Apple TV App blank without internet

captainchadl
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

captainchadl

Hello all,

This is my first post to the forum. I have had my Emby server up and running in a jail in FreeNas for about 2 months now (Emby Version 4.1.1.0). Last week the internet went out for an entire day, but I was not able to watch movies from the server on the Apple TV. I could however view them in my web browser on my laptop by going to the local IP address of the server. The problem was when I tried to open the Emby app on the Apple TV the screen was just white. I assume that this application loads from the internet, so that is why the screen was just white. Although I could be wrong. 

Is there any device I can purchase that will run the Emby application when the internet is out other than my laptop? I tried a Roku Ultra, but It would not connect to the server when I disconnected the modem to simulate an outage, but I could still access the Emby server through the browser on my laptop.

Thanks in Advance,

Chad

• Solution

Hi, the app currently requires an internet connection but we plan to resolve this in an upcoming update. Thanks.

• Like 1

I tried a Roku Ultra, but It would not connect to the server when I disconnected the modem to simulate an outage, but I could still access the Emby server through the browser on my laptop.

How are you connecting to your Emby server with that Roku? Is it via Emby Connect? To use Emby without an internet connection with a Roku you need to use the local IP address that doesn't cross the modem. If anything you do has to travel through the modem to arrive at your Roku it will not work of course. But you need to make sure you route your Roku to your local Emby server and it will work. Simulate the outage (pull the internet cord out). Once simulated use the local IP address and choose skip (connect manually) or new/add server. Your Roku can/will work without internet if it can see your Emby server on your local network.

If the app didn't work on the Roku without internet we would have "riots" in the Roku threads about it. This is something happening to you because of a firewall or some other condition. It isn't because the Roku app cannot work without internet. Let me dispell that rumor and put some fact into the equation.

Edited by speechles

captainchadl

How are you connecting to your Emby server with that Roku? Is it via Emby Connect? To use Emby without an internet connection with a Roku you need to use the local IP address that doesn't cross the modem. If anything you do has to travel through the modem to arrive at your Roku it will not work of course. But you need to make sure you route your Roku to your local Emby server and it will work. Simulate the outage (pull the internet cord out). Once simulated use the local IP address and choose skip (connect manually) or new/add server. Your Roku can/will work without internet if it can see your Emby server on your local network.

If the app didn't work on the Roku without internet we would have "riots" in the Roku threads about it. This is something happening to you because of a firewall or some other condition. It isn't because the Roku app cannot work without internet. Let me dispell that rumor and put some fact into the equation.

I use the local IP address to connect to the server. I already pulled the cord to the modem to simulate an outage as mentioned in my opening post.

captainchadl

Roku Update: 

The Roku now works without an internet connection. The only thing I can figure is that when I took it out of the box to set it up, there was an update for the Roku that I installed the first time as as a result the Emby app was giving me a hard time. After I was unsatisfied with it not wanting to connect to the server without an internet connection, I had boxed it up to return it to the store. In the process I had reset the Roku back to Factory. I decided to take it out of the box and give it another shot, since I hadn't a chance to return it yet. This time there was no update on set up since I had already applied the update the other day. Now wouldn't you know it, it connected to my server with only a warning, that hadn't appeared when I first attempted to connect without internet, that the Emby application may not work without internet connection. I then selected proceed anyway and it connected. 

Thanks for the feedback. Yes our Roku app should work well that way.

• 1 year later...
cnwinger

Has there been any update to this?  I was without internet for 2 days due to a wildfire.  Emby on AppleTV would not load.

My kids asked me, "why can't we watch these movies...aren't they on our server?" I didn't have a good answer for them. 

captainchadl
4 minutes ago, cnwinger said:

Has there been any update to this?  I was without internet for 2 days due to a wildfire.  Emby on AppleTV would not load.

My kids asked me, "why can't we watch these movies...aren't they on our server?" I didn't have a good answer for them. 

As far as I know, it is still an issue. I have since used Roku and it works without an internet connection. I highly recommend the Roku; It supports more formats than the apple tv and the Emby user interface is really nice too on the Roku.

cnwinger

I really like the AppleTV device though.  There's just a few issues with Emby on it that can hopefully be addressed.