Folder/Episode naming conventions for cartoons (Bugs Bunny etc.)

Marc_G

Marc_G

Hi folks,

Let's say I want to have a library of my favorite cartoons I like to watch with my kids, consisting of specific hand selected episodes of things like Bugs Bunny cartoons. Presume I've ripped them to MKV from my "Golden Collection" blurays or whatever, and I know which file contains which episode. Note, I'm NOT trying to build a library based on the order in which they appear on those collection discs. Just a bunch of my favorites.  They could be organized alphabetically, or perhaps by year?

So, if I've got a file I know is "Ali Baba Bunny" and another is "Water Water Every Hare" and so on, how do I build the folder structure and name the files so that Emby will know what to do with them and pull up appropriate metadata for each episode?

Thanks in advance.

Marc

porkbone

Hi Marc, I made some screen shots on how I have my Looney Tunes Golden Collection setup and how it displays. I have the Animated Shorts library setup as Movies. I think it looks great in Emby Theater, kodi is another matter, but can be done with the right skin like Titan.

Hope this helps :)

post-191-0-30012600-1562941777_thumb.jpg

post-191-0-32787700-1562941790_thumb.jpg

post-191-0-87885600-1562941808_thumb.jpg

post-191-0-02527200-1562941822_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Marc_G

Hi Marc, I made some screen shots on how I have my Looney Tunes Golden Collection setup and how it displays. I have the Animated Shorts library setup as Movies. I think it looks great in Emby Theater, kodi is another matter, but can be done with the right skin like Titan.

Hope this helps :)

This is great @@porkbone , thanks. But I don't understand a couple things.

How did Emby understand what each cartoon was? Was the filename (including date) enough to let it figure it out? I should probably rip a disc and try it out myself. I won't be organizing it under (for example) \Looney Tunes Golden Collection\ but perhaps something like \Bugs Bunny Favorites\ or the like.  Did your use of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection folder structure help Emby?

Maybe the problem is I've never actually done manual metadata searches. At worst I've used the Identify button in Metadata Manager to fix a mis-identification, by picking from a list.

Probably I should just rip a disc to constituent files and play with it from there.

Oh, and what type of Library do you have it set to? Mixed content? TV Shows?

Thanks again!

Marc

Marc_G

So, I ripped a few episodes, put them in a file structure under:

\Cartoon Archive\Bugs Bunny\filename (year).mkv

Created a Library called Bugs Bunny (mixed content) and pointed it there.

It figured out one of the two files (Roman Legion-Hare (1955).mkv)  but didn't figure out The Grey Hounded Hare (1953).mkv.

Looks like I need to play around to improve detection.

Marc_G

I'm making some progress here. It turns out I am unreliable at Roman numeral date conversions. The Grey Hounded Hare was made in 1948, not 1953.

But it still wasn't picked up for metadata after I changed it. Turns out the database thinks it is 1949 instead. Others were fixed once either the date was corrected, or a hyphen inserted where one was previously omitted, or some other small syntax error corrected.

However, there are some that have colons in the name [Operation: Rabbit (1950)] and I'm unclear how to enter that. Colons not allowed in file names of course. I did an Identify and picked this one up, but the year was off by two years!

So, in cases where it isn't immediately recognized, step 1 is for me to double check the apparent year (Based on the roman numerals), then the syntax of the name, and if that doesn't work, use Identify (not specifying a year), and see what comes up.

But fundamentally this is all working out. Thanks for the assist!

Marc_G

I've decided to stop including the year in the filename. The year as listed in the episode lead-in screen often enough doesn't match the year listed in the metadata database so it is the source of needless errors.

Deathsquirrel

The easiest way to deal with these is to look them up on tvdb and just match what they do.  For Looney Tunes that's a 'season' per year.

For example:

\\server\share\TV\Looney Tunes\Season 1945\Looney Tunes S1945E02 Draftee Daffy.mkv

\\server\share\TV\Looney Tunes\Season 1945\Looney Tunes S1945E05 Life With Feathers.mkv

\\server\share\TV\Looney Tunes\Season 1945\Looney Tunes S1945E09 A Gruesome Twosome.mkv

Shouldn't have any troubles at all with this approach finding metadata.

• Like 2

Marc_G

Hey guys, I've hit a snag. Help please!

