Android TV on Shield - Scrolling in Collections detail screen

jordy

Because we're just getting hit hard with troubleshooting over nested collections not being implemented to everyone's expectations. I would rather spare people the frustration and take it out until such time that we're able to do it right and bring it back.

You can still add them by manually editing collection xml files though. Probably better off that way as if you're willing to do that then you're probably also going to be willing to live with it's limitations.

I'll chime in as I have been complaining about the presentation of Collections in the Fire TV since I began using Emby. Besides the horizontal scroll annoyance, is the lack of any details about the highlighted item when scrolling. Also, the fact that you cannot see all items in large collections. I use large collections to hold genres, since the Movies-Genres section does not allow shuffling (although the shuffle feature is horrible as was pointed out in one of my previous posts, and apparently is too being ignored).

• Like 1

arrbee99

Point 1 - I haven't read all this thread

Point 2 - I really like horizontal scrolling and don't want any of it to disappear (i.e. I don't want any replaced. Supplemented fine, replaced no thanks)

arrbee99

Possibly. But then I like horizontal views, Jordy likes vertical. So why do we have to have one or the other, the Android app accommodates lots of horizontal AND vertical views in the same app, whats one more. I certainly would like more horizontal views in Theater like it used to be. 100% customer satisfaction.

If we can't just pick for ourselves, then IMHO we could do ebrs suggestion of horizontal scrolling but a double row, so twice as much on the screen, half the scrolling.

Or if the row across the top with empty space below is inefficient, fill the bottom half with synopsis of the program above in the same sized box as the item above (if you can fit enough in and still read it).

jordy

NIce move Luke. Take the easy way out and get your customers to fight over it instead of accommodating both. I agree with @arrrbee99. If there were no other occurrences of Vertical Scrolling in the Android TV app you would be right to say no. BUT as there are plenty of screens with Vertical scrolling as Default actions, I still can't see why we can't have both with a simple switch in settings to make it happen, just as there are elsewhere in Emby.

You still haven't provided a good reason why you can't accommodate this for your users satisfaction.

since the Movies-Genres section does not allow shuffling

It does with the next release of the app.

You still haven't provided a good reason why you can't accommodate this for your users satisfaction.

Sorry, I thought I provided both technical and design reasons why it was not an easy thing to do in post #9.

• 2 months later...

I also prefer the option to be able scroll Vertically on Android TV within a Collection.

The Android app, Emby Theatre as well as the web browser interface already runs vertical.

The sections are quicker and easier to navigate with having 2000 plus media items in some. Sections being like Movies, Collections, Music, etc.

Once in a specific collection I quite often scroll right and hold the button in to eventually reach what I was looking for but over shot scrolling so have to go left again. I tend to just go work on something else in the Garage.

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

I also prefer the option to be able scroll Vertically on Android TV within a Collection.

The Android app, Emby Theatre as well as the web browser interface already runs vertical.

The sections are quicker and easier to navigate with having 2000 plus media items in some. Sections being like Movies, Collections, Music, etc.

Once in a specific collection I quite often scroll right and hold the button in to eventually reach what I was looking for but over shot scrolling so have to go left again. I tend to just go work on something else in the Garage.

You have collections with 2000+ items??

Not in Collections itself no but in the Movies section (I cleared out all the old formats).

There's about 260 Collections.

Some custom Collections like "Vampire (45 movies)", "Martial Arts (32 movies)", "Dark Horse Comics (13 movies)", "Image Comics (11 movies)", "Marvel Comics (48 movies)" etc.

One named "Espionage, syndicate" has a 145 movies in it.

Not in Collections itself no but in the Movies section (I cleared out all the old formats).

The standard library grids already scroll vertically by default...

The standard library grids already scroll vertically by default...

Very aware after using it since Media Browser II yes.

I was under the impression that this tread pertains to Collections so I didn't elaborate on the rest to minimize text.

• 4 months later...

I hope that someone actually reads this post. I must say that the reason I got to this post is because I have the exact same problem as the person who started this thread. I have an NVIDIA Shield and as we all know it runs Android TV. The problem is that I like to create custom collections like I do in Kodi for tv shows that are what my wife and I are currently watching and for shows that I watch by myself. I like to add about 30 so that there is a good variety but when you open the collection those 30 items scroll horizontally. That's quite frustrating as the web app on pc uses vertical scrolling for collections. Could we please get the Android TV version to have vertical scrolling for collections? This would be great. 

• Like 1

Hi, are you still running into this after the latest update?

Yes I am, my collections still only scroll horizontally on Android TV. Regarding the update, I don't like that I can't keep the sections on the left side of the home screen.

I don't like that I can't keep the sections on the left side of the home screen.

Hi, can you explain this a little bit more?

Hi, can you explain this a little bit more?

He's talking about that same "side bar" or, as Android TV called it "FastLane" menu on the home screen which has been eliminated.

Before the update my sections such as collections, action and adventure, TV shows, comedy, documentaries, etc were all scrollable choices on the left side of the UI. Now that isn't the layout and I don't see an option on my Shield to change it back. I'd also like to know still if there is a chance you will make my collections scroll vertically for Android TV.

Before the update my sections such as collections, action and adventure, TV shows, comedy, documentaries, etc were all scrollable choices on the left side of the UI. 

That's not exactly correct...  The items in that side bar were just the rows that you still see on your home screen.  They weren't your libraries.  It was just a collapsed list of all the titles of the rows on that screen.  You can still get to all of them in the same number of clicks by scrolling down.

I'd also like to know still if there is a chance you will make my collections scroll vertically for Android TV.

As long as we are separating collection members by type (as opposed to in one single list) this is technically challenging on this platform because you cannot have multiple vertical scrolling grids in a vertically scrolling layout.

As long as we are separating collection members by type (as opposed to in one single list) this is technically challenging on this platform because you cannot have multiple vertical scrolling grids in a vertically scrolling layout.

@@ebr, can you be more specific on exactly what different "types" you are separating, surely they are all Movies or TV Shows/episodes or just plain Home Videos. I wouldn't have thought that anyone would mix content in a collection

Albums, artists, people. you can put just about anything into collections.

Ah, yes, OK. But surely not a mixture of movies, artists, people, TV Shows, Music etc etc ALL in the same Collection - isn't that what were talking about here - Mixed collections? That doesn't make any sense, it would be ridiculously hard to find anything or sort it for that matter. It would probably mean using a search function to find what you want, but that can be done from almost anywhere...