PlayOn and MediaBrowser on same computer?

jhs39

jhs39

This is probably a stupid question but I'm not someone with a lot of technical knowledge so I apologize.  I was thinking about trying Play On because I've never been able to get the live TV plug-ins from Media Browser to work on my computer.  Can Play On and Media Browser both be running at the same time if I am not streaming with both simultaneously?  Would I need to close one of the services in order to use the other?  Would simply installing Play On screw up Media Browser where I wouldn't be able to use it anymore?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  I've been looking on this site and the Internet in general and haven't been able to find any useful info regarding what would actually happen if I installed Play On on the same computer where Media Browser is already running.     

Koleckai Silvestri

Only thing that should cause a conflict is if they try to use the same port. Other than that, you should be able to run multiple programs on your computer at the same time.

• Like 1

Dkeyguy1

I had Playon installed from day one on the same machine with MB3 server, and Classic. Occasionally they both chew a lot of memory at the same time, maintenance, boot up,  but other than that I've had no conflicts.

It hasn't seemed to effect performance at all.

• Like 1

AgileHumor

It would be pretty cool to have a PlayOn plugin for MBC.  That would solve the Netflix and Amazon streaming issue.

saitoh183

It would be pretty cool to have a PlayOn plugin for MBC.  That would solve the Netflix and Amazon streaming issue.

Yeah it would but i think MBS doesnt support reading upnp atm. In MBC it would be pointless cuz i think there is a plugin that still exist (check the playon forum) that will install directly into WMC.

Edited by saitoh183

• 1 month later...
vidkun

I just asked about the same thing in the channel sub-forum. Figured I'd throw in my request here as well. It would be awesome to see an MBS plugin/channel for accessing PlayOn content via MBS.

jhs39

I was the one who originally posted this question.  I've found that PlayOn and MBC work fine on the same computer, as others have said.  PlayOn is also a good back-up for video files because the ones that MBC can't handle properly generally play fine with PlayOn.  The only problem with the latter is that it isn't subtitle friendly.    

vidkun

I was mostly trying to second AgileHumor's request for a PlayOn plugin for MBS. Ideally, it would be nice to have MBS pickup streams from the PlayOn server and be able to then forward those along to MB3 clients such as the iPad app or XBMB3C.