Where should the delete button be?

TylerV76

TylerV76

Curious where Apple TV users would prefer the delete button.

Where it is now at the end of the button row?

Next to the Play Button?

Buried in a submenu?

TylerV76

Curious where Android TV users would prefer the delete button.

Next to the Play Button?

Buried in a submenu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerV76

Curious where other users would prefer the delete button.

Next to the Play Button?

Buried in a submenu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've moved this to general as I think one is enough. You could even add a poll to this if you like. 

Thanks.

TylerV76

I've moved this to general as I think one is enough. You could even add a poll to this if you like. 

Thanks.

Tried adding a poll but the post wouldn't complete and now I don't see the option. If you could add that, that'd be great. 

Gilgamesh_48

To me there should not be a "delete"button at all. File system maintenance belongs outside Emby.

• Like 1

denz

It should be next to the play button so it is visible and easily assessible.  Current location is perfect.

Spaceboy

Doesn’t really matter as I’m never going to enable delete for any users. After the last fiasco I don’t know how anyone could trust this to be implemented in a way that might cause the deletion of their entire library

• Like 1

vdatanet

I prefer the current position and it should be there in all platforms. It makes no sense to be near the play button.

CBers

To me there should not be a "delete"button at all. File system maintenance belongs outside Emby.

+1

maegibbons

It should be next to the play button so it is visible and easily assessible. Current location is perfect.

I am with @@denz on this. If you are a heavy DVR user then you want to delete shows easily.

I understand that many will disagree so i do believe that this is one button you should have options for.

There is no "right" place that will suit everybodys usage and philosophies.

Krs

Mark

vdatanet
Perhaps in the user's configuration, instead of being able to delete or not, one of the following options could be selected:

1) can not delete

2) Can delete with button

3) can delete with option in menu ...

So everyone is happy and it does not matter the location of the delete button.

In my particular case, all users have the option to delete disabled, except me. I also have to say, that I do not use the recording of live television, and therefore it is rare to delete.

Edited by vdatanet

TylerV76

Thanks.

So the same people are answering that originally replied when the idea was brought up.

2 people want it next to the play button, 3 want it hidden and 3 dont want it at all.

This topic didnt garner much response the first time it went around so I cant imagine it will get much more this time.

ebr’s compromise was reasonable. I dont see why you wouldnt implement it considering no 2 apps are/were the same when this was done against the wishes of the majority who bothered to chime in.

It keeps it in the open but you have to intentionally hit it.

denz

If the delete button is in any other location there is no point having it at all might as well not have it.

That is how it was originally in ATV totally different to all the other apps it has moved to the location that is appropriate.

If there is no delete button there is no point me using this software.

Edited by denz

TylerV76

If the delete button is in any other location there is no point having it at all might as well not have it.

That is how it was originally in ATV totally different to all the other apps it has moved to the location that is appropriate.

If there is no delete button there is no point me using this software.

And likewise, if it remains where it is I cannot and will not use this software.

So since you are unwilling to compromise we should just cater to your demands like has been done?

and 3 dont want it at all.

This is possible to do so these opinions aren't really relevant to this discussion.

Your argument is that this is a dangerous button but there is already the ability to completely disable it if you wish AND there is a dialog confirmation that you have to actually arrow over to a button other than the default in order to execute the delete.  So "accidental" deletion doesn't seem like a huge risk.

Compare that to someone who regularly deletes content and it does make sense to have the feature more accessible.  That is the reasoning behind the current placement.

TylerV76

This is possible to do so these opinions aren't really relevant to this discussion.

Your argument is that this is a dangerous button but there is already the ability to completely disable it if you wish AND there is a dialog confirmation that you have to actually arrow over to a button other than the default in order to execute the delete.  So "accidental" deletion doesn't seem like a huge risk.

Compare that to someone who regularly deletes content and it does make sense to have the feature more accessible.  That is the reasoning behind the current placement.

I've explained the reason why having it next to play regardless of a visual prompt (one who's delete function is the primary selection on Fire TV) is a bad idea and the majority of users who bothered to reply agreed. 

I regularly delete dvr files but moving it 2 clicks over makes substantially more sense and is far less dangerous. 2 clicks makes a world of difference. If someone can't click twice then remove all buttons that are more than 2 clicks. You placed it between the play and watched button. When someone in my house watches something they quickly mark it unwatched unless we watched it together. Kids blast through these buttons very quickly and half pay attention. Now users like us Mac and Nas users have zero protection against that. It must be nice for all you folks who live in a home without small children and elderly family members. 

Beyond that, the majority in this and the other thread were against it but as soon as someone said "I won't use Emby anymore unless you move the button" you did it. You had a good compromise but didn't even try it. 

This is not the software I paid a lifetime subscription for. I would like to feel comfortable using it again without having to jump through hoops remoting into my server to delete files or having to set up multiple users for one house that I then get to try to explain the convoluted process of switching user profiles to. This software is supposed to make things easier. Let alone the fact that no other software is crazy enough to put the delete button next to the play button. I can't imagine why that is.

Edited by TylerV76

CBers

@@TylerV76 Sorry to say this, but I think you're fighting a losing battle here.

I personally don't think Emby should have the option to delete content, but too many people use it for it to be removed now, so I have DELETE disabled and I delete at he filesystem level.

A compromise on better placement would be good, but people are digging their heels in and won't budge, on both sides of the argument.

Perhaps @@Luke and @@ebr can (quickly) add an option for a "pseudo-recycle bin" for non-Windows users, that is configurable by admins (similar to other services ;) ), so that there is at least, some "protection".

Other than that, you're just going to keep banging your head against a brick-wall with this subject.

Just my thoughts :)

• Like 2

TylerV76

@@TylerV76 Sorry to say this, but I think you're fighting a losing battle here.

I personally don't think Emby should have the option to delete content, but too many people use it for it to be removed now, so I have DELETE disabled and I delete at he filesystem level.

A compromise on better placement would be good, but people are digging their heels in and won't budge, on both sides of the argument.

Perhaps @@Luke and @@ebr can (quickly) add an option for a "pseudo-recycle bin" for non-Windows users, that is configurable by admins (similar to other services ;) ), so that there is at least, some "protection".

Other than that, you're just going to keep banging your head against a brick-wall with this subject.

Just my thoughts :)

Unfortunately I agree. I just find it hilarious that it was said "if enough people are against the new placement we will move it". Everyone but 2 were against it yet here it is. Or, "it matches the other apps so we moved it", when none of the apps matched. And my favorite, "how about a compromise", and then never actually attempt to implement the compromise even though as many people as wanted the button moved agreed to the compromise. 

This is Plex all over again. Emby is so much better and then something stupid like this happens and completely ruins it. The buttons fine where it is until it isn't.

Why they can't place a server level option to avoid this mess is beyond me. How much time will it take? An hour or so? If I agree to buy another lifetime license to compensate their time would that be enough? Whats it going to take? 

vdatanet

Children always touch the buttons they should not, even if they are hidden. And if you ask who he has been, the answer is always I don't. Therefore, the first step is that they do not have this option available. Changing the position of the button does not solve the problem. 

I think CBers has had the best idea, it's the pseudo recycling bin. I use a Windows application where non-administrators mark a record to be deleted, simply a boolean field is set to true. It automatically disappears from the listings and the administrator can permanently delete or restore them. This has saved our skin more than once. 

The drawback is that part of the server must be configured on all client platforms.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

I agree, I liked the idea of the pseudo recycle bin. It’s what I hoped we were going to get instead of as well as the confirmation prompt