Live TV tuning on Android TV

Aurora-Emby

Aurora-Emby

I am a new Emby user and have encountered an issue with the time it takes to tune into live channels on the NVIDIA Shield. I am using an HDHomerun Prime with a cable card.  Emby Server is on a windows 10 system. 

It takes between 15-20 seconds to tune into a channel. Once tuned in, quality is great and I have not had any issues with recording or playing back content.  

I looked at my logs and it appears that there are some issues with invalid frame rates that are repeating that could be the issue:

[mpeg2video @ 000001f432e46c40] Invalid frame dimensions 0x0. Last message repeated 43 times

The channels tune in within 3-5 seconds using the "Direct Stream Live TV" but that won't work for me since I would like the ability to pause and rewind content as I watch.

Thanks!

EmbyLog.txt

Sammy

Post the transcode / ffmpeg log from when you are playing LiveTV.

Long tune times have been discussed for a while now and the developers are aware of this BTW.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The channels tune in within 3-5 seconds using the "Direct Stream Live TV" but that won't work for me since I would like the ability to pause and rewind content as I watch.

Until we can figure out a way to speed up ffmpeg, is it a possible work-around for you to leave the direct stream option turned on and, then when you know you want to pause if you attempt to, the app will prompt you to switch modes at that time.  That will still take a few seconds but then it will only be happening when you actually want this feature.

Spaceboy

Until we can figure out a way to speed up ffmpeg, is it a possible work-around for you to leave the direct stream option turned on and, then when you know you want to pause if you attempt to, the app will prompt you to switch modes at that time. That will still take a few seconds but then it will only be happening when you actually want this feature.

thats only really helpful for pausing though. You can’t rewind unless it’s been transcoding

Sammy

Until we can figure out a way to speed up ffmpeg, is it a possible work-around for you to leave the direct stream option turned on and, then when you know you want to pause if you attempt to, the app will prompt you to switch modes at that time. That will still take a few seconds but then it will only be happening when you actually want this feature.

What about slowing playback by 5% initially while building the buffer and then increasing playback to normal speed over a course of 5 to 10 minutes?

What about slowing playback by 5% initially while building the buffer and then increasing playback to normal speed over a course of 5 to 10 minutes?

That's not going to speed up tuning to the channel when we are running it through ffmpeg...

Sammy

That's not going to speed up tuning to the channel when we are running it through ffmpeg...

IDK how these things work but can it direct play for say 10 seconds while also building a buffer with ffmpeg in the background then merge the streams?

How did Microsoft do it with WMC all those years ago already? They had 3 to 5 second tune times with a pause and rewind buffer in WTV files?

How did Microsoft do it with WMC all those years ago already? They had 3 to 5 second tune times with a pause and rewind buffer in WTV files?

By being on a single platform on a single machine (no server) with access to a defined OS and its developers, etc.

We have a much more complex task in supporting such a wide array of software and hardware and having a server and 12-20 different platforms etc.

• Like 2

They might have had one or two more developers on the task as well ;) but we're definitely not done and always looking to improve this.

• Like 2

Sammy

Just trying some outside the box thoughts.. not that it can be done but just ideas..

• Like 1

Aurora-Emby

Thanks for the responses!  Looking forward to future improvements.  We  have somewhat gotten used to the delay in tunning, so not that big of a deal at this point since everything else works extremely well.

• Like 1