Where should the delete button be?

TylerV76

clarkss12

Personally, I rarely DELETE one of my recordings, but when I do, I like the DELETE button (visible or in a sub-menu) in whatever app I am using.  Of course, I do NOT want it next to the Play button.  Keep it as far away as possible, and definitely KEEP the confirmation button..........

TylerV76

Children always touch the buttons they should not, even if they are hidden. And if you ask who he has been, the answer is always I don't. Therefore, the first step is that they do not have this option available. Changing the position of the button does not solve the problem. 

I think CBers has had the best idea, it's the pseudo recycling bin. I use a Windows application where non-administrators mark a record to be deleted, simply a boolean field is set to true. It automatically disappears from the listings and the administrator can permanently delete or restore them. This has saved our skin more than once. 

The drawback is that part of the server must be configured on all client platforms.

I agree, I liked the idea of the pseudo recycle bin. It’s what I hoped we were going to get instead of as well as the confirmation prompt

That would be a decent compromise as well. At least give us non-windows users some form of protection besides a prompt. If people are willing to click delete in the first place, a prompt isn't going to stop them. 

Now I know Luke stated that they would work on a recycle bin for non-windows servers in the future but "in the future" seems to mean at least a year. If that were the plan then you cannot keep the button where it is currently until that is implemented. Waiting months or years for the 2 to work together is not viable. 

CBers

Now I know Luke stated that they would work on a recycle bin for non-windows servers in the future but "in the future" seems to mean at least a year. If that were the plan then you cannot keep the button where it is currently until that is implemented. Waiting months or years for the 2 to work together is not viable.

Priorities, priorities :)

It's probably on the list after Channel Management.

• Like 2

Spaceboy

Priorities, priorities :)

It's probably on the list after Channel Management.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji3]
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

After the change on the ATV app from the content menu to next to the play button I've disabled deleting on my server. I don't delete often as I am more of a hoarder but the option to delete from the ATV (only app I really use) is much nicer that having to SSH into my headless server or use a device with SMB setup to delete files. The problem is that I use a single account for my house so I may know not to delete files my family, including guest could make the mistake or unintentionally delete something. I would take to have to re-rip a bluray because someone accidentally deleted it. What would work for me is:

1. Optional PIN code for delete

2. Watched state syncing between accounts so I wouldn't need to use a single account and could have an admin account for deleting and maintenance

my family, including guest could make the mistake or unintentionally delete something.

It is quite hard to unintentionally delete something as there is a confirmation prompt where the default button is "Cancel".

So, anyone who does this now is intentionally trying to delete the item.  Putting the button two more clicks away doesn't seem like it will stop them from doing that...

Even though, I don't think this will guard against your users who want to delete but you don't want them to, I'll ask again in here - with a wider audience - for a show of hands on this possible compromise (Denz, we know your opinion already :)):

What if we were to move the button after watched and favorite in all apps?  Is that a reasonable compromise?  

So essentially that means making it the second to last button just before the 3-dot more menu.

maegibbons

Just give us the option of "by play" or "3 Dot".

Its done!

Krs

Mark

Its done!

Krs

Mark

That's a separate discussion, please feel free to open a feature request. But even if that happens, what we're trying to nail down here is the best default behavior.

Its done!

Krs

Mark

That's not the question I asked.

What is your answer to that question please?

maegibbons

Whatever denz thinks.

My previous response was to "solve" the issue completely without anybody having to compromise.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

Whatever denz thinks.

My previous response was to "solve" the issue completely without anybody having to compromise.

Krs

Mark

A large percentage of users will never even go into settings. Instead, they'll just walk away if it doesn't work well out of the box. That is why even if we do an option, we still need to make sure the default behavior is suitable for the largest number of people possible.

maegibbons

A large percentage of users will never even go into settings. Instead, they'll just walk away if it doesn't work well out of the box. That is why even if we do an option, we still need to make sure the default behavior is suitable for the largest number of people possible.

Then it should remain next to the play button so new users can immediately see how the media can be deleted.

When i was a new user, i always found it strange that it was in the three dot and not next to play.

Krs

Mark

Then it should remain next to the play button so new users can immediately see how the media can be deleted.

When i was a new user, i always found it strange that it was in the three dot and not next to play.

Krs

Mark

But that's actually not what we're asking. Can you read Ebr's proposal again? We're asking about putting it second to last just before the 3-dot menu.

Put this way. Are you currently able to locate how to mark something as favorite or played?

maegibbons

But that's actually not what we're asking. Can you read Ebr's proposal again? We're asking about putting it second to last just before the 3-dot menu.

Put this way. Are you currently able to locate how to mark something as favorite or played?

I know. But why do you think moving it makes anything better? Its great where it is now FOR ME. Others dont like it and moving a bit further along is pointless.

Sorry if you are not understanding me or I am not understanding you.

Kra

Mark

I know. But why do you think moving it makes anything better? Its great where it is now FOR ME. Others dont like it and moving a bit further along is pointless.

Yes, I actually agree and made the point that moving it two clicks really isn't going to stop someone who want to delete.

So, your answer to the question is "No - leave it next to play".

Thanks.

Sorry if you are not understanding me or I am not understanding you.

Kra

Mark

It's not about what we think. We're just asking looking for opinions.

Correct.  Luke and my vote don't count in this particular poll.  We need to hear from as many of you as possible!

vdatanet

So essentially that means making it the second to last button just before the 3-dot more menu.

+1

clarkss12

"""What if we were to move the button after watched and favorite in all apps?  Is that a reasonable compromise? """

That is acceptable to me..........  But I am easy to please. 

TylerV76

Yes, I actually agree and made the point that moving it two clicks really isn't going to stop someone who want to delete.

So, your answer to the question is "No - leave it next to play".

Thanks.

Do you have kids? Teenagers? I watch my kids fly though the buttons while watching a series and I cannot tell you how many times they have marked something played when they were trying to hit play. Now that button is the delete button. Do tou think kids are reading the prompts? I’ll answer that, they dont because they are kids and dont pay attention to warnings.

So yes, please move it next to the 3 dot menu so its accessible but not next to the most used button in the software and therefore susceptible to accidental presses.

Btw, as Ive said numerous times now, the delete prompt default highlighted button is delete in the Fire TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerV76

It is quite hard to unintentionally delete something as there is a confirmation prompt where the default button is "Cancel".

So, anyone who does this now is intentionally trying to delete the item. Putting the button two more clicks away doesn't seem like it will stop them from doing that...

You are thinking as a techy who uses and made the software. You are not thinking like any of our wives, kids, elderly family.

Will they use favorite or watched? Nope. Will they use play? Yep. Which button is delete next to? Which button do you think is going to get accidentally pressed and possible destroy someones files? It sure isn’t watched or favorite.

I cant wait for all the apple tv users to use that god awful remote and try to hit cancel on the delete prompt when that p.o.s. remote slides over to the confirm button. Did you guys even consider that? How many times does that remote press the item left or right of what you want? On mine its at least 75% of the time.