Subgenres

Romek123

Romek123

A collection with more than 1000 or 2000 movies is very difficult to search for content on the client side.
And only 10-15 genres that are quite general don't really help.

Therefore my suggestion would be:

Subgenres

This would be possible if you could link any tags to genres similar to the Genre-Cleaner plugins.
Then you would only have to click on the genre and it open a list with the linked tags -> you would have subgenres - freely configurable.

This could be even a Plugin itself which you could add for premium users

Edited by Romek123

adamstewiegreen

The problem (unless you have a solution) is that not all subgenres fit into any one genre.  Take the exploitation subgenre: some are horror (road games) some are action (faster pussycat, kill kill!) or even the subset of the exploitation subgenre: women in prison there's action (Female in Prison #701 - Scorpion) and Drama (Orange is the New Black) - that's three genres in one subgenre and a sub-sub genre.

This is the case for most subgenres, like both chambara and jidaigeki can be drama, action or adventure plus a chambara can be a jidaigeki and a jidaigeki can be a chambara.

Then to add to the frustration, there are no subgenre databases (some are scattered about in tags, but it's hit or miss) anywhere on the net.

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that I may have to add a lot more genres into genres and go through my movies one by one.

Hi.  The upcoming server release will allow you to view by tags so that should cover this, no?

Romek123

when i can clean + map the tags than this should be fine

right now i have like 10000 tags which got scraped from tmdb and to fix them manually is not possible

Edit:

for adamstewiegreen

I take subgenres from https://www.allmovie.com/genres and add them manually as tag to the file.

In Kodi i made smartplaylists for the tags and addet extra nodes for genres. Was great and i miss this feature/ filter.

Edited by Romek123
  • Like 1

right now i have like 10000 tags which got scraped from tmdb and to fix them manually is not possible

These were imported by Emby's metadata fetching?

Romek123

each movie has on tmdb like 5-15 tags. i had a lot self made tags over the years + scraped some outside form imdb.

had additional tags like 1001 for the "1001 Movies you should see until you die" collection. Blackbuster, Independent, B-Movie, Mindfuck ... etc.

anyway - they are all gone now from an database error ... now i have only the normal scraped from tmdb in emby and i dont know how many they are

Edit: something REALLY important - self made tags should not be overwritten when scrape tags

Edited by Romek123

something REALLY important - self made tags should not be overwritten when scrape tags

Hi there, we don't do this.

adamstewiegreen

when i can clean + map the tags than this should be fine

Edit:

for adamstewiegreen

I take subgenres from https://www.allmovie.com/genres and add them manually as tag to the file.

In Kodi i made smartplaylists for the tags and addet extra nodes for genres. Was great and i miss this feature/ filter.

I can't believe I've never seen this site before... although it's lacking more in-depth info it is the first site I've seen with decent subgenre info.  And it has all the more "obscure" films I throw at it.  This is kind of a game changer for me as I've been looking for somewhere with subgenre info...

This site would be great for the Netflix style recommendations people keep requesting.  (Too bad their TOS says no scraping)

I may start filling in extra genres into my movies soon.

Romek123

i added all this subgenres as genres like Horror - Vampires; SciFi - Space Opera; ... etc. but it looks ugly in emby with the big genre icons

maybe OK when could see genres in a list view