.strm directly from the source

SaadDesu

SaadDesu

Hi, why I can't play a .strm file directly from the source (google drive) without using my server for transcoding?

It's working perfectly for Google chrome but not for Android/iOS apps.

Hi there, we can't verify the legality of the content so for app store releases we run all remote streams through your emby server.

If we were to direct play to remote urls that are known sources of pirated content, this could put us in jeopardy of violating app store policies. Thank you for your understanding.

• Like 1

SaadDesu

Is there any alternatives? Or add-on like jellyfin that allow me to direct play?

And also there are many apps on Google play that allow to play direct like kodi

And also there are many apps on Google play that allow to play direct like kodi

And Kodi was kicked off of Amazon due to this type of reputation.

We're sorry, but we simply cannot take that chance.

BTW - The items should not be actually transcoding unless needed.  They will just be fed through your server.

• 3 years later...

Necroposting because the handling of .strm file links mentioned above no longer appears to be true.   I actually want the server to direct stream or transcode my .strm files similar to the way M3U content for live tv is handled, but they all appear to direct play on the Android/Android TV apps from the play store.  Is there an option I can change to make this happen? 

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, bruor said:

I actually want the server to direct stream or transcode my .strm files similar to the way M3U content for live tv is handled, but they all appear to direct play on the Android/Android TV apps from the play store.

Not quite following, why would you want it to DirectStream or transcode when it can be DirectPlayed? 

13 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Not quite following, why would you want it to DirectStream or transcode when it can be DirectPlayed? 

Because I have a policy route set up for my Emby server to use a VPN tunnel, if the clients direct play the traffic takes an undesired path. 

Actually,  it looks like this might be a client bug.  I've been able to reproduce this on Chrome as well as the Android Apps. 

If I play live tv and open stats for nerds it shows direct stream
If I play a .strm file and open stats for nerds it shows direct play

However, if I look at my server I can see that the traffic is being proxied through it as expected. 

GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, bruor said:

Because I have a policy route set up for my Emby server to use a VPN tunnel, if the clients direct play the traffic takes an undesired path. 

AFAIK no remote url is played directly in store apps, DirectPlay doesn't mean it's played from source, just that it is delivered unaltered, as-is, by Emby server: container, video and audio streams are untouched. The route (or path) is always same, regardless whether an item is DirectPlayed, DirectStreamed or Transcoded. What led you to this conclusion? Wording? 

41 minutes ago, bruor said:

they all appear to direct play on the Android/Android TV apps from the play store.

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

GrimReaper
8 minutes ago, bruor said:

If I play live tv and open stats for nerds it shows direct stream
If I play a .strm file and open stats for nerds it shows direct play

As it should, as in first case there was likely a container swap or audio remux, while in the second case client device obviously supported video/audio codec hence enabling DirectPlay.

Edit: Quick read KB article here:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001920144-direct-play-vs-direct-streaming-vs-transcoding

Edited by GrimReaper
Link