Have to Force Close Sometimes

karambit27

lightsout

I literally do that every day multiple times and have never been able to cause this issue.  I even use a Harmony remote as well.  There is some other factor we haven't identified yet.

When it "flashes back to the home screen" do you see anything at all from the app?  The emby logo, a spinner, anything?

Did you send a log from the app right after doing all of that?

No I don't see anything from the app its just gone. I usually close emby with the home button, could that be causing an issue.

I have not gotten a log, need to look at debugging, I had turned it on but not sure if that was right before I got the new Shield. Am I looking for the global android debugging setting? Or is there one in emby?

lightsout

Instructions for sending a log from the app are in How to Report a Problem

Thanks.

I sent a log from the app about 9:30, but it was a bit different this time as I tried to reproduce it while I was using the Shield, what I did was

1. Close emby with home button.

2. Shut everything off with harmony remote

3. Start shield activity with harmony, select emby, everything fine.

Then I

1. played a show in netflix.

2. Closed netflix with home button

3. Turned everything off with harmony remote.

4. Start shield activity

5. Openm emby, it flashed and closed as it has been.

6. This time when I tried to select emby again it worked as normal.

I am not sure if the shield needs to be asleep for a while or what the deal is. It was at that last point that I sent a log at about 9:28 a.m. pst.

I sent a log from the app about 9:30, but it was a bit different this time as I tried to reproduce it while I was using the Shield, what I did was

1. Close emby with home button.

2. Shut everything off with harmony remote

3. Start shield activity with harmony, select emby, everything fine.

Then I

1. played a show in netflix.

2. Closed netflix with home button

3. Turned everything off with harmony remote.

4. Start shield activity

5. Openm emby, it flashed and closed as it has been.

6. This time when I tried to select emby again it worked as normal.

I am not sure if the shield needs to be asleep for a while or what the deal is. It was at that last point that I sent a log at about 9:28 a.m. pst.

Sorry to ask this but can you replicate that and resend that log?

Thanks.

lightsout

Sorry to ask this but can you replicate that and resend that log?

Thanks.

Just sent one over, when I first turned it back on emby loaded right to the guide where I had been, which never happens. But closing and starting netflix like above resulted in the same result. Failed on the first try but worked on the second, log sent over just now.

Man, I'm sorry.  I've been having trouble with the back end that collects the logs and it keeps missing yours.

I apologize but, when you have a chance, if you can do it one more time, i think I'll get it. 

lightsout

Man, I'm sorry. I've been having trouble with the back end that collects the logs and it keeps missing yours.

I apologize but, when you have a chance, if you can do it one more time, i think I'll get it.

No problem I’ll post here when I do.

• 2 weeks later...
rbjtech

Hi ebr - I posted one yesterday after a black screen.  Debug was on.  Latest Fire TV Client, Latest Beta Server.

approx 13:00 UK Time.

User - Ness

IP - *.*.148.140

It may be of some use to you, but it definitely is related to sleep, as whenever I come clean out of Emby it never happens.

Thanks.

Thanks.

I'm doing a bunch of re-design work right now that may help this situation out just by cleaning up the code a bit.  We'll see with the next beta.

• Like 1

lightsout

When?  With what version of the app?

Not sure exactly as far as time, I should be on the recent official release, auto update is enabled.

lightsout

I sent a log earlier. 

Open the app->opens and closes->open the app, black screen-> force close tha app and reopen-> all is well

I am on the most recent version.

Edited by lightsout

I sent a log earlier. 

Open the app->opens and closes->open the app, black screen-> force close tha app and reopen-> all is well

I am on the most recent version.

Hi.  When is "earlier"?

You are still on the release version, correct?  If so, nothing has changed there.  If you'd like to try the beta I'd be interested if it is still a problem.

Thanks.

lightsout

Hi.  When is "earlier"?

You are still on the release version, correct?  If so, nothing has changed there.  If you'd like to try the beta I'd be interested if it is still a problem.

Thanks.

I think I am in the beta, because I have been following the beta thread and keep getting updates. I have the new "on now" row with just the 4 tv icons on their own. Sorry I don't know when I sent the log, is there no way to identify them?

is there no way to identify them?

Yes, by you telling me the name of the local Emby user logged in and the time you sent it :).

...use this button to send the log.  Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

lightsout

This still happens often. My wife has been using the internal Roku on our new tv because she says whenever she turns on the shield Emby just opens to a black screen.

I can quickly deal with it but it's something that frustrates her. I was able to reproduce it as well.

Open Emby to black screen, push home, open Emby to black screen, double tap home, kill Emby, open Emby. All is well.

Not sure what the deal is but the latest beta hasn't solved it.

I know I am not alone in this as it has happened on two different Shields. 2017 and 2019 Model.

lightsout

Have you enabled any of the auto login settings in the app?

I'll have to check. I mean it's always logged into one profile. It's the only one we use in the living room. But I think it just stays logged in. I'll have to check.

I really don't think it is related to the login process.  The app is crashing at some other time and you are just activating it in an already crashed state.  If it were crashing on the login, you would see the Emby welcome screen not just a black one.  That is part of why this is so hard to track down.  The other part is that I have never, on any device, been able to reproduce it.  I don't know why it happens to some folks but not most.

gregatkins68@gmail.com

I have the same issues with my Fire TV (2nd gen) and Fire Stick 4K.  I open the app and it immediately goes back to the Amazon home screen.  When I open the app again, it will show a black screen which leads me to have to force stop and restart.   I'll see if it happens when the screensaver kicks on or if the device goes to sleep.

I never have these problems with Plex or any other app I use on my streaming device.