Have to Force Close Sometimes

karambit27

karambit27

I can't seem to reliably reproduce this but it does happen fairly often. Sometimes when I go to the Emby app to open it, it will flash a black screen and then go back to the home screen on my Fire Stick 4K. If I try to open it again it goes to a black screen for maybe 20-30 secs and then back to the home screen. The 3rd time it will usually open and load fine. If I force close the app after the first quicker black screen it opens and loads fine. It seems to be after using another app such as Netflix or Amazon's Silk browser though I can't say that for sure. I have seen this behavior on all 3 of the Fire Stick 4K's running the latest 6265 software. I am not sure what other info I can provide or if you have access to logs on these devices. I will try to see if I can reliably reproduce it. I don't see this behavior with any other apps.

Edited by karambit27

Gilgamesh_48

I noticed similar happenings on my 4K Fire Stick as well. I had numerous varied audio and video issues as well. I ended up retiring the stick and going back to just a regular Fire TV. The stick now resides comfortably in one of my utility drawers in my workshop.

It was not only Emby that had problems but several other apps as well.

I am convinced that my Fire stick has a basic flaw that was manifesting in several different but related ways. It simply became not worth the trouble to try to actually chase down the problem.

I now use my Roku Ultras and my Shield TV and my Basic Fire TV for all my viewing and I could not be happier with my streaming.

Hi.  The next time this happens to you, please post here exactly what time it happened.

Thanks.

karambit27

I noticed similar happenings on my 4K Fire Stick as well. I had numerous varied audio and video issues as well. I ended up retiring the stick and going back to just a regular Fire TV. The stick now resides comfortably in one of my utility drawers in my workshop.

It was not only Emby that had problems but several other apps as well.

I am convinced that my Fire stick has a basic flaw that was manifesting in several different but related ways. It simply became not worth the trouble to try to actually chase down the problem.

I now use my Roku Ultras and my Shield TV and my Basic Fire TV for all my viewing and I could not be happier with my streaming.

This hasn't been my experience at all. All 3 of mine have worked great. I've only seen this one minor issue and deinterlacing of MPEG2 feeds from my antenna via my HDHomerun. The latter has since been fixed via an update from Amazon and even before that I just had Emby transcode and do the deinterlacing so it wasn't much of a problem.

Hi.  The next time this happens to you, please post here exactly what time it happened.

Thanks.

Thanks I will make sure to do that.

karambit27

It just kind of happened at 11:37AM EDT. This time it quickly flashed back to the home screen after selecting the Emby app but the second time it loaded just fine. Usually the second time takes a significantly longer time before also flashing back to the home screen.

karambit27

It just happened again between 1:32PM and 1:33PM EDT just now. This time was the normal behavior of a quick black screen then back to Home followed by a second longer 30-45sec black screen before going back to the home screen.

Edited by karambit27

It just happened again between 1:32PM and 1:33PM EDT just now. This time was the normal behavior of a quick black screen then back to Home followed by a second longer 30-45sec black screen before going back to the home screen.

Had the device gone to sleep since the last time you used it?

karambit27

Had the device gone to sleep since the last time you used it?

No in this case this case the YouTube app was going playing a video beforehand. It may have gone to sleep before that though.

No in this case this case the YouTube app was going playing a video beforehand. It may have gone to sleep before that though.

Right, what I meant was had it gone to sleep since the last time you used Emby...

karambit27

Right, what I meant was had it gone to sleep since the last time you used Emby...

In that case yes it did.

Elpicante

I was having this issue as well. I disabled the screen saver and that seems to have fixed the issue. I haven’t had to force close since.

chef

I was having this issue as well. I disabled the screen saver and that seems to have fixed the issue. I haven’t had to force close since.

I'm going to try this. Seems to happen to me spiratically.

Do you know how long of an idle period there was before the screen saver was showing?

If the app is in the foreground and the screen saver kicks in and you then touch a remote button, the app is still running fine, correct?

Elpicante

If the app is in the foreground and the screen saver kicks in and you then touch a remote button, the app is still running fine, correct?

Yes, that’s correct. I’ve found that turning off the screen saver did not fix the issue. It appears that this occurs when using other Apps then going back to Emby. This happens with the screen saver on or off.

This happened just now. After using Netflix and then Perfect Player last night I went to Emby this morning. First time I opened it the screen flashes for half a second and then the app closed. The Emby App then moved to the beginning of the “Most Recent” tab indicating that it opened and then closed. Second time, I opened the app and it goes to a blank black page. No matter how long I wait nothing loads. Then I hit the Home button on the Fire remote. The 3rd time the app loads up fine. It doesn’t appear to be in sync with the server though as something I was watching on another device didn't seem to pick up from where I left off. Backing out, the “Continue Watching” then updates where I had left off.

This happened just now. After using Netflix and then Perfect Player last night I went to Emby this morning.

The key here is the fact that the device went to sleep between sessions more than the use of other apps, I believe.

Perhaps Amazon changed the time it takes for the device to sleep.  Can you please test exactly how long it is between your last interaction with the device and when it goes to sleep?

chef

Okay I can confirm Eric's hypothesis:  it happens when my Fire stick sleeps, and Emby is open. 

It will return to a blank screen.

Pressing the Home button will bring up the Home Menu, but trying to access Emby again will sit on a blank screen.

Between restarting the server, or restarting the Fire stick, I choose to restart the firestick because the remote is in my hand.

After that, the connection is renewed and all if fine.

I will test the sleep timeout of the firestick tonight to confirm approximately how long it is between last interaction and when it sleeps. 

To bad there wasn't a flag in Googles apk that could be read to cancel connections in Apps before the devices went to sleep.

I will test the sleep timeout of the firestick tonight to confirm approximately how long it is between last interaction and when it sleeps. 

Please let me know the outcome of this.  Perhaps this timing has changed and that is why this is cropping up again.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had any luck testing this? I haven't been able to but I am still experiencing this issue. 

Have you noticed any common factors from when it does happen?

No I haven't been able to yet. 

Can you capture the emby server log the next time it happens? Thanks.

Can you capture the emby server log the next time it happens? Thanks.

We should at least try this but the problem is that it is virtually impossible to determine when the actual problem occurs.

When you bring up the app to a blank or hung screen that just means the app crashed at some point since you last visited it.  It isn't crashing right when you bring it up.

In the past, this was related to attempting to perform any network operations either right when the device is going to sleep or when it is coming out of sleep and the nature of that behavior makes it virtually impossible to gain any logs of the event.

A year or so ago, the app started making sure that it shut itself down completely whenever the device goes to sleep and that seemed to all but eliminate this issue for people that were seeing it.  It seems like maybe something in a recent Fire OS update has changed that is causing this to no longer work anymore.

All of this is exacerbated by the fact that I have never been able to make this happen in any environment I have so am always guessing on what the issue actually is.

Anyway - please do post a server log if you can the next time this happens.  Maybe we'll be able to spot a clue.

Thanks.

I can reproduce this if I run, Netflix, YouTube then emby.

Then if I leave it on without using it, press the home button and let the fire stick go to screen saver.

Press the home button again and try to open emby. Black screen.

I think my fire stick over heats and becomes unresponsive.

I have started to believe this is a hardware issue.

• Like 1