Certain Folders Suddenly Causing Crash

SpiderValley

SpiderValley

I'm using media browser classic with Version 3.0.5256.36270 of the server. I use the classic theme on an Xbox 360.

I've been using MB for about 8 months and have never had any issues until now. After a recent server update (I couldn't tell you which one as they're so frequent), certan folders are no longer accessible. I can browse their contents just fine in the web browser client and even stream them from that interface, but when I try to open them in media browser classic (through windows media center) I get the message:

"Program Not Responding - The Media Browser Program has stopped responding and you will be returned to Windows Media Center."

I have my movies in separate media folders by genre and suddenly this started to my Scifi folder, despite the fact that I hadn't altered the folder or its contents in any way. I thought, "maybe I'll exit and restart the server/MB classic", but after doing that my Horror folder also started delivering the "Program Not Responding" message, again with absolutely no changes made by me.

As I said, I didn't alter the folders in any way. On the off-chance that there was a problematic folder/file, I made 5 new folders (Horror 1, Horror 2, etc.) and divided the movies among them, but NONE of these folders worked either after adding them, so I don't know if it's a specific file causing the error or what.

Any help would be appreciated, and if you need more information from me I can provde that.

Thanks.

Looks like the latest dev server has made a change in an enum that is incompatible with the current model.

Type=Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializationException Msg=Error converting value "EmbeddedImage" to type 'MediaBrowser.Model.Entities.MediaStreamType'. Path 'Items[1].MediaStreams[2].Type'

@@Luke can we keep this from happening?

yea sorry. i thought all i did was add a new entry. could be wrong though.

Looks like that enum is being converted to its string equivalent in the json so, adding a new one breaks the other end because that string equivalent doesn't exist in the model on that side.

SpiderValley

Just thought I'd add that I'm able to add new folders with OTHER video files in them. However if I try to put any of the videos from the two problem folders in a freshly-created, newly-titled folder, it will also cause the "Program Not Responding" error.

Oh yea, and I'm now on version 3.0.5260.28436.

SpiderValley

I did some searching and saw that about 95 video files had embedded images, so I removed them, and that folder is currently up and running again. Hopefully the problem won't repeat itself.  Thanks for the tip.

The problem is you have some content with embedded images and that is what is throwing it.

I'm not sure there is going to be any way to make this backward compatible with the existing MBC so it might be best if the server rolls back providing any content with that new value until I have a chance to get an MBC version out there that will be able to handle it.

SpiderValley

Nevermind that last message. Once the server fetched metadata/images for the movies in these folders, the problem started happening again.

@@Luke - can we remove this from the API for this next release?  It needs to stay defined in the model but just not have any of those actual values delivered by the requests.

• 2 weeks later...
SpiderValley

I'm on Version 3.0.5271.29451 now and this problem keeps getting worse. I'm not doing ANYTHING to my media folders or adding any new content, yet slowly but surely more and more folders are giving me this message. It seems to be the same problem, but I don;t understand why folders that were working fine suddenly have stopped working randomly.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Sorry I can't be more specific, but I really don't understand what is causing the issue.

Update to the dev release of MBC.

Unfortunately, the new server made some changes that, in rare circumstances, may cause MBC to crash.

SpiderValley

Upgraded. Still having the same issue, with one more folder no longer working. Thanks anyway.

If you are running the current version of the server and the current dev version of MBC it can't be the same problem so please post another log and/or event log error.  Thx.

SpiderValley

I'm currently using Version 3.0.5274.22638 of the server. I have it set to automaticaly update to the dev. build, so I think this is the most recent release. As far as MBClassic goes, i haven't known how to update just the client since the separate "Media Browser Configurator" app was basically rendered obsolete, though I assumed it was also automatically being updated.

Same issue as I originally stated (though it's apparently a different cause). Selecting certain folders causes it to give me the "Program Not Responding" message without fail, though I can browse those folders contents, and stream them from the online dashboard.

I included the MBClassic log from the last time I replicated the problem, and I can include a server log too if that helps.

MBClassic-13620146c47b07f428c4906b04bcff9ac278f51.log

You are on a really old version of MBC.  Update it either via the config page inside MBC or by re-installing the beta from the website.

SpiderValley

I Updated MBClassic to 3.0.182. I apologize for my ignorance/incompetence in updating, but I'm glad I know how now. For the longest time MBClassic wasn't showing up in my active devices, so I wasn't sure what version it was, but after updating I see it again.

The problematic folders all seem to be working now. Thanks so much for helping me out and again I apologize for this thread when the solution was something I should've figured out on my own. Much appreciated ebr for troubleshooting and to Yogi for linking me to log posting procedures.

Edited by SpiderValley

techywarrior

Now that you are on the latest version of MBC you shouldn't have the updating problem anymore as it will tell you that a new version is available and prompt you in MBC to restart to install it. Also, plugins now get updated automatically in MBC (restart required. But the next time you load MBC they will be the new version)