First, identification based on episode name only (without year, or season/episode) is going brilliantly. No problems so far as long as I accurately name the file to match the title.

Here's my current problem:

I have a Library of mixed content called "Cartoons."

In that Library I've added various folders \Bugs Bunny\  & \Road Runner\ and so on.

When (in Emby Theater) I go into my Cartoons library I want it to show the folder structure, so I have it set to Sort by Folders (order: Ascending), but instead it just shows me all the cartoons in one big list.

What do I need to do so that when I go into Cartoons, I'll see my half dozen or so folders (Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, etc.) instead of seeing all the content in one big list?

Thanks. I'm sure this is simple user error.

Marc_G

Sure thing!

So I made a Library called Cartoons,

post-489-0-22531500-1563376440_thumb.jpg

And I added these folders to it:

post-489-0-18796300-1563376307_thumb.jpg

And on any Emby device when I go into my Cartoons library, I see ALL THE CARTOONS instead of  subfolder/sub-libraries(?). 

post-489-0-84392500-1563376317_thumb.jpg

What I want is one Libary on my Emby main screen called Cartoons, and when I go into it, I want to see posters of the six or so subfolders, and be able to click on any one of those (eg Bugs Bunny, Road Runner etc.) and bring up the list of all the Bugs Bunny Cartoons or whatever. I don't want them mixed (Bugs cartoons listed side by side with Daffy cartoons).

[yes, I know some bugs bunny cartoons have Daffy in them... I'll deal with it! :-) ]

Thanks

playloud

I would create collections to mirror your folder structure.  

Within your Cartoons library, select all the "Bugs Bunny" cartoons, select "Add to Collection" from the 3-dot menu (upper right), and under New Collection you'll put "Bugs Bunny".  The next screen will give you a chance to add poster and backdrop artwork for the collection (provided by you), as well as edit the metadata for the collection.  

Do this for each sub-folder and it should look the way you hoped.  

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Sure thing!

So I made a Library called Cartoons,

attachicon.gifCartoons Library Settings.jpg

And I added these folders to it:

attachicon.gifCartoon Folder Structure.jpg

And on any Emby device when I go into my Cartoons library, I see ALL THE CARTOONS instead of  subfolder/sub-libraries(?). 

attachicon.gifCartoon current view.jpg

What I want is one Libary on my Emby main screen called Cartoons, and when I go into it, I want to see posters of the six or so subfolders, and be able to click on any one of those (eg Bugs Bunny, Road Runner etc.) and bring up the list of all the Bugs Bunny Cartoons or whatever. I don't want them mixed (Bugs cartoons listed side by side with Daffy cartoons).

[yes, I know some bugs bunny cartoons have Daffy in them... I'll deal with it! :-) ]

Thanks

Your library folders should only be Cartoon Archive not the six sub-folders. 

• Like 1

Marc_G

Your library folders should only be Cartoon Archive not the six sub-folders. 

Hmmm. I removed the six subfolders and added just the primary \\htserver\Cartoon Archive\

Then rescanned library.

Nothing at all shows in the Cartoons library in Emby.

Marc_G

What other Emby libraries have you created?

It has been a while since I created any libraries... I've got ones for Movies, Recorded TV, "Shows" which is TV series ripped from discs. A few others (one for system tests comes to mind). No problems with them, but they are all "one folder mapped to one library" deals.

Happy2Play

My guess would be the folder detection system is confused about what the content type is suppose to be and quitting. 

Or thinking it is TV and doesn't know what to do with the naming.

Edited by Happy2Play

Marc_G

My guess would be the folder detection system is confused about what the content type is suppose to be and quitting.

It's set for mixed content. It found everything fine when I had all the folders directly linked. I'll attempt @@playloud 's solution after dinner.

Marc_G

I think I've got this under control.

I deleted the Cartoons library which had just the \\htserver\cartoon archive\ folder entirely since nothing was showing up in it. Then I recreated it, with the exact same settings as far as I can tell. This time it populated it with the various folders, and after a library scan was completed, it all looked like it should. I then uploaded some folder pictures using the three dots menu on each folder and this is the result:

post-489-0-78470800-1563490062_thumb.jpg

I think I'm done! Thanks to all for your help.

• Like 1