Emby Flashing images on Roku

zebo51
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

ProperlyFormattedDataFile

Thanks for the explanation.  Looking forward to these fixes making it out in the wild.

Thanks for the explanation.  Looking forward to these fixes making it out in the wild.

The neat thing is some of this will result in you getting better higher resolution images without impact that texture buffer. It may even give you higher resolution images with less texture buffer loss. Since the images are prepared for the texture they will use during poster node creation it then speeds up everything in subsequent renders. Especially if both the height/width requested matches exactly the loaded height/width which we now do implictly on images we do not know the size of that are not included in the app. So any time we have to request from Emby server we use it. Any time we have to request images from within our app assets we use it. Every single time we now use it. This will stop the problem in its tracks and give us room to provide you much higher resolution images at the exact same time. I want to promise you this "should" solve the problem forever. This is in effect "throwing in the kitchen sink". That if all else fails this will prevent it most defintely. This is also the last ace up my sleeve to fix this problem. But it is a trump card. It is the ace of spades. :)

The bodyguard for the small child on his first day of school. This code is now written as if the user is that child and the code is now your bodyguard. After all the updates are pushed. This is no small task either. There are parts all over that need to be adapted to correctly load images. I can get it all but the first batch of fixes may not touch all. But we will get all... You will not suffer this issue much longer because I now understand entirely why it happens and how exactly to prevent it. Now I just clean up our code to match these very high standards and you will notice the difference. The bar is now set very high and our presentation should start to show polish and attention to detail/aspect-ratio.

Please let us know when we fail to keep these high standards and stay tuned... ^_~

Did you ever find it odd the spinner was not spinning on your Roku express, Roku streaming stick, or older Roku model? I did.. so I made it spin for everyone. Free the spinner! Spin spin spin. It needs to spin and dance. The spin is the indicator of life. Move. Now it moves for everybody equally. You old Roku may have scars but she can spin now.. lol

Edited by speechles

• 1 month later...
Napsterbater

Seems to be fixed on my Roku Stick 3800x with Emby 4.3.0.8 on Windows Server 2016 1607.

Although I'm curious when you mention missing image libraries specifically what are you talking about? Because I had completely reinstalled Emby minus the database and media libraries themselves, so I'm curious as to what is wrong with my installation that caused this problem.

Seems to be fixed on my Roku Stick 3800x with Emby 4.3.0.8 on Windows Server 2016 1607.

Not the beta server, the beta app that I linked above.  Are you running that?

If the problem is gone due to a server upgrade, then that probably means your system is now properly processing images.

On some platforms, the library we use to resize images on the server is either not available or doesn't work properly.  In those instances, the server sends over images that are just too large for the Roku to handle.  That is why you see the flashing.  We made changes in the Roku beta app that should counteract this problem.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
MisterMoonlight

Maybe the reported problem is similar to these problems i reported a long time ago. But i got graphics flashing while playing music files:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68898-all-gui-graphics-element-flicker-when-playing-music/

And also in this thread while reporting another problem:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/77544-support-music-playlist/

Maybe the reported problem is similar to these problems i reported a long time ago. But i got graphics flashing while playing music files:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/68898-all-gui-graphics-element-flicker-when-playing-music/

And also in this thread while reporting another problem:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/77544-support-music-playlist/

Still with the current beta of the app?

• 4 weeks later...

If there is anyone with a server that still causes this problem (missing the image libraries) can you please test with the latest beta of the Roku app to see if it is resolved?

Thanks.

I'm just now checking in to see if there has been a fix for this.  I see the beta version is V3.0 build 191.  This matches my regular install too.  I did notice the image flashing within the last couple weeks, so not sure how long the release app has been out or when mine might have updated.  I need to watch another movie or show over 1hr length for me to find out on my setup. 

Are others noticing this has now been fixed?

Thanks

Are others noticing this has now been fixed?

Thanks

This should be solved. This was noticeable after playback because the "OSD Shade" image we are using was not being properly scaled into texture memory. It was loading at full size. This was crushing our free space and would cause that flicker as it attempted to garbage collect. We now are very careful with our texture management. You should not see this occur ever again. We apologize you even saw it in the first place. :)

This should be solved. This was noticeable after playback because the "OSD Shade" image we are using was not being properly scaled into texture memory. It was loading at full size. This was crushing our free space and would cause that flicker as it attempted to garbage collect. We now are very careful with our texture management. You should not see this occur ever again. We apologize you even saw it in the first place. :)

Actually, it was most likely the pre-playback background which had no constraints on it and was going to be much larger than our internal resource.

In any case, this should be solved now so please let us know if it is still a problem.

Thanks.

• Solution

You may be right. I forget it was so many to check. We went through every single instance of those and now properly scale before stash to texture memory.

I remember doing the how much can we save in texture memory? Lets find out. Remember that? lol.

Chasing every single instance where we can conserve any bytes. We did pretty good too. We shaved at least 20% off how we were doing it before. This means less bytes have to be pushed to render on screen. Rendering is slightly faster and flashing is stopped. A win win. As long as we continue this behavior as we add things this will never be a problem ever again. It will be but a memory that we remember. Not anything happening today.

If anyone reading this still experiences flashing images on their Roku please let us know immediately. You can never feel safe everyone is satisfied (and it truly is fixed) unless everyone who was unsatisfied says they are now satisfied. Thanks. We need feedback to react if this is still broken.. or breathe a sigh of relief if it is solved. You let us know how to react. Thanks again...  ;)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1