a useful utility to have in your repitoire.

It is fast at muxing Bluray rips into the MKV

You can mux your subtitles into the container really easy.

Edited by chef

Pelon

I use DVDFAB, as it can do the rip and re-encoding in one step. 

I did try to use MakeMKV, and while the main program is free, the Bluray ripper does require payment, unless I'm missing something.

I did pay for DVDFAB since it was in version 6.

Now for new users, I don't believe that DVDFAB is available anymore, I think that only BLUFAB is available, so even when that would be my first choice, it might not be an option anymore.

Koleckai Silvestri

MakeMKV is free while in beta. They monthly registration key is published in the forum and unlocks the Bluray functionality. 

Deathsquirrel

MP4 cannot hold different subtitles. That is why I use MKV.

True as far as I know so anyone that cares about that should not use the format.  Easy portability matters to me a lot and I only use burned-in, forced subs so multiple subtitle tracks does not.

Guest ApexPredator

I really want something that is simple and doesn’t require multiple tries to get it right. I currently use AnyDVD, BDInfo and tsMuxeR. It takes multiple steps and I sometimes miss or choose the wrong subtitle file. I want a faster way to get this done, with minimal effort.  

This is why I was leaning towards DVDFab. Unfortunately, I cannot find anywhere that documents it will do lossless MKV. So I am wondering if the best option is MakeMKV and use MBT to grab my subtitles for me?

And that is one reason why MB tries very hard to stay away from pirating content.

Bert

Well for those of us using extenders.....using MakeMKV then handbranke to convert to a MP4 seems to be the only way to generate reliable files that will play on the 360.  This is what I do to five extenders.

blumamba

DVDFab is a great tool and they strive to keep it current.  They are in a legal battle and I am hoping they keep up the fight as I do believe that everyone has the right to rip and encode their collection and use it freely on their own equiptment.  As for the pirates and their sites, I just stay away form that since I prefer quality over quantitiy and buy what ever it is I want.  This way I am garrunteed a clean quality copy. 

Marc_G

I'm a big fan of MakeMKV.

I use essentially default settings. For BluRay content, forced / default sub flags are usually set correctly. For DVD rips, I find it often doesn't set the forced flags (actually, default flags tend to be missing which is interpreted as default = true). My settings in MPCHC used as external player from MBC let me address the issues quickly when they arise.

Marc

swhitmore

Copied from this post:

I can't recommend Freemake Video Converter enough. Great software and very easy to use. Just make sure you a VERY careful when installing. It will try to get you to install bloatware if you tick the wrong boxes (or don't untick the right ones). Once it is installed however, it will be perfect for what you want.

Out of all the converter programs I've used, it's easily the one with the nicest interface and most features. Very easy to use.

Note: I don't think it works for protected disks, but ripping those is illegal anyway :P

Edited by swhitmore

Spaceboy

Makemkv to get a full quality rip, hd space is ridiculously cheap these days, then let the player handle any transcoding. Been using makemkv for several years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roberthleeii

Because of this thread I have discovered makemkv and now use it over dvdfab but am curious how you identify which titles are what episodes when burning a TV series

bozrdnag

Because of this thread I have discovered makemkv and now use it over dvdfab but am curious how you identify which titles are what episodes when burning a TV series

The way I do it is to use PowerDVD or whatever software Blu-ray player you want and play am episode and note it's exact duration. Then in MakeMKV find the title with the exact same duration. In my experience that works about 95% of the time. Sometimes a show will have multiple episodes with the same duration but not very often.

If someone knows a better way of doing it I would love to hear it. I wish one of the software Blu-ray players would show the mpls or m2ts of the playing title but I haven't found one that does.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

roberthleeii

Here is my problem. I don't have blue ray playback software. My only way to play my blue rays is to rip them and play them on media browser . That is why I have not bought any series that are blue ray yet. The only optical drive on my house is on my

jamesplay

I've been using handbrake with some custom options to convert all my stuff to MP4. From an OSX port, it's pretty mediocre but gets the job done.

I have about 10 users on my server that all use the web browser, so converting everything to mp4 helps limit transcoding and CPU usage when people are watching during night times.