Have to Force Close Sometimes

karambit27

I can reproduce this if I run, Netflix, YouTube then emby.

Then if I leave it on without using it, press the home button and let the fire stick go to screen saver.

Press the home button again and try to open emby. Black screen.

That's interesting info and would lead me to believe it could be related to the Android system shutting the app down due to memory needs.

I'll look into that.

Thanks.

karambit27

It just happened as I was about to respond to this post. I also think it seems to happen when using Emby then another app and letting it go to sleep. When I come back and try to use Emby I get the issue. In this case the last app I used was the NHL app.If I use Emby last, I can't recall this happening but I'm not 100% sure so I will try and keeps notes. Attached is my server log. 

Edit: attached log

embyserver.txt

Edited by karambit27

It just happened as I was about to respond to this post. I also think it seems to happen when using Emby then another app and letting it go to sleep. When I come back and try to use Emby I get the issue. In this case the last app I used was the NHL app. If I use Emby last, I can't recall this happening but I'm not 100% sure so I will try and keeps notes. Attached is my server log. 

Hi, did you forget to attach the server log?

lightsout

I have this problem on my shield honestly most the time I open Emby lately. Just happened right now.

Watching Netflix, pushed home to close Netflix, open Emby it flashes a split second and back to the home screen. Open Emby again and it's a black screen. I then double tap home and force close and it opens correctly.

Seeing this often lately.

Watching Netflix, pushed home to close Netflix, open Emby it flashes a split second and back to the home screen. Open Emby again and it's a black screen. I then double tap home and force close and it opens correctly.

Right after that sequence, can you send a log from the app?

Thanks.

Next time it does it I will grab the log. 

Hi.  Not grab a server log, but follow those instructions to send the log from the app.  Be sure to turn on the debug options now so that it will already be enabled when this happens.

Thanks.

lightsout

Hi.  Not grab a server log, but follow those instructions to send the log from the app.  Be sure to turn on the debug options now so that it will already be enabled when this happens.

Thanks.

Ok I did, thanks.

karambit27

I think I can reproduce the issue. It just happened again after using Emby last night then the NHL app to end the night and letting it go to sleep at the Home screen after. I just tried to use Emby and got the black screens. I will enable Debug logging and try again. I am using a Fire TV Stick 4K.

EDIT: I was able to reproduce the issue and after doing a force close I went back in and just sent the logs now. Let me know if you need me to do it again as it seems to be fairly reproducible for me. 

Edited by karambit27

I think I can reproduce the issue. It just happened again after using Emby last night then the NHL app to end the night and letting it go to sleep at the Home screen after. I just tried to use Emby and got the black screens. I will enable Debug logging and try again. I am using a Fire TV Stick 4K.

EDIT: I was able to reproduce the issue and after doing a force close I went back in and just sent the logs now. Let me know if you need me to do it again as it seems to be fairly reproducible for me. 

Thanks, but if I found your correct log (user Phil?) then there are no errors in it :(.

karambit27

Thanks, but if I found your correct log (user Phil?) then there are no errors in it :(.

That's the correct user. I'm not sure why there's no error. I had debug options enabled in the app. I'm out of town today but I'll try again tomorrow.

That's the correct user. I'm not sure why there's no error. I had debug options enabled in the app. I'm out of town today but I'll try again tomorrow.

The crash is happening in a previous session.  Most times, we get enough of the log to see this in subsequent sessions but, in this case, not.  It may just be that the error is occurring in a process other than ours so our logging isn't capturing it.

• 3 weeks later...
pr3dict

This is the same issue I've been having for months on my shield.. Obviously everyone is not having this issue so maybe there is a subset common to all of us?

Should we be sharing what server OS we are using and the sharing method? I'm using Debian and cifs/samba to share the content.

This is the same issue I've been having for months on my shield.. Obviously everyone is not having this issue so maybe there is a subset common to all of us?

Should we be sharing what server OS we are using and the sharing method? I'm using Debian and cifs/samba to share the content.

Almost no one has this issue on the Shield.  It is usually the Fire devices that will.

You could try the procedure I outlined above to send a log and see if we can see anything in yours.

Thanks.

Ummm... Post #29 is using a shield... And I have an entire thread about my issue that has still not concluded..

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76547-shield-crashes-when-first-using-emby-after-not-for-a-little/

I understand but these two cases are just about the only ones I know of on that device and I continue to be somewhat baffled by them.

Perhaps listing everything else that is installed on the Shield would be a useful exercise (as well as sending a log).

• 4 weeks later...
karambit27

Anymore insight gained into this issue? Is there anything I can provide to help? This is happening on all 3 of my Fire TV Stick 4K's still.

Anymore insight gained into this issue? Is there anything I can provide to help? This is happening on all 3 of my Fire TV Stick 4K's still.

Exactly what is happening and in what scenarios?

Thanks.

karambit27

I have to force close the app frequently. It seems to occur if I use the Emby app and then another app and then the device goes to sleep. When I try to use the Emby app again the issue occurs. I've tried sending logs in this thread but you didn't see anything in them. I can try again if needed.

I have to force close the app frequently. It seems to occur if I use the Emby app and then another app and then the device goes to sleep. When I try to use the Emby app again the issue occurs. I've tried sending logs in this thread but you didn't see anything in them. I can try again if needed.

Do you back out of Emby or do you use the "Home" button to exit?

rbjtech

Happening here too and has been for months - I have three 2nd Gen Fire TV sticks (non 4K), I will turn on debugging and keep sending logs to try and get this solved.  Interestingly, it has never happened on the Fire TV (not stick).

lightsout

Just happened again on the new shield. Honestly it happens most of the time.

1. Start shield from sleep with harmony remote.

2. Select emby app.

3. Tries to open, basically the screen flashes, back to home screen.

4. Select emby again, opens to black screen, have to force close.

5. Select emby again opens normal.

This is repeatable I just tested it as I typed. I turn the shield off (puts it to sleep) with the off button on my harmony remote will turns off the tv and AVR.

Great, @@ebr will try that out. Thanks for those steps.

I literally do that every day multiple times and have never been able to cause this issue.  I even use a Harmony remote as well.  There is some other factor we haven't identified yet.

When it "flashes back to the home screen" do you see anything at all from the app?  The emby logo, a spinner, anything?

Did you send a log from the app right after doing all of that?