Where should the delete button be?

TylerV76

Happy2Play

So why not just disable the delete option for the User?  I would see no reason for Kids to ever have delete privileges.  Only someone who is administrating the libraries should every have delete privileges and button location will always be subjective to the admin.

TylerV76

So why not just disable the delete option for the User? I would see no reason for Kids to ever have delete privileges. Only someone who is administrating the libraries should every have delete privileges and button location will always be subjective to the admin.

Again, many of us use one account in areas like the living room because we watch TV together. We should not have to change users repeatedly because a destructive button is positioned incorrectly. That would require way more clicking than ever just to delete a show when its done. Edited by TylerV76

arrbee99

I would never enable deleting in Emby, but if I'm still allowed to vote I would move it away from next too Play.

However, for those such as Tyler who want to have it available due to sharing an account I would support the not deleted but marked for deletion approach.

Or maybe a long button press to enable delete, to get past those 'quick clickers'. Or make it the only one in the button row to require double click.

vdatanet

Again, many of us use one account in areas like the living room because we watch TV together. We should not have to change users repeatedly because a destructive button is positioned incorrectly. That would require way more clicking than ever just to delete a show when its done.

In the common areas of my home, where we watch television together, I have an user "family" without permission to delete. If I have to delete something, I log in the web application as an administrator and delete what I want. Some time ago, the administrator could not even delete files, I had to do it by ssh or sftp, but since I'm becoming more and more lazy, I gave the administrator permission to delete content.

TylerV76

In the common areas of my home, where we watch television together, I have an user "family" without permission to delete. If I have to delete something, I log in the web application as an administrator and delete what I want. Some time ago, the administrator could not even delete files, I had to do it by ssh or sftp, but since I'm becoming more and more lazy, I gave the administrator permission to delete content.

To me that's unnecessary and more hassle then its worth. In fact, that's the reason denz had such an issue where the delete button originally was. 

Btw, as Ive said numerous times now, the delete prompt default highlighted button is delete in the Fire TV.

Sorry, somehow I missed you stating this previously.  Unfortunately, that appears to be an issue with the Fire as the exact same code on Android TV is the opposite.  I'll have to see what can be done about that as I don't want the delete button to be default.  Thx.

If you've already voted on the issue you don't need to make your case any further.  If  you haven't chimed in yet, please do.  Still a very small sample size and we'd like to get as much feedback as possible.

Again, the only question on the table right now is do we move the button over a few slots.  Please don't suggest other alternatives at this time.

Thanks!

Unrelated, but for the next release of the server we'll have recycle bin support for MacOS just like Windows.

TylerV76

Unrelated, but for the next release of the server we'll have recycle bin support for MacOS just like Windows.

Thats good to hear. Hopefully NAS devices will follow soon. 

TylerV76

If you've already voted on the issue you don't need to make your case any further.  If  you haven't chimed in yet, please do.  Still a very small sample size and we'd like to get as much feedback as possible.

Again, the only question on the table right now is do we move the button over a few slots.  Please don't suggest other alternatives at this time.

Thanks!

Has this been given enough time (a week)?

2 want it next to play, 3 want it removed completely and 6 want it moved away from play.

Would really like to put Emby back on my devices and stop listening to how much the family doesn't like Plex. 

denz

What are you talking about cater to my demands. It is a personal media server and since it is personal I should be able to delete anything that I want using a remote. WMC is also a personal media software and it had delete button next to play so does my satellite box. If you don’t want users not to delete don’t let them it is not that hard at file level all my bluray copies can’t be deleted everything else can.

If you used a pvr than you would understand why the location of the button is impossible if you don’t you will never understand it.

Edited by denz

CBers

Just as an aside, but on my TiVo6 box, you have to go into the recordings to delete a recording, there isn't a delete button on screen.

What are you talking about cater to my demands. It is a personal media server and since it is personal I should be able to delete anything that I want using a remote. WMC is also a personal media software and it had delete button next to play so does my satellite box. If you don’t want users not to delete don’t let them it is not that hard at file level all my bluray copies can’t be deleted everything else can.

If you used a pvr than you would understand why the location of the button is impossible if you don’t you will never understand it.

denz, the discussion is not about taking the button away. It is about this:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75219-where-should-the-delete-button-be/?p=761